5. For the Guards
44 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Grell and Tom were guarding the gate during the graveyard shift. It was really the worst time to have. The hours feeling so much longer as they slowly trickled by. Nothing moved around at this time as anything reasonable has long since gone to bed. Honestly it was a punishment to get this shift and the captains knew it. Anyone forced to work this hour would stay up all night only to have a full day of drills come morning.

Tom wasn’t supposed to be here at first having managed to go the whole week without causing trouble. A truly remarkable feat given the kind of things he was known to get up to. Cocky and really self impressed with his achievement Tom made a bet. The man who originally had this shift bet that the Captain would be going home with the pretty little lass that was working the bar. Captain! The man was intimidation incarnate. All sharp eyes and disfiguring scars. No way was this sweet young thing going home with that grizzly of a man. So he took the bet.

Alas Tom really should have reframed. It would have been the first time since becoming a soldier he didn't have the graveyard shift for a week. However it seemed like a sure fire bet. Who would have thought the lass was into such men. All petite and delicate curves. Such aggressive preferences for her looks. Truly deceiving.

He sighed in disappointment. Stretching his aching back. Eyes closing in pleaser at the pop. Maybe he was getting old. A firm hit on Tom's shoulder nearly knocked him over. “What? I swear I'm not fallin' asleep.” He spat out in annoyance. Can't a man stretch in peace?

Grell just pointed into the distance eyes focused and ignoring his grumbles. “What’s that?” He whispered. Tom squinted his eyes the torch light making the surrounding darkness hard to see through. Slowly he saw an outline of a woman. Hips swaying as she wandered through the night.

“Ho, it looks like a beautiful woman.” Tom said eyes following the silhouette. Maybe the night wasn't all bad.

“Yeah? But what is a woman doing coming out of the Cursed Forest in the middle of the night? No one does that." Grell asked the figure still approaching despite his worries. “Halt! What is your business here?” He demanded. The ‘Woman’ now close enough to see properly. She tilted her head to the side the moon shining off of her beautiful white and red hair. She bore a bright smile with cute little freckles dashed across it. Almost as if they were splattered.

“Wait…” Tom whispered. “Those aren’t freckles…” Realization dawned on him. The woman was coated in blood. Dried blood! It covered her body as if complimenting her pink eyes and red hair.

Grell was shaking. “I-I said halt!” He yelled trying to sound intimidating, but the stutter at the beginning gave away his fear.

Tom grabbed his shoulder with one hand trying to steady his nerves. “Keep it together Grell it’s only a woman.” He reasoned. One woman against two trained soldiers.

“Are you sure about that Tom." Grell asked. His words a bit frantic. "I mean that woman just came out of the woods covered in what looks like dried blood. I mean she doesn’t even look human!”

“If she isn't human what would she be?” Tom shot back while lowering his spear at the woman. She had stopped a of meter away from the tip giving them and her plenty of room.

“A ghost.” Grell whispered. Face pale from fear.

“What?” Came Tom's incredulous reply. A ghost?

“A Ghost, Tom!! A Fucking Ghost!!” He shouted startling Tom.

Tom glared at Grell out of the corner of his eye. Doing his best to convey his displeasure while watching the woman. “She’s not a ghost Grell.” He growled out.

“Really? And how do you know that?” He demanded. Tom could see the whites of his eyes. Grell was panicking.

Tom needed to do something or he would be no help if the woman pushed forward. “She was stopped by the spears you fool! What ghost would be afraid of spears?” The girl gave no sign of moving from her spot despite the hostility shown towards her.

“I don’t know?!" Grell whined. "One pretending to be human!?” Tom could feel his eye twitching. What kind of nonsense has he been listening to?

“That’s just stupid.” Tom began fully intending to verbally thrash some sense into the man. However the woman opened her mouth. Her soft melodic voice calling out as she waved. Tom froze a soft smile making its way onto his face. Unknowingly he took a step forward enchanted by her voice.

“Stop, you vile ghost!” Grell yelled while lunging forward. His spear filled with the intention of impaling the poor beauty.

Tom turned head out stretched to grab the ruddy thing. Only for everything to go dark.

2