8. A Mermaid’s Call
1.9k 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After running from that crazy girl Mor finally lost her. There is no way she would have been able to keep up with that pace. Mor stretched her sore muscles and watched the sun rise above the horizon. This marked a full 24 hours since her untimely kidnapping to this place. A full day of walking or running across dry land. Truly horrid.

Looking around Mor noticed that she has left the plains and instead ended up in a lightly forested area. A terrain she was greatly coming to hate. Mor was coated in dirt, sweat, and blood from her long trek and accidental killing spree. With a frown she made her way off the dirt path. She located an animal trail and followed along. Making sure the trail linked up with more. As long as she kept following the path it should lead to water. After ten minutes Mor found it. A beautiful pristine river. Just deep enough to take a bath.

She smiled and stepped into the slow moving water. Her feet sunk slightly into the soft mud along the edge of the river. It was cool making it a welcome change from the heat that has persisted through the night. Sliding in so that she was completely submerged Mor decided that this was a good place to rest.

Mor floated on her back looking up at the canopy. Her sore muscles relaxing as she drifted. Birds flitted in and out of the leaves singing in greeting as the sun crested the horizon. Mor felt the urge to join in. Let her voice mix in with the nature around her. She missed her ocean. The tugging currents and playful fish. Even when Mor was busy on land with a mission she would try to stay close. Feel the salt dance through the air harsh on human skin yet soft on scales. Giving in to the impulse Mor sang.

 

 

As the water flows
And the wind blows
Waves crash
And fish splash

Deep below
The seas glow
Waters rush
But fish hush

We lay in wait
As bait
Our voices soft
Heads held loft

All who hear us fear
All who fear us swear
All who catch us love
All who see us dove

To the sea below
To the depths so slow
With nothing to show
They cease to grow

Once again we wait
As bait
Our voices soft
Heads held loft …

 

 

Rustling broke the trance Mor had fallen into as she sang. Her head turned expecting to see a small animal looking for a morning drink. Instead she saw a girl. A girl with fluffy brown hair and sparkling grey eyes. The very girl she had been trying to out run. How the hell is she here? There is no way she could have caught up to Mor that quickly. At least no humanly possible way that Mor knew of.

She stood up watching the girl carefully. Water splashing around causing the birds to go silent. Something about the human made Mor uneasy. Its eyes glittered in joy as she looked at Mor. “ቆንጆ.” The human said as if in a daze taking a step closer to Mor. Uneasy Mor narrowed her eyes in warning. Only able to communicate her dislike of the situation through body language.

Suddenly, as if snapping out of a trance, the human clapped with joy. “Lave, አንድ ግሩም መዝሙር ነበር. ይህ ምን ማለት ነው?” It questioned. At least Mor thinks it is a question if the lit at the end was used the same as it is in English.

“Why are you here?” Mor growled out darkly knowing that the human didn’t understand her, but hoping the unwelcome tone would get her point across. The girl paused tilting her head to the side cutely as if trying to decipher the words.

አንተ አታርክሰው መናገር አይደለም, Lave?” The human asked hope coating her words. What was the girl hoping for? “እናንተ ማድረግ!” Pure joy filled the girls face making Mor's eyelid twitch. Deciding that it was best to just ignore the human Mor made her way out of the water and back to the road. Perhaps if she ignored it long enough the human would leave.

The girl skipped happily behind Mor. Mouth moving a mile a minute. “እኔ እንደገና አገኘ በጣም ደስተኛ ነኝ. እኔ ለመሮጥ በምን ያህል ፍጥነት ማመን አትችልም! በእርግጥ እኔ እንደገና ማየት ፈጽሞ ሐሳብ ሙሾ ነበር.” The child droned on and on as they walked. Never seeming to run out of things to say. Then it gasped hands waving in excitement. “እርስዎ, እንደገና እኔን ትተው አይኖርም, Lave.” The creatures words faster and even more annoying then before. Pissed Mor threw one off her knives at the human aiming to scratch its cheek. However just as the blade would have made contact the girl tilted its head letting the knife slam into the tree trunk behind it without injury.

Mor's lips twitched. The human had dodged it. It had dodged a knife thrown without warning and didn't even flinch. “እንዲህ ያለ አደገኛ ነገሮች መጣል አይገባም.” The girl said as if lecturing and pulling Mor's knife from the tree. Looking it over the human gasped. Eyes wide in aw. “ምንድን ነው? በውስጡ በጣም ቆንጆ. እኔ እነዚህን የመሳሰሉት ቅርጾች አይቼ አላውቅም ነበር.” The human turned the knife over and traced the designs carved along the bone. The carvings in the knife were used to enhance Mor's magic. The carvings small and almost hidden on the bone blade.

On the hilt is purple sea glass. Embedded into the bone and peaking out of the leather used to soften the grip. The color of the sea glass helped to call on a particular kind of magic. Purple represents shadow and often used when making stealth weapons. Mor happens to carry seven bone knives hidden along her body. Each blade is embedded with a different colored sea glass. Allowing her to easily access the magic associated with the blade. Not that she wouldn't be able to use magic without the knives.

From a young age mermaids are taught how to make weapons. The skill important for survival and a right of passage. The weapon is considered an extension of yourself. It has to be made alone without help. The magic calling for different materials as the tool is made. Alas this tradition was also lost with time. The older mermaids refusing to teach their children the art after the wars. Not that it was much of a surprise the cowards. Mor thought with a sneer. Her feet crunching across a stick as she made her way back to the dirt road.

The human looked up from scrutinizing the knife. “Lave! ይህን ቢላዋ እንመልከት.” The creature called running up to walk next to Mor. Once in step the girl went back to examining the knife.

2