Chapter 7: Story of the Past
22 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As we go further inside the forest, finally, we manage to reach the place where I killed the frog, but unfortunately, all the crickets were already gone.

"Grey, is this the frog you killed?"

"Yeah, but... I'm sure the crickets were still on its tongue."

"Maybe some animals or insects took the crickets."

"No. If they saw the frog, that someone would take the frog instead of the crickets."

"What if they're just like us, small?"

"Then, never mind it. Let's just kill some bunch of crickets and gift it to the female frog."

"Okay. And I also know some places where crickets can be found."

"Then that's good."

The two of us journey once again until we reach a place full of canopy trees, and above it were hundreds of crickets that produce such deafening chirp that makes my body tremble.

"Shine, is it alright for us to hunt in this kind of environment? I would go deaf any moment."

"Grey, don't be so weak. Your level is above 1 so naturally, you'll be able to adapt to that sound. And besides, there's a ton of crickets, so wouldn't it go to waste if we just give up this place?"

"Well, if you say so."

The two of us then start to climb a canopy tree after I'm able to adapt the soundwave and catch some crickets using our silk.

"Congratulations to the host for being able to kill an ordinary cricket. Able to obtain a part of crickets that can be mimicked: Head. Host level increased by 0.3"

A cold voice repeats after so many times that almost makes me dizzy, but in the end, I still manage to collect enough crickets.

Hunting crickets were difficult since they have the advantage in the air, and if not for my level, I'll not be able to obtain a cricket.

As the system quietened down, I was confused as I still wait for the memories of the crickets I killed to come into my head, but even after so long, no memories still be found.

'System, why can't I able to obtain memories from the crickets I killed?'

'The host is already strong enough to communicate with any type of life form and does not need a bloodline anymore.'

'What? So, in the previous state, I experience their memories so that I can communicate with the same life form I killed?'

'The host is right.'

'Strong enough? System, can you tell me my stats?'

'Name: Grey Dy

Level: 3

Able to mimic: Mosquito (can't use anymore) Time limit: Permanent, Spider (currently used) Time Limit: Permanent, Cricket's head (produce high-pitched sound) Time limit: 1 day, Crickets Body (able to fly faster than sound) Time limit: 1 day, Cricket's Legs (able to walk) Time limit: 1 day. The host can use Merge to get a complete version of crickets.'

'What? Level 3? Ah.. I see. I catch many crickets, so instead of parts, it's converted into points?'

'The host is right. But as the same type of life form is defeated, the points will lessen until 0.1'

'Oh, I get it.'

"Grey, are you alright?"

"Yeah, you don't need to worry."

"Well, since we already accumulate enough crickets, then it should be already fine, right?"

"Yeah, but I'm not sure if we can able to bring such a bunch of crickets."

"Grey, you're still the same as before. Hahaha."

"What are you laughing? And what's with your tone? Did we meet in our past life?"

"Wh--what? It's.. you just misheard me. I.. I said.. you remind me of someone."

"Oh, so that's why. But why are you laughing?"

"Well, it's because you didn't use your brain."

"That's kinda hurt, you know?"

"Sorry, sorry. I didn't mean it that way."

"Well, it's also just a joke. Don't take it seriously."

"I'm sure your level has increased, right?"

"Yeah. It went to level 3."

"Oh, so we now have the same level. If you have level 3, then you can be able to lift them easily. Level 3 is equivalent to the strength of a chicken or something."

"Really?"

"Yeah, you didn't know?"

"Yes. How did you know that? And what level do human equals to?"

"I asked the system in exchange for points. And humans level is equivalent to level 8."

"Only level 8?"

"Yes. Level 9 is equal to a demon and level 10 is a dragon."

"Does this world have demons and dragons?"

"No. This world is much pretty like our world, except for our existence. And if I'm right, I guess the system is the god of this world."

"What? Really? So that's why it's so scary every time I insult it."

'The system suggests that the host abandoned this subject or else penalty will be delivered.'

"Tsk.. stingy. Grey, let's just go to the female frog and deliver this already. I still have a place I want to show you."

"Really? Then, let's go."

The two of us, with the system giving the exact location of the female frog, start our new journey.

The both of us spend a night just to reach the pond where the frog's clan is located and are finally able to rest for a while.

"Ah! I'm so tired!"

"Yeah. I didn't expect that we can still achieve this feat. I almost think I would die from exhaustion."

"Well, Grey, I think our exhaustion was worth it. This pond is so beautiful!"

"Yeah. And the air is also refreshing. The water is also clear, and has a unique taste."

"Ah.. this really feels good. After walking for the whole night, resting like this is the best. If we were just in our human form, then it would be better. We would fish some fish and grilled it while we continue to watch this scene until the sun sets."

"Yeah, that's some nice idea. Anyway, if it's alright for you, can I ask, how did you die from our world?"

"How about you?"

"Well, I die due to misfortune. I got involved in a car accident. Maybe that was a punishment given by God to me due to my unlimited sins."

"You... why so negative? It's not that you really want to do it though, so I think it's not your fault at all. You're just forced to do it, so don't downgrade yourself."

Almost for a moment, I thought my heart stopped, as I saw, or was it just me hallucinating, that I can sense the fear and sadness that illuminated in Shine's orange eyes but quickly get back to normal.

'How did she know that? Did I perhaps say anything like that to her? Why does she seem to know me very well?'

"Well, how about you? How did you die?"

"Me? I... I-- was driving with the brother of the person I like.. and got.. distracted.. and also got in a car accident."

"What? Really? So you're more unfortunate than me?"

"It's you who is unfortunate, though."

"What? Did you say something?"

"No.. I said I was indeed unfortunate. Maybe it was also a punishment for me."

"Why?"

"Bec--ause... al--though.. I love that person... just beca--use I thought my life-- would get worse.. I pick the other one.. whom I'm sure can lift me.. and give me a better life. Hahaha.. that's so greedy and selfish of me, right? I exchange my 5 years relationship with the first person I truly love for the relationship which is just about money."

"What so wrong about that? I'm sure you.. you just don't have a choice of your own."

"Just like me, I kill people just to get food to feed my family."

"And also.. you remind me of someone. You are exactly the same as the person I loved in the past, and I respect your decision because I respect her decision as well."

"I understand her because she did the right choice. If she choose me, she wouldn't get the perfect life she has right now, so maybe the person you're talking about would understand you as well."

I tried to console Shine, but instead of that, tears form in her clear orange eyes, and sadness overwhelm her.

"You.. I'm.. sorry! I'm sorry!"

"Why? Did you do something wrong?"

"No.. I'm.. so sorry. I hope.. you forgive me someday."

"Shine, what are you talking about?"

"No, it's nothing. Maybe I'm just too lonely lately and you remind me of him."

"So, that's why. Anyways, let's just forget about this, and deliver these crickets. I already saw the female frog, so let's go."

Then after that drama, the two of us continue our journey and went to the pond.

1