11. Engagement
779 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lin Han Xing’s face turned blue from the moment he heard what Lin Zi Xuan said. He was very angry. “Your Majesty, since this matter involved Princess Ning, how about if we ask for her opinion?”

Lin Xie Ya really wanted to interject, but then she noticed her husband was looking in her direction. She understood that he was planning on taking the compensation in order to increase his influence and also strengthen his position.

Even though she hated to be involved with this Lin Han Xing, she had no choice but to stay silent.

The Emperor looked at how desperate Lin Han Xing was and tapped the armchair calmly. Normally, a child’s marriage would not be decided by the child themselves and it was their parents who would make the arrangement. However, it was clear that Lin Han Xing wouldn’t let this matter rest until he got what he wanted.

What a hassle.

He didn’t want to bother with this annoying man. Because the decree to make him a prince came from his father, he couldn’t really change it. If he did, there would be a lot of people trying to question him.

“In that case, call Princess Ning when she woke up.”

“Yes, Your Majesty.”

The people in the hall walked out with various expression. Some of them were delighted, some were conflicted, some were passive, and there were also those who were feeling angry.

Lin Zi Xuan had an impassive expression as he watched his father fuming in front of him. He lowered his head slightly, not saying anything to the other party. His eyes were dark and deep, seemingly able to swallow everything in front of him whole.

“You better think before you say anything next time, Lin Zi Xuan.” Lin Han Xing looked at his son with displeased expression on his face.

“I always think about what I want say, Father.”

“You…”

Lin Zi Xuan looked at his father deeply but his eyes betrayed none of his emotion. Rather, Lin Han Xing could feel chills on his back when he saw this rebellious gaze from his son. It felt as if he was facing a wild wolf that was ready to pounce on him at any moment.

The feeling was very disturbing.

But there was really nothing that Lin Han Xing could do at this moment as he could see his son looked away.

Lin Han Xing snorted.

When they went back, he would sort this rebellious son of his!

 

Feng Ning didn’t know how long she slept.

She only recalled that she felt her throat was burning for a short period of time before she lost consciousness. As she started to open her eyes and noticed the ceiling in front of her, she felt that she must be lucky to be able to stay alive.

‘I didn’t think it’s that strong.’

Feng Ning only sipped a bit because she was worried that it would damage her body too much. But it turned out that even a little bit could still knock a little child out. How troublesome.

“Miss!”

Hearing the call, Feng Ning turned her head to the side and saw Xiao Yu beside her. Xiao Yu’s face was filled with tear marks as it was clear that she must have been bawling her eyes out when she heard what happened to Feng Ning.

‘I’m fine.’

Feng Ning was stunned. She tried to speak but felt searing pain from her neck. Not only that, there was no sound.

‘Did I wound my vocal cord?’

“Miss, don’t speak. The doctor said that your vocal cord is wounded.” Xiao Yu was still crying. She looked at Feng Ning warily, worried about how Feng Ning would be able to take this devastating news.

To be told that you wouldn’t be able to speak in your entire life again after waking up was clearly not the best way to start the day.

Feng Ning was silent.

In fact, she had already came to that conclusion when she felt the pain. Countless emotions whirled within her mind, but Feng Ning’s expression was mostly filled with calmness.

It was fine.

Just not being able to talk was not a big deal.

In fact, Feng Ning felt that it was actually quite good. She was tired with the numerous battles with the other women even though she was only 6 years old. Now that she couldn’t speak, they wouldn’t be able to fight against her.

She could also use this as an excuse to stay at home.

The bad side would be that her future marriage prospect would be fairly low. After all, not many men would want to marry a mute who couldn’t even speak. How uncomfortable would it be for them to marry someone who couldn’t communicate with them?

“Miss, please drink some water.”

Xiao Yu quickly prepared a glass of water and put it not far from Feng Ning carefully. In fact, she was waiting for Feng Ning to throw a tantrum.

But the tantrum didn’t come.

Feng Ning merely sat on her bed, looking forward with a rather hollow gaze. She was actually thinking, but her gaze seemed as if it was staring ahead and losing hope.

“Miss…” Xiao Yu was worried.

“Princess Ning is awake.”

What happened after that could only be said to be a hassle. Feng Ning listened to more than 5 doctors saying that she shouldn’t give up and that things might get better in the future. Xiao Yu also repeatedly tried to cheer her up.

After eating a porridge, Feng Ning was told that the Emperor was waiting for her in the main hall.

‘The Emperor?’

Feng Ning was confused, but she followed the maidservant. Even though she didn’t know why the Emperor would look for an unremarkable princess like her who had just turned mute like this, she would not dare to disobey the Imperial Decree.

Novels often stated that the main character would dare to do anything in the palace and even challenged others.

But after living here, Feng Ning knew how much of a bulls**** those were.

Every single step she took in here clearly told her the word oppression and authority. The servants didn’t dare to make even the slightest mistake and tried their best to always maintain their best behavior.

Because even the slightest bit of mistake could cost them their lives.

It was the real atmosphere of this supposedly grand place.

“Princess Feng Ning had arrived.”

Feng Ning walked into the main hall and instantly felt that she was blinded. The entire main hall was decorated nicely and the chair where the Emperor sat was even more so. It was completely covered in gold as if they wanted to tell others just how rich they were.

The Emperor and Empress were sitting on the throne and the other Imperial Family members were sitting on the main hall, at the side.

This caused Feng Ning to be a bit nervous.

She curtsied but unable to greet.

“Your Majesty, Princess Ning couldn’t speak and the doctor didn’t recommend her to try speaking at all for at least the next few months.” An eunuch came forward to give explanation.

The Emperor looked at Feng Ning and nodded. “Feng Ning, because of the special circumstance, Princess Ya had asked for me to bestow a marriage for you. Because of some dispute, it’s decided that you could pick either Prince Lin Zi Xuan or Prince Lin Hu Xi.”

Feng Ning was dumbfounded.

This was the first time she ever knew that an Imperial Family member could speak so bluntly.

Little did she know that while she was unconscious, Lin Han Xing had already tried to negotiate a few times to the Emperor. It was to the point that the Emperor was a bit pissed off and nearly kicked him that Lin Han Xing stopped. He didn’t dare to question the Emperor any further.

Since the decision would just fall to the princess, he decided to wait.

11