Chapter 2 – I don’t forget
465 9 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

***(?????’s POV)***

Silence fell with that statement. It was not the silence resulting from the end of an argument, but that which forms before the beginning of a storm. I managed to stay calm, but my blood was boiling again

«What do you mean by that?»

«Exactly what I said.» she stated calmly and lucidly «Once their earthly life ends, souls arrive in the Avernus where they are purified before being reborn.»

«Purified?»

«Well, every living being is destined to be reincarnated when it dies. Memories of it are erased and possible psychological wounds are removed. To be clear, it is as if a pencil drawing, once completed, is erased. That said, without our uncle's permission, no one can interfere with the reincarnation process of mortal souls.»

This explanation was more than enough. If what has just been revealed to me is true, then I would have nothing to fear for the people dear to me. Of course, if this is true

«With what guarantee can you say that the souls taken hostage by your sister are illusions?»

«The divine realm revolves around very strict rules. Especially when it comes to the reincarnation process of mortals.» she explained, cupping her cheek «But answering your question, then no. I can't prove to you that they are illusions.»

«I appreciate the sincerity.» I stated, exhaling

Her honest answer only fueled my anger toward the whore of a sister.

I have never believed in destiny, in the future already written by who knows what supernatural entity. I have always believed that we are the ones who build it. Now my "destiny" is being manipulated even before I can be reborn. All fuel poured on the flames of my resentment

«And now? What do you want from a slave? How do you think you can help me?» I asked, trying to contain my anger

The Goddess made a slightly surprised expression and then a tired and compliant smile, as if she hadn't expected those questions. Maybe she didn't expect it, but it was clear that she delayed my reincarnation for some reason. I don't think anyone would do it just to have a chat.

«Since my sister has already obtained permission from our uncle, and you have already been transferred to the Eabes reincarnation circle, I have no chance to interfere. However, before you fall into a deep sleep, I think it's only fair that you be compensated for the oppression imposed by my stupid sister.»

«This is the first time I've heard you call her stupid.»

«But she is. After all, she has always thought only of herself without taking into account the consequences.» she stated, sighing again «I mean, many events of that world were avoided only thanks to my intervention, even after her installation as Guardian Goddess of Eabes. Now I'm at my limit, but I can't ignore your condition.»

«I repeat: how do you think you can help me?»

***(Goddess’s POV)***

This mortal made me feel sorry for him when I discovered how his soul had been taken from my sister with our uncle's permission. I thought he would be like other mortals. No, like other men: as soon as they see my sister, they are willing to accept her every request, driven by lust and the desire to lie with the beautiful divinity in front of them. But he... surprised me.

My sister's charm didn't work on him he rebelled against her request. Forced to accept to save the illusions of his affections. I don’t know if she had noticed, but something had ignited inside him: a fire of dark flames warm and at the same time cold, but equally frightening, able to scare and distort the same darkness before reincarnation.

The curse that prevented him from failing in his mission was distorted by that fire, and his will broke the chains imposed. Observing him, that fire was lit by resentment, anger, and fury, but fueled by the injustice suffered towards himself and those illusions.

He is now in front of me. I could see his past and the person he is: an incredibly rare specimen even among mortals. He is humble, loyal, with a strong sense of duty and honor, wise, calm, and composed, capable of making rational and logical decisions. But these qualities do not make him unique, his resentment is certainly what defines him the most: once one becomes a target, there will never be a way to obtain his forgiveness without adequate compensation.

«I repeat: how do you think you can help me?» he asked concentrated

In that question, I could read his thoughts: nothing is for free, everything has its price.

«I can free you from my sister's curse.»

«What do you want in return?»

Here's the question I was expecting. Let's see what he decides to do.

«As I told you before, I'm at my limit. The prayers of my faithful are not enough to recover my powers quickly. As a result, I am forced to fall asleep to recover my powers more quickly.» I stated, staring into his eyes «In exchange for your release, I want you to take my place.»

His eyes widened. How he might not be surprised. I am offering him the power and role of a deity. It is the first thing every mortal aspires to power. Even those uninterested in power deep down desire it.

«You want to give me the powers of a deity just to clean up your sister's shit?»

«Not very elegant, but yes.»

«And then? Do you also want a coffee? Maybe some chamomile tea since you're going to sleep?» he asked sarcastically

«Huh?»

«Hey! How dare you address her like that?!» someone very dear to me spoke

At my side appeared a doll-sized winged woman dressed in a white full-skirted dress with gold embroidery and hair accessories similar to mine. Her long hair is dark blue and she has very expressive amethyst eyes.

«And where do you come from?» the mortal asked, taken aback

«A mortal like you cannot-»

«Calm down Nike.» I stated confidently and then turned back to the man «Can you explain that sarcastic question?»

«That's my way of saying you're talking nonsense.» he stated annoyed «I'm not power-hungry. But even so, the human soul is not incorruptible. This also applies to me: what I know I am today I may not be tomorrow. But above all, I have no intention of correcting the mistakes of an idiot.»

A laugh escaped my lips. I was laughing at how I could think that he would accept my proposal. As I laughed in amusement, I noticed how Nike looked at me in surprise while the mortal in front of me had a disinterested expression.

«I like you mortal. You are aware of your limits and you don't hold back when it comes to telling things like they are.» I stated happily

«Now, seriously, what do you want in exchange for freedom?»

Taking breaths and wiping the tears from my eyes, I composed myself and looked into his eyes.

«Live your second life as you see fit. Watch over the state of the world and intervene when you feel it is necessary.»

The mortal looked at me surprised and wary. He couldn't fully understand the condition I gave him to free him from my sister's curse. I can't ask for more from him I thought. My sister's recklessness has created something terrifying…

«My lady, what-»

Before she could ask me the question, I placed my finger on Nike's lips and shook my head negatively

«What are you hiding from me?»

«I'm not hiding anything from you, on the contrary, these are things you will discover when the time comes.» I stated softly «I don't have much time now, so I would like to give you some gifts before we part ways.»

«Gifts?»

«You can consider them a reimbursement for the attitude demonstrated by my sister. Is there anything you want?»

He cupped his chin and began to think. It wasn't long before he spoke

«I wish to have practical and theoretical knowledge of every art and science of my original world, to know common sense and the languages spoken by the civilized populations of Eabes»

I was surprised. I could grant him some... what do mortals call them? Cheats...? Yes, I could gift him with some rather- no, very powerful cheats, and yet

«...Just this? Are you sure? I can grant you much more if you only wish it.»

«It will be enough. But first, I have a question: How do you think I can accomplish what you asked if my life expectancy is a century at most?»

«I have already considered the question and I already have the answer. I'm sure it will surprise you.»

I noticed a tremor in the space we were in. No more time, huh? I approached him and after holding his face, I kissed him on the forehead. His body lit up with a silver light and my sister's curse faded

«Done.» I stated, walking away «The time available to us is up. The time has come for you to reincarnate. When the time comes, call Nike.»

«Understood. We'll see again?»

«I do not know.» I stated regretfully «But I hope so.»

«By the way, there's something I didn't ask you.»

«I don't think I'll have time to-»

«Your name.» he stated, interrupting me «I don't know your name.»

I was surprised for a moment, but then I felt like giggling

«Athena.» I replied «My name is Athena.»

«Athena, huh…» he stated as his form began to slowly disappear, «the Greek Goddess of Wisdom, Arts and War.»

«Fufufu. That very Athena.» I giggled

«Athena, remember that I do not forget.» he stated with a relieved smile as he vanished «Thank you and have a good rest»

With that last sentence, he disappeared and I was left in this dark space together with my faithful subordinate Nike and my owl.

«You don't forget… huh,» I said in relief. You're going to pay off your debts to me and my sister, aren't you?

«Lady Athena, do you realize what you just did? Even though you freed him from that curse-»

«Surely you noticed that I couldn't free him completely» I stated sadly «Before I could reach him, his anger and resentment have arbitrarily changed the blessing into the curse. The result is something so powerful that even the void we find ourselves in has risked distorting under the pressure of the power created.»

«So why let him go anyway?»

«He has already had to face difficult choices in life, in death, he was denied purification and therefore... forgiveness for what he believes are his faults.» I stated, looking at the spot where the mortal was until a moment ago. «My sister wanted to place other blame on him and with what right can I decide to eliminate him?»

«Lady Athena...»

«He desires redemption and above all to repay his debt, both to me and my sister.»

«Repay you?»

«The gifts given, he does not consider them reimbursements, but favors that he intends to repay.» I stated starting to walk towards my home «He has just become the piece that could cause a chain reaction in the Eabes's history.» However, I don't know if it will be a positive or negative turning point...

«Nike.» as soon as I called her, she turned «In my absence, watch over him, give him your blessing, and make sure he doesn't get lost.»

«I will do as you request, Lady Athena.»


If you want to read the original story, click here. If you like the story and want to give your support, put a "Like" on the Facebook Page of the novel.

11