6. That Could Have Gone Better
35 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mor stood still as the spear from one of the guards plunged towards her. Making no move to halt its progression. There was no need to make any plans. She watched as a shadow jump down from the top of the ramparts. Quickly descended with a spectacular display of aim landing directly on top of the guards knocking them both unconscious. Mor grimaced as a plum of dirt filled the air. Having been sent into disarray by the falling projectile.

As the dust cloud dispersed she saw three unmoving figures piled on top of each other. A whiff of blood filling the air. Rest in peace. May the Coventina guide your way to the afterlife. Bowing slightly in respect, Mor turned around looking at the road that split off into three different directions. She has officially given up on getting into the town. While she could just walk in now that the guards are out of the way, there would be questions. Come morning Humans would find these bodies at the gate. Someone would come looking for anything out of place. Which Mor certainly was. Even though she wouldn't have been the cause of these beings death she would be blamed.

With a sigh she resigned herself to more walking. At least she had a road now. Snatching up a stone she put the road leading from the forest behind her. Closing her eyes she tossed the stone up into the air and waited for it to land. May the rock be the decider in her destined route. She smirked at her thoughts eyes tracking the stone. When Mor had time she loved wandering new places. Observing the things to be found there. It was just the forest and her unexpected entrance into it that soured her current experience.

Her ‘pathfinder’ landed on the road to the right. The trail winding around before heading back into the forest. Mor stared silently at the road before turning to the left most path. Face set in a blank mask. She set her foot down on the path ignoring the stone. A wonderful field of flowers and open plains ahead. It was better to go with her gut feeling anyway.

However before she got to far a scraping noise sounded from behind. She turned curiously to watch the figure of a young girl slowly rise up into the sitting position. “ሆ: እኔ እኔ ተነስቶ ማመን አንችልም.” She grumbled looked around as if disoriented. Her steal grey eyes locked onto Mor as a large smile spread across her face. A shiver ran down Mor's spine and she took a step back instinctively not liking where this was headed.

Noticing her movement the Human popped up like a spring. Her smile even larger than before. “በዚያ ሄይ. ወደ ከተማ መግባት እየሞከርክ ነው? እኔ ጠባቂው ወደ ውጭ ባንኳኳ አዝናለሁ. ስሜ ነው.” She prattled while walking closer. A constant stream of sound flowing from her mouth. “እናንተ እሺ ነህ?” She looked concerned when Mor didn't answer, but her smile never wavered like her face was stuck.

Mor studied her as she came closer. A sword that was as big as she is lay strapped to her back, and swayed when she walked. The Human was wearing a pair of plain brown boots matching her pants that was accented with a couple of belts. Her shirt a tan cotton, hung loosely off her small frame. Steal grey eyes sparkled in stark contrast to her short dull brown tuff of hair.

Oh, hell no. Mor turned around ignoring the Human and started down the path. Hoping that the girl would just leave her alone. “ሰላም?” The girl asked jogging up beside her hand held out. “ስለተዋወቅን ደስ ብሎኛል. ስምህ ማን ነው?”

Without stopping Mor glared at the she Human. “Leave.”

The girl tilted her head and muttered “Lave?” Letters slow as if tasting them. Then she popped back into motion like a disturbing spring toy. “የእርስዎ ስም Lave ነው? ይህ እንዲህ ያለ ቆንጆ ስም ነው. የት እንደምትሄድ? እኛም ተመሳሳይ መንገድ የሚሄዱ ከሆነ አብረን መሄድ እንችላለን.” The Human's mouth ran non-stop as if she didn't need air. Why is she following her? Please just go a different way. She doesn't understand what you’re saying!

Suddenly a whistle sounded from the gate. Shouting filled the air. Guards where gathering around the remaining two bodies before pointing at them.

The girl jumped into action at the sound of the whistle. Running down the road before turning to Mor and shouting. “በስመአብ! እነሱም ተይዟል! ሩጥ!” What? The guards began running after the she Human. The scene was so comical. Never before has Mor seen something so hilarious. What was this? A TV show. She couldn't help laughing. Eyes alight as she watched the play in front of her.

However the guards turned at the noise and pointed at Mor. Armored boots hitting the ground as they ran towards her. Are you serious? The she Human came back and grabbed her arm tugging her down the road.

“ምን እያደረክ ነው? ቶሎ, መሮጥ!” The Human said as she all but dragged her. Mor's eyes grew cold. Bringing her hand down to break the Human's wrist just like she did to that maggot from earlier. The girl released her and ran. Action so natural it was surprising. Did the Human just dodged? A shout from the guards made Mor sigh. Their bodies so much closer now.

To kill or not to kill? She debated watching them run. However she was tired. Mor had been thrown into a strange place, walked through a forest for a day and half a night, killed some pompous men, and was threatened by guards. Glancing at the armed men still streaming out of the town like an army of pissed off ants she sighed more. It would be easier to just run. Dodging a spear that had been thrust at her, she took off.

Very quickly catching up with the she Human. The girl glanced at me smugly. Words all but dripping out of her mouth. “የሚመጣ?” Mor may not be able to understand exactly what the Human was saying but it doesn’t take a genius to know she is being sarcastic. Pissed, Mor ran faster trying to leave annoyance in the dust. “ተብቁኝ! Lave!” The Human cried out in surprise speeding up. Mor snorted feeling smug. Take that strange Human.

3