CH 8 : Sneak Attack
42 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Fang woke up from his nap when the shaking and sound of vehicle stopped. His HP is fully restored. He looked ahead through the window - the place infront of him was not much different than other places he passed.

"Lily, we reached the destination ?"

"Yes, we are a mile away from the outskirt of an ancient battlefield. So much lives lost there, so much blood spilt and bones buried that the very ground now emits necromantic energy raising dead spontaneously. It's very good place grind bones."

"Hmm" Fang's stomach churned hearing it.

"Lets go. The skeletons at the outskirt are weak, you shouldn't have much problem dealing with skeleton one by one."

Fang opened the door of the vehicle - a clear unease can be found in his every movement.

"Don't tell me you are already suffering just hearing about boney things" Lily continued to tease.

"I guess my trait fear the very word bone"

"Oh really, how about boner ?"

"What ?"

"Boner ? You know, your little brother ?"

"How do you know such term ?"

"You know we are connected via soul. I can understand your thoughts"

Fang blushed, he really thought about the word "Boner" just now.

"Lily, you are not allowed to do this. It's.. it's intruding my privacy"

"I'm lonely for long time, can't help, he he"

Fang felt the dread washed away with this small light talk. "Thanks, Lily"

"It was fun teasing you. I'm entering the soul space. I'll help if necessary, but you shouldn't be dependent on me. And remember, I become strong if you get strong," she vanished from his view. Fang could feel a presence in the soul space - he concentrated and to his surprise, he also appeared in the soul space. "This ?"

"Whoa ! You are a talent, Fang. You instinctively learned how to project your soul avatar here."

"Ah, so I can visit you here, that's nice. What about my body ?"

"Your body is like a statue now, you are vulnerable. Shouldn't do this if not in safe place."

"I understand. Hmm, Lily, how do I go back ?"

"Just concentrate about going back to war machine and opening the door, he he" Lily poked his cheek with her trunk.

Fang followed the instruction and he was back, he could see the open door of the vehicle.

"You can hear me, Lily ? " He tried to contact via soul connection.

"Yeah, and I can see and perceive outside, don't worry."

"OK then, I'm going to hunt"

Fang closed the door and started walking ahead. He started thinking about his gears.

I have a magical wand and Javelin with me. I don't know how to use mana or spell, wand is useless. But the spear is special, and this spear cost me a destiny point. It should be handy in this place. Fang thought to himself. He retrieved his one dagger and the Javelin and equipped in two hand.

Fang was walking slowly, using every cover possible to avoid any accidental encounter. Moreover, the difficult terrain of Avernus halved the speed. After half an hour of walking, he could hear distant sound of battle.

He got curious. He activated stealth and advanced to the direction from where the sound could be found.

Soon he could see them. A woman in white robe was fighting with sword against two skeleton and a human male wearing similar robe. There were three bloodied dead bodies nearby. He tried to check the stats - he couldn't get any info, not the humans, not the skeletons.

"Stop fighting, young mistress ! You can't win against me and my minions. Just accept your fate." The man thrushted his sword to the leg of the woman. Two skeletons were equipped with axe made of bone. They slashed aiming the chest . 

"You traitor ! My father trusted you so much ..." she leaped back avoiding all the attacks. She looked tired, her beautiful face was red in anger and something more she was trying to suppress.

Fang advancer further stealthily and hid behind a large boulder. The other parties were within 120 feet now.

"Yeah, I'm very grateful for that. So much that I want to be next clan leader and serve the clan he is taking care all these years" he said with a chuckle. "But he wants to pass the position to you, his only heir. Now if I become the son-in-law, and you become muddlehead , the position will naturally come to me, right? Let alone the benefit of taking your virgin Yin. I'll get the individual strength, the leadership of top 10 clan and a " he advanced , so did the skeletons. They were trying to encircle the girl.

"What should I do ? My strength is too negligible to interfere ! Such a thing happening infront of my eyes" Fang thought. "Lily, can you help ?"

"No Fang, they are much stronger than current me. Any attempt from us is like throwing egg to break this boulder"

"You ! I'll never allow it !!!" Suddenly a dazzling azure light emanated from the woman.

"You crazy woman ! You are burning your blood essence ?" The man panicked. He took a defensive stance and started activating a defense skill, the two skeletons leaped back infront of the man to shield him from whatever the skill being casted by the woman.

"The man is clearly afraid of the woman's strike. If I could disrupt the man from activating the defensive skill, it will be a killing blow" Fang thought. He hurled the Javelin of Lightning to the man uttered "Fury of Talos , descend !" and sneak attacked. The javelin in his hand transformed into bolt of lightning , extending from his hand to the man forming a 5 feet wide line.

At that time , the woman had fully activated her skill - she slashed with her sword vertically. An illusionary crescent shaped azure great sword appeared and it descended on the two skeleton.

The man had used a skill that created a golden shield in front of him. By the time the azure great sword would reach him, he was confident that the skill would be fully activated solidifying the golden shield. Right that moment, the lightning bolt extended from Fang's hand transformed to javelin and pierced the man from back.

- 14 (lightning damage)

- 5 (sneak attack)

The man's skill got interrupted - the shield of golden light he was creating crumbled. And the illusionray great sword descended on him disintegrating the two skeletons before him. Then the greatsword vanished - the man was split into half, clearly dead.

Fang looked at the woman - she looked pale like white paper. She was struggling to keep standing , her sword fell from the hands and she dropped unconscious on the ground.

You killed a level - 5 Awakened with the help of another. Earned 100 XP.

Successful Sneak Attack - proficiency increased to 20% .

The javelin returned to his hand after heating. He than stood up and started walking to the battlefield - it was time for the loot.

He reached the man who was evenly split into two. Strangely there was no blood , as if something drained the blood and vaporized. "What a powerful magical strike"

He found two rings and a small bag from the man. He used his investigation skill 

Ring of Weapon Storing

Spoiler

Ring of Weapon Storing

Ring, Uncommon

Can store upto 100 lbs of weapons.

Stored weapons can be recovered immediately in empty hand

[collapse]

Ring of Spell Storing

Spoiler

Ring of Spell Storing 

Ring, Rare (requires attunement)

Stores spell cast into it, holding them until the attuned user uses them.

Can store upto 5 level worth of spells.

[collapse]

Bag of holding

Adventuring Gear (Wondrous Item)

Rarity : Uncommon

The bag has an interior space of 64 cubic feet. And can hold up upto 500 lb.

Can contain living creature for short time. Duration: 1 minute to maximum (10 / no of creatures) minute, then the creature will suffocate.

If the bag is ruptured or destroyed, the contents will be lost, scattered in Astral Plane.

Weight : 15 lbs, regardless of its content

]

He put on the rings and the bag without thinking much and decided to inspect later. Then he walked to the unconscious woman.

"Lily, can you heal her ?"

"I can try, but how much it will be effective that I don't know. You heard from the man, she used a skill that burns blood essence"

"Well, lets take her to the vehicle, I'll kill skeletons another day, too many things happened today already"

Then fang picked up the woman on his right shoulder and started walking to the vehicle. He could feel the bossom of the woman pressing on her back. "Should I princess carry ? Nah, It would be more uncomfortable for me. I don't think I'll be able to look at road if I do that" 

"I can hear your thought, Fang "

"Lily, I told you to not do that"

"Boner"

"Damn. Why I can't read you ?"

"Because you are weak"

"Just wait !"

"Huh, how long ? Boner"

Fang tried to slap the butt of Lily who was floating beside him. Lily dodged it easily . "What ? You were thinking dirty about an unconscious woman ?"

"Who said ? I was thinking . about you. You are very cute. Can you take humanoid form, Lily ?"

"Degenerate"

"You are the companion of degenerate"

They reached the vehicle soon. Fang threw out the boney passengers , "You got long distance lift, now go on foot"

Then he put down the woman carefully on a sit. Lily got ready to cast cure wound and heal spell.

Fang took a sit and decided to check the storage rings and the bag of holding.

2