45. Epilogue I: Rick POV
229 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The night was dark, but the light of the streets dominated the field. 

The bright lights of the buildings were reflecting on my eyes. But I could still see through with my sight. 

I turned on the radio and listened to pop music. My passengers were happily sightseeing the city from their own perspectives. 

As a driver, it was an honor to give them a ride since they were the piece of work for the country of the United Realm. But frankly, I had a high expectations for Holmer to reach a new height in Freedom City.

"So... what just happened to you earlier, Hol?" I inquired as I took a peek at the front mirror. "Me? Well, it is nothing. I don't think it will give you a valid reason to believe my story," Holmer refused to tell me his story. 

"C'mon, I'm not going to make fun of your story, Hol," I assured. "No... I'm sorry. I don't mean any disrespect. But please, let's move on. I don't want to remember it. That delusional imagination is really putting me in bad weather," Holmer apologized and shifted his gaze to the window.

'I wonder what happened to him. He is apathetic to stating what happened to him earlier. That miasma... I wonder why it ate him alive. I guess I am still unworthy of his trust. As I expected from a veteran hunter, he is not easy to persuade,' I commented inside my head. 

"Hmm, the United States is really open for everyone, huh? No wonder everyone is migrating in this nation," complimented Helena as she observed the city in its bright light. "Yup, that's why my fellow Filipinos and other immigrants are trying to establish a name here. Most of the people who took residency here are nurses, doctors, accountants and laborers. In fact, I am also one of the ambitious men who wanted to stay here too," Holmer proudly proclaimed. 

"Is that it?" asked Helena with her eyebrows raised up. "Nope, let me add this. US is a good place to earn big bucks. Their gross national income is very tempting," Holmer explained with a smiling teeth. 

The princess wasn't impressed. 

'But my country GNI is higher than USA, though. He must be joking, I supposed,' I sighed. 

"And what state do you want to stay here in?" I asked, smiling. "California or Hawaii. I am still ambivalent between the two states. Texas sounds promising start too because the climate is tempting for me. Do you know why we love to live hete? Because this is mostly the land of opportunith for a poor human being like me. I graduated of 4-year course related to Accounting, you see. I want to plant a seed of success here," Holmer pounded a fist on his chest with smiling teeth.

"That's good to hear. I  was also a graduate of 4 years at Harvard University, but I migrated to United Realm after I was transferred by the company. Then, as of today,  I still keep living there with my family," I stated as I recalled my time together with my wife. 

"Is accounting related to hunter's work?" Helena placed a finger on her chin as she asked it. "Yes, but it is classified as Class SS rank. The most dangerous people are the 'Auditors', they are formerly CIA agents who possessed a tremendous talent in their work. Since the United Realm is a supervised state of the United Nations. Most of the agents who worked for America migrated there. Then, they formed this special class to separate themselves from the other agents. To sump it up, Holmer is one of them who worked for America too," I declared with smiling teeth. "Excuse me... I don't think so. How on earth did my degree become a lit? Your description is a bit different from what I know. By the way, I am an ordinary civilian of the Philippines. Plus, I have no affiliation with the CIA," Holmer reluctantly denied. 

"I read your file. And I was of the luckiest people who witnessed your overwhelming ability that no one could explain in one glance. I am very impress of your clean record Your profile is green. Neatly done. No one can suspect you as a government special agent. But that is how the CIA works behind the scene. To hide your true identity. I don't know what happened to you, but I promise that I will keep it a secret, Hol," I reassured. "Me... Me too. Unbelievable. You're incredible, my savior. I want to become like you too!" Helena grabbed a hem of his cloth with glistering eyes. 

"Susmaryosep. I'm telling you, people. I am not a CIA agent. Mr. Bond, I believe you have to review my file again. You're accusing me with baseless assumption," Holmer scolded as he tried to explain his side. "Ho-ho, I'm an SS-Class hunter, Hol. You can fool the mass, but not everyone else. Even Ms. Adrielle can clarify my claims about your story. That you worked as a CIA agent," I jeered. "Yeah, I can justify his claims are undoubtedly correct. Stop denying the facts. It is not an assumption. It is the truth. I glimpsed your power with my own eyes, you know," Helena pouted her cheeks as she hit his shoulder to man up. 

"My goodness, how can you say that? Do you have proof, Mr. Bond?" Holmer debated, trying to disclose it with a difficult question. "Based on my study, the Philippines is a former puppet state of the United States of America. For fifty years before its independence, it is the main base of the O.S.S. agency also known as the Central Intelligence Agency to act as a center base of intelligence across the Southeast Asia and East Asia. That country was the main base of their operation during cold war too, Hol. Stop fooling around and accept the fact that you're already busted. I know who you really are," I pointed out and gurgled into laughter. 

'Don't try to deny it, man. Your existence is unordinary,' I smiled. 

"Huh? I'm sorry to say this. That's bullshit. I'm an ordinary civilian, sir. Trust me," Holmer claimed. "Yeah, yeah, forget about it. You no longer a CIA, but a special agent who left the country because of a reason. I understand. Lets end this and move on," I waved a hand to disclose this.

'Why are you always denying it? Man, you're a piece of work, Holmer,' I giggled. 

As we entered the highway, I sensed something odd within my perimeter. 

Two of the black vehicles approached our car, one was from the left and the other was on the right side. 

'Don't tell me, they are going to hit us?' I slowly hovered my hand on the handbrake. I gulped my saliva with a cold sweat. 

"Guys... This is bad. We have company. I advise you to prepare yourself, everyone," I warned as I tightly gripped the steering wheel. "Say what?" Holmer faltered. "I knew it. They ain't civilian cars that you can see commonly on the highway," Helena heaved a tiring sigh. 

"I believe they are going to rump us in the next turn," I commented. "If you ask me, I can handle them. Just say the word, instructor. I'll do it," Helena volunteered to initiate an attack. 

"No, no, please wait a second. I don't think they are going to do that yet. It will only get the attention of the police at the next station," Holmer shrugged it off and smiled. "My savior, please... This is my time to shine. Don't make an excuse to stop me, okay? I know you are worried about me. But... I promise I will show a good performance this time," Helena pouted her cheeks and hit his shoulder lightly. 

"Hol, I think you should stay low this time. This is a good combat experience for her. You don't have to worry about her health. She can handle it," I giggled as I stated it promptly. "I believe you guys are misunderstanding what I meant. Never mind. Do what you want to do. But I advise to attack when they provoke us first," Holmer suggested as he pointed his thumb at the car on his right.

"You know, you are right. I might be paranoid. But my instinct is telling me that these vehicles are hostile people. I don't know their agenda, but I believe they are here to kill us," I pointed out. "Someone... Someone leaked the information about me, right? They are after me," Helena gritted her teeth angrily. 

'Yeah... There is a rat in the HR department. I have to make a report to my wife after we escape this one,' I was infuriated. 

"They will start to attack us when we reach the next lane. Please buckle up," I advised. "Yes, instructor," Helena nodded. 

"Whoa, do they know where we heading to?" asked Holmer as he buckled up his seatbelt. "Based on my observation, I think so. They are just trying to hold us off by putting us in distress. This situation is just basic psychological warfare to make us panic," I affirmed. 

"Then, I suggest speeding up first. To chase them away. Make a turn at the next exit point. Then, we will turn around and return to this highway again. Accelerate as fast as possible to lose them off," Holmer instructed as he pointed a finger at the Ace exit. "Oooh, you read my mind. That's what I am planning to begin with. As expected of my pal, you're pretty good at this job," I complimented as I changed the gear from 4 to 5. 

The car accelerated as fast as it could. The two black cars tried to chase us, but I immediately turned left to the Ace exit. 

I could see from the rear window that they panicked. 

"Yeah, we got them. They are now changing course to follow us again," Helena cheered. "Don't celebrate yet. They are now coming closer again," Holmer clicked his tongue as he saw them entering the Ace exit too. 

I pushed the accelerator and speed up from 100 to 160 kilometers.

"This is going to be tough. Hold on, everybody!" I warned as I changed the gear and pulled out the handbrake. "Holy shit!" Holmer screamed. 

The car drifted on the U-turn lane and I immediately steered the wheel to the right. Then, I changed the gear from 1 to 3 to accelerate faster. 

The two chasing cars lose their balance and hit the concrete barrier in front of them. 

"This is why you guys need to study car racing," I commented. "This is not the time to be arrogant, instructor. Just keep your eyes peeled on the road," Helena cried. 

"Mamma mia, I almost lose my soul from that drift," Holmer placed a hand on his chest and wiped his sweat. "Dude... That's just a basic drift. C'mon, this is normal for a veteran to know it," I giggled. 

"Mr. Bond, don't enter the entrance yet. Change the course into the city," Holmer advised as he saw the same brand of vehicle that followed us. "Oh, shit. Backups are here. Hold tight, passengers!" I reminded them as I changed the gear to 4. 

"Whoa, this is fuckin' dangerous. But it doesn't matter. It is better than being caught by these people," Holmer's tears welled up in his eyes. "OMG, this is hilarious. I love this moment," Helena overjoyed. 

"Are you fuckin' kidding me, Ms. Helena? This is not that time to be happy," Holmer scolded. "But... But.. It is fun!" Helena laughed. 

"Susmaryosep. What kind of food did you eat before we left?" quizzed Holmer as he tightly held his grip on the safety handle. "Peanuts? C'mon, my savior. I know you're enjoying this. This is what I always dream of. Being chased by the enemies like in the movies!" Helena cajoled. 

"Hey, hey, listen up, lovebirds. Stop flirting around," I jeered. "W-w-we're not coupled lovebirds!" both of them denied reluctantly. 

"No, no, no, he's not my type. But I like him. Eh, no. No, you got it wrong. No, I don't like him. Trust me, there is a small chance for him to receive my approval," Helena panicked. "Good grief, this is why I don't like being around women. You will always state awful comments," Holmer was infuriated. 

"Eh... Eh... I'm sorry, my savior. I don't mean to offend you. It is just... it's hard to say it. But I'm really sorry," Helena wrapped her hands around his shoulder. "Do as you, please. I don't give a shit anymore," Holmer shifted his gaze out of the window. 

'Seriously? Just date already,' I heaved a tiring sigh. 

5