Chapter 3 – Sidrie
427 4 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rexsey was blessed with another beautiful day. The sky is blue and free of clouds allowing the hot summer sun to touch every building in the capital of Waral. But despite the typical summer heat, people do not stop working while singing praises of gratitude to the divine Aphrodite for the splendid day.

The noble district is the most luxurious, ancient, and modern among the many districts of the city. Huge villas stand in this district and the various noble families who live there are the source of pride and prestige of the entire nation. Obviously, the higher the social status, the bigger and more luxurious the noble’s residence, but since the grass of the neighbor is always greener, they tend to compete with each other for those who have the most luxurious or better-maintained villa.

But even so, the ducal residences are widely considered the oldest and most beautiful in the entire district and probably in the kingdom.

I work in one of these homes, to be precise I am in the service of Duke Ilwen Flinne. House Flinne is one of the few families that has lasted since the founding of the kingdom, holders of enormous wealth, prestige, and influence. For this reason, only the best can work and serve in this family. Indeed, all servants are descended at least from a house of knights, so no one within this mansion is not noble… except for me.

I'm Sidrie. I don't have a surname like my other colleagues but even so, it is a source of pride for me to serve in this splendid manor. To top it off, I was officially inducted as a personal maid to a member of the Flinne family. There is no greater honor.

«Get out of the way, Sidrie!»

«W-watch out!» I screamed, moving to the side and almost falling

fortunately, I managed to keep my balance and save the breakfast of the person I serve. Luckily the lid was still on the tray and nothing had fallen to the floor. Thank goodness I thought with a sigh of relief

«Damn it. Watch where you’re going!» the colleague who stopped next to me shouted

«Yes, I humbly ask your forgiveness.»

«Sigh. I don't know why Lord Flinne continues to keep a dirty dark elf like you in his household.» my colleague sighed annoyed

I perceived my colleague's gaze on my breasts. Instinctively, I covered my chest.

Clap! Clap!

«Come on, it's not time for a break yet. Tomorrow is the big day and we can't slow down.» an authoritative voice stated

The speaker was Lady Zbysa Nokto, the head maid whose authority allows her to manage the servants when the butler is not at home or in cases like these, but above all she has the privilege of being the maid of the duke's wife, Tasya Flinne. Her mere presence was enough to put everyone back in line. After all, she is famous for not skimping on punishments.

I also moved instinctively and with a bearing that one expects a maid from the Flinne house to have, I continued toward my destination

“Sidrie, are you going to bring him breakfast?” he asked, stopping me

«Yes. Lady Nokto.» I replied affirmatively, bending my head slightly.

The head maid came over and lifted the lid just enough to allow her to see what was underneath it. Her face remained hard and expressionless for that short time, then she lowered the lid.

«I'm pleased to see that nothing has spilled.» she stated in a neutral tone «Relay this message from madame: “Show yourself in the western garden”.»

“It will be done, Lady Nokto.”

After hearing my answer, Lady Noktocontinued on her way while I, after checking that my uniform was in order, continued my journey toward my destination.

“Damned dark elf.”

However far, my hearing is very sensitive.

This is another personal characteristic: my race. Inside the mansion, I am despised not primarily for my civil status, but also for the fact that I am a dark elf. Although accepted and loved by the divine Aphrodite, compared to our elven cousins, we prefer coexistence with nature and therefore are less "civilized" in the eyes of external people. Moreover, the typical ashen color of our skin is often seen as an abomination in the eyes of others, as dark skin is often associated with demons.

However, I am happy that I am treated civilly in my workplace, but what allows me to make my stay bearable is the person I serve.

Unlike the rest of the villa built with precious stones and marbles, the attic is made of wood. Relatively dusty, cleaned a few times a month to maintain a minimum of hygiene, the windows are small but enough light passes through to be able to see. Here, objects and furniture that are rarely used or that no longer have a place in the sumptuous rooms of the residence are stored. At the end of the attic, there is a heavy, browned wooden door, with a heavy and slightly rusty iron handle. I stopped in front of the door to knock

“You can come in, Sidrie.”

It's no longer a surprise anymore. Every time he permits me to enter, even before I can knock as is proper waitress etiquette. I had a bit of difficulty opening the door due to the rusty handle and as soon as I entered, I was greeted by piles of old, dusty books and parchments. The room is small and spartan, with a wardrobe and a bed whose wood is rotten in some places, and under a window, there is a simple table.

At the table, intent on reading a voluminous tome whose worn pages are about to fall off, there is a 13-year-old boy. His hair has a light gray shade, typical of the Flinne family, except for a jet-black tuft that fell on his forehead, and his eyes, black from little sleep, are a deep blue, almost like sapphires.

“How do you know when I'm about to knock, Master Renan?”

“Besides the fact that you're the only one to set foot in this place?” he asked, looking up slightly «Although it is light, your step is unmistakable. I would be able to recognize you even if we were in the crowd.»

«Oh! You are a true genius master.»

«If you say so.» he stated, closing the large book and moving it from the table

I set down the tray with his breakfast and lifted the lid.

«For breakfast, we have stale bread, water, a vegetable soup, and some slightly moldy cheese.»

“Hmm.” Master Renian murmured «I imagine that vegetable soup was originally part of your breakfast, wasn't it?» he asked, looking me in the eyes

«What are you saying?» I exclaimed «How can you think-»

“Did you know that when you lie you look away and start playing with your fingers?”

«…....» Nothing gets past him

He is an outcast within the family. At first, he was treated like any other child but when he began his education, he performed well below average. Believing him to be a failure, his parents, in particular his mother, began to ignore him, to leave him to himself, and finally moved his room to this dimly lit and dusty place. He is given the bare minimum to keep him from starving or some leftovers in exceptional cases, old discarded noble clothes, old and worn furniture while the books are always old, the ink of which has faded in various places making it difficult to read. Now and then I extend some of my portions when possible, comfortable clothes especially warm when it is winter. I try to be his big sister and therefore take care of him instead of family or servants.

“Sit with me.” he ordered, sighing

I didn't keep myself waiting. As I sat down, the chair creaked slightly. Master Renan took the glass and instead of water, poured half the soup into it. The rest he handed to me together with a spoon. That’s how he asks to eat together.

I love this boy. I'm usually detached and professional, but this guy managed to move my heart. Don't get me wrong, I'm not romantically speaking in love with him, but the way he is unfairly treated and how he has always treated me with respect and consideration, makes me question whether Flinne's blood flows in him. I am not a mother and I will never be able to replace her, but I try every time to give him a little of that family warmth of which he is continually deprived.

The soup was shaggy, watered down, and barely warm, but I still thought it tasted better than when I ate it in the servants' dining hall. It's probably for the company.

“By the way Sidrie, what's going on downstairs?” he asked looking towards the floor «The servants have been making a fuss since this morning.»

«What, what’s going on?» I asked in surprise «Tomorrow is a big day. It's your birthday and you will officially become an adult.»

“Haa, that's true.” he stated indifferently «Tomorrow is my sister Malotta's birthday.»

“Why do you say it as if it doesn't concern you?”

“When was the last time they had a birthday party for me and my twin sister?” he asked with eyes full of sarcasm «Like every year, she is celebrated while I will be asked- no, I will be ordered to pretend to be ill. I think you will have to take me to that little suburban church you talk about so much to receive the "blessing of divine Aphrodite"»

This sarcastic statement of his ended with a tone of hatred. I don't know the reason, but every time I mention the divine, the air around him becomes dark and scary even though his expression doesn't change.

Other than that, his statement is true. Living locked up here, he often doesn't notice the passage of time, and on his birthday he spends it in here celebrating it with me. It's not a real party like the one held for his brilliant twin sister Malotta Flinne, but it's the only day I manage to make him a cake by buying the ingredients from my pocket. Not being a good cook, the cake sometimes turned out to be salty, burnt, or hard, but Master Renian never complained. He ate it with sincere gratitude.

«By the way, Master Renian.» I called him «Didn't you sleep well last night either?»

He didn't answer, but that moment of hesitation before putting a piece of cheese in his mouth was enough of an answer. Since he was 6 years old, he has suffered from insomnia and can only sleep a few hours a night, forcing him to take naps during the day whenever he could.

«If you want, I can stay -»

“So that you get kicked out?” he asked, interrupting me «You know very well that certain lines cannot be crossed. My situation is very precarious and given your background, they wouldn't hesitate to kick you out.»

«Forgive me, Master Renian.» I stated, bowing my head

«You have nothing to make up for. I know how much you care about me.»

He began to gently caress my head. Every time this gesture of his takes me by surprise, but it is his most direct way of expressing his appreciation and affection for what I do. I smiled at his gesture. Instinctively I hugged him and began to rub my cheek against his

«I love you, master!»

«Oof!» he exhaled «I know, but get off me. I can hardly breathe!»

«Oh! Forgive me.»

“Speaking of something else,” he said, picking up his cutlery again. “Is there anything I should know?”

«Oh, right! Madame wants you in the western garden.»

«My mother?» he looked up surprised but above all wary «If it is the western garden, then we may have guests. And if she asked for my presence, it can only be her.» he finished with a sigh.


If you want to read the original story, click here. If you like the story and want to give your support, put a "Like" on the Facebook Page of the novel.

10