Team ranking (3)
25 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The first team in the ranking has changed. It has turned out for the worse. The hooded young man did not linger to know how many points they possessed. He was just delighted that their team was right at the top.

Peter's knees buckled. He no longer has the energy to watch any longer. His mentality is about to break down.

Just a few hours ago, he was still a high school student. He was just having fun with his clubmates. They are celebrating because their club won the annual school fest in the region.

Tonight was supposed to be a very memorable day.

Then why…?

Is everyone dying and killing each other? As if they lost their humanity?

Peter's horrifying thoughts overwhelmed him. His chest constricted, and he was almost hyperventilating on the spot. He doesn't want to see anyone dying. His father's death is already enough.

Peter's knees could no longer hold him up, so he collapsed to the ground. A metal bar hit his knee, making a loud thunk noise. The young man in a hood immediately looked up in their direction.

Cayden had already pulled Peter's head down.

"Peter?" Cayden put his hands on Peter's shoulders. His face is ashen, and his labored breathing makes Cayden frown.

Shortness of breath, breaking in a cold sweat, pale lips, and absent eyes. It's been a long time since Cayden saw this expression from his best friend.

The first time was when they attended his father's funeral. The second time is when they attended their first game together.

Memories suddenly flashed in Cayden's mind. He remembered their first game together. The 'Extreme' difficulty mode almost tore his best friend's mind apart.

In silence, Cayden patted Peter's head.

"Stop thinking."

Peter shivered and slowly looked up at him.

"Just trust me from now on. You don't need to dwell on things that will make you lose your mind, okay?"

Peter did not answer. The two of them are crouched down behind the roof's railing. The faint light from the sky above almost makes their crouched figures as if the two high school students are bathed in blood.

"If it makes you feel better, just think of this as one of your arcade games. Then I will also think of this as one of my secret room or escape games."

Hearing Cayden says those words, Peter blinked thrice as if he had woken himself up from his trance. "I don't play arcades. I play video games."

Cayden smiled lightly at Peter's refutation of his statement. "There's no difference."

"No, the two are entirely different." Peter insisted.

Looking closer at Peter, Cayden was glad his best friend had somehow diverted his mind from his negative thoughts.

I will not let you die.

You and Xyris are my greatest regret. Since I was given another chance to see you alive, I will not allow anything to happen to you both. Never.

Behind Peter, Cayden caught sight of the three figures of the 'hunters' in charge of this game. They are watching them with disapproving eyes.

Cayden's lips twitched. He had a bad feeling about this.

….

It didn't take long for that feeling to be proven. It was only a few minutes, but the hooded young man and his bulky partner had swept the ranking.

Player Count: 10

Remaining team: 5

Team ranking:

1. N2020 – 160 points

2. N2013 – 16 points

3. N2018 – 8 points

4. N2022 – 8 points

5. N2025 – 8 points

Under their feet, Cayden can hear hurried footsteps and that high-pitched laugh from the hooded young man.

"No, don't come near me!" One of the players shrieks at the top of his voice. He must have been trapped by those two. Judging by the sound Cayden hears, he can infer that the two trap him in a corridor.

It didn't take long for the scream to intensify, followed by the sound of flesh being ripped apart. Then a loud thud erupted, telling the two that the man was already dead and his body was discarded on the ground.

Player Count: 8

Remaining team: 4

Team ranking:

1. N2020 – 176 points

2. N2018 – 8 points

3. N2022 – 8 points

4. N2025 – 8 points

Cayden listened closely to the footsteps. He pulled Peter up, and the two hid behind the rooftop's septic tank. There are remnants of construction materials left all over the space. But when the two of them hid behind the tank, Cayden's nose smelled the disgusting scent of human feces.

Both he and Peter covered their mouth to stop gagging and listen closely to the movement. The building itself is not wide. And because of the construction materials left all over the place, the area is inevitably too small. But it gave leeway for them to hide and not be spotted.

On the floor below, Cayden can hear the screams of the remaining 3 teams. The bulky man and the hooded young man indeed don't have guns, but their strength is incomparable. The bulky man is a power crazed huge guy, while the hooded young man is a psychopath.

Cayden raked his eyes in the roof, looking for weapons they could use. After seeing that bulky man's body and comparing it to Peter's, there's no way Peter can win.

Cayden did not let any worries show in his face. Psychopaths are the most dangerous. He can't let Peter deal with that guy.

Cayden's mind worked fast. What should Peter do to defeat the bulky guy? Face to face combat will put him at a disadvantage.

Cayden's brows frowned slightly, and he glanced around the roof. Metal pipes, along with the spilled paint, are scattered everywhere. There are also aluminum, bricks, ceramics, and concrete – but none are helpful to aid Peter.

While Cayden is still pondering over things, Peter suddenly picks a heavy metal pipe from the side and tests the object to see if it is good to use as a weapon. Then there was some rope on Peter's side that he rolled on his palm.

"What are you trying to do?"

2