37. Confrontation
688 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lin Zi Xuan felt that the morning court didn’t seem the same without Feng Ning’s appearance. Even though he was very surprised at her ideas when she first came to the morning court, he could accept it as he knew that the young woman was very smart.

However, she kept on surprising him.

Many of her ideas were new, but if they could truly be implemented, it would naturally boost the prosperity of Lin Tang Kingdom. If only Feng Ning was not born as a woman, she might have long become the top scholar in the court examination. 

“Your Majesty, Her Majesty might be tired because there are a lot of matters to be settled.” Prime Minister Yan smiled when he passed the report to Lin Zi Xuan. “This are the report of increase in the farming yield after Her Majesty introduced those tools for us.”

“The result is good.” Lin Zi Xuan nodded. He knew that Feng Ning was busy because she had to settle the matter of the inner palace too, but he didn’t expect that she would be this busy.

It was uncomfortable for him to see her looking tired.

“This subject heard that Imperial Doctor Wu paid a visit today….” Prime Minister Yan hadn’t finished speaking when he saw the Emperor stood up.

“Zhen has some matters to attend to.”

Prime Minister Yan smiled faintly. Even though the one who seemed to be in lower status was Lin Zi Xuan, it seemed as if he was also willing to be put in this situation. However, he wondered how long this delicate balance could last.

 

Imperial Doctor Wu was helping Feng Ning to settle some matters that were related to medical world. There were some medicines that were hard to deal and Feng Ning often discussed it with him.

Thanks to him, she had decent knowledge of the herbs’ usage.

Of course, she was not someone who planned on using it for some inappropriate use.

“Your Majesty, you want to pay a visit to the Summer Palace?” Imperial Doctor Wu’s tone was a bit strange.

Feng Ning nodded.

The Summer Palace was still located in the Capital City, but it was a bit further to the east and near the wall. It was much smaller compared to the main palace and the Imperial Family members rarely came there.

Imperial Doctor Wu thought for a moment. “What the reason would be?”

“I would like to relax a bit since it has been quite a tiring half a year.” Feng Ning smiled as she wrote on the paper.

“That might be quite good.”

Imperial Doctor Wu had noticed that Feng Ning looked quite tired, but he didn’t expect that she would suggest having a break on her own. It seemed that this disciple of his still knew how to take care of her body.

Feng Ning smiled.

At this time, a servant came in and kowtowed. “Your Majesty, His Majesty the Emperor had arrived.”

Imperial Doctor Wu was stunned, but he quickly stood up. On the other hand, Feng Ning merely looked at the door and watched as her husband strode in in confusion.

“Ning’er, are you alright?”

Feng Ning nodded.

Lin Zi Xuan frowned then looked at Imperial Doctor Wu.

Being stared by the Emperor, Imperial Doctor Wu felt a bit nervous, but he quickly reported as it is. “Your Majesty, Her Majesty is a bit tired. It’ll be better for her to take a break from her work.”

“If you’re tired, you don’t have to work. Leave it all to me.” Lin Zi Xuan frowned. Did he had to ask those people to work faster and better to settle most problems? That way, they didn’t need to report to her that much.

Feng Ning nodded obediently and wrote on the paper. “I want to pay a visit to the Summer Palace in a few days.”

“Alright. I heard that the Summer Palace is a good place to rest.” Lin Zi Xuan hadn’t been to the Summer Palace yet, but he had heard about it from his father before. It was a good place, good for his wife is she wanted to relax.

Lin Zi Xuan then asked a few more questions to Imperial Doctor Wu and only seemed satisfied after hearing that his wife only needed more rest. After it was all done, he left with the manservants to finish his work.

Imperial Doctor Wu smiled when he saw this. “His Majesty cares for you a lot, Your Majesty.”

Care?

Feng Ning merely smiled but didn’t answer that statement.

She spent a bit more time to talk with Imperial Doctor Wu before sending him away. She thought for a moment before deciding to have a rest for the day. And before she went to sleep, she noticed Lin Zi Xuan coming over once more.

He was checking on her once more.

“Rest well, alright?” Lin Zi Xuan said and kissed Feng Ning’s forehead.

Feng Ning blinked and nodded obediently.

 

..

The next day, Feng Ning arranged for Xiao Lu to be married away and the servants moved fast. After that, she asked the servants to prepare her because she wanted to pay a visit to Empress Dowager Qi.

After Lin Zi Xuan become the Emperor, Imperial Concubine Qi naturally become Empress Dowager Qi.

She was also the one and only Empress Dowager.

However, she was living in another palace and Feng Ning rarely see the other party. It seemed that Empress Dowager Qi was also staying quiet and enjoyed the luxury that she previously couldn’t have.

As Feng Ning entered the palace, she could see that the entire place was decorated with many expensive items. Gold, silver, and many other expensive items basically littered the entire place.

‘How luxurious.’

Feng Ning saw Empress Dowager Qi and curtsied.

“Your Majesty, you’re here.” Empress Dowager Qi smiled and beckoned for her to come closer. “It’s been a while since the last time I see you. Have you been well?”

To talk with Empress Dowager Qi, Feng Ning brought her writing tools. She wrote on the paper.

“Thank you for your concern. I’m well, Imperial Mother.”

“That’s good.” Empress Dowager Qi was keeping a smiling face as she looked at her daughter in law.

Feng Ning didn’t really like interacting while keeping up pretense. She knew very well that the person in front of her was only acting. Even though she didn’t know everything, there were still things that she knew.

“Imperial Mother, I would like to ask for some advices.”

“Advices?” Empress Dowager Qi was looking at the paper curiously. It was unexpected that the acclaimed smart Empress would come looking at her for advice.

The rumors about how Empress Xing was so smart had already spread to many places. It was to the point that many people were wondering just how capable was their quiet empress was. She didn’t speak at all, but her words that she wrote has changed many things in their lives.

They revered her.

Feng Ning smiled patiently and continued writing. “About having a child. The ministers are hoping for me to have a child faster so that he’ll be able to take over my work.”

Empress Dowager Qi’s face twisted when she saw the sentence Feng Ning wrote. Her hands were also trembling, but she looked at Feng Ning and gave a fake smile, trying to control her temper.

“That’s naturally up to fate, Your Majesty. Even I don’t know when you’ll be able to conceive a child.”

Feng Ning blinked her eyes.

Empress Dowager Qi was looking at Feng Ning, who was staring at her with innocent expression, and felt extremely angry. The expression on Feng Ning seemed very similar.

Similar to hers.

“Do you really think that Zi Xuan will pass the throne so easily? Even if you have a child, you will never be able to live.”

Feng Ning was calm. She merely looked at Empress Dowager Qi without any change in her expression. It was as if she had already known everything that Empress Dowager Qi was about to say.

Yet, her expression just provoked Empress Dowager Qi even more.

“What do you know? You’re just an idealistic princess who lived in this cage. You have never seen the real world and how much they will try to destroy you…” Empress Dowager Qi closed her eyes and looked at the Empress before her. “Once you have a child, you’ll die, Feng Ning.”

11