Ch. 5 – Sun Lotus City
325 3 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ding Shuren was sitting at his desk, reading one of the many reports piled onto his desk. He was thinking about the upcoming harvesting season for the main resource his city was responsible for: Sun lotus plantations. Sun lotuses contained wood and light path dao marks, they were commonly used as light sources when planted properly or as Gu refinement materials by Gu masters. The plant could even evolve into rank one Sun Lotus gu or more rarely rank two Brilliance Lotus Gu. These Gu were portable light sources without much else to offer. It was the main commodity Sun Lotus city exported.

Ding Shuren looked out his window. He saw the fields of sun lotuses shining faintly on the horizon. They were not far from blooming and being ripe for harvest. He felt satisfied with the progress he achieved governing this city.

"Compared to the previous years' mediocre yield, this year will be a turning point in Sun Lotus City's development."

Ding Shuren thought to himself as he was caressing his long beard. He was already old by mortal standards. His eyes were reflecting his wisdom, his wrinkled and callous hands evidenced his hard work.

The old days flew before his eyes now when he was only a young boy picking Sun Lotuses in the field. It was his work that took him up the rankings. He had to work tirelessly for every resource he used on his cultivation as he didn't have outstanding talent or powerful backing.

Because of this, he had an appreciation for those who weren't gifted but were not willing to give up. But now old age has caught up to him, it was a bottomless chasm he could not cross no matter how hard he worked!

"My only hope now is to have an exceptional evaluation. I'm at the mercy of the immortals' benevolence. I can't let them discard me, I need to show my worth!"

Just as he was drifting in his thoughts, a will has descended in his office:

"Greetings, city lord Ding Shuren!"

"Oh! Greetings, lord immortal!"

Ding Shuren was startled by the unexpected guest, but he quickly got his act together.

"I did not expect a visit, please excuse my rude reception. I will immediately arrange a banquet."

Said Ding Shuren as he bowed towards Bao Xu Lian's lifelike will.

"That will not be necessary, I am only here to pass on the orders from Lord Supreme Elder."

Bao Xu Lian smiled as he said. He was currently the youngest immortal of Bao clan, he was even a few years younger than Ding Shuren. This was the difference that background and talent meant! He enjoyed the flattery from his 'senior', he also liked to flaunt the authority of his blood relation to Bao Lang Chao. But now he also felt pity for the old man before him, he told him in an encouraging tone:

"The high order is to nurture immortal seeds for the clan, your part is finding and nurturing the talented ones. Based on your performance, you might have a chance yourself."

As Bao Xu Lian said this he passed two gu worms to Ding Shuren. One was an information path gu worm the other a storage type gu worm with cultivation resources inside.

"You can find the details here."

"Thank you Lord Immortal! I will not disappoint!"

Bao Xu Lian was about to take his leave when he turned back:

"How much resources you take will also affect your evaluation, remember the clan values results over excuses."

He gave this hint to the old city lord to show his goodwill. Ding Shuren was already an experienced rank five Gu master. If he were to eventually succeed in ascending to an immortal it would be Bao Xu Lian's merit.

"I will treasure Lord's words, thank you."

Said Ding Shuren respectfully as he bowed, when he raised his head again Bao Xu Lian was already gone.

* * * * *

Bao Zhi and Jin Ju were traveling together for two days now. They pulled the cart in turns, it was currently Bao Zhi's turn while Jin Ju was resting inside the cart.

After a sharp turn in the road they came to a sudden halt. Jin Ju poked his head out:

"Why did we stop now?"

He asked curiously. But his answer was right in front of them now. A huge tiger was blocking their way, about twenty steps ahead of them. Bao Zhi was holding the two handles, he slowly lowered the cart on its front two legs.

"Whatever happens, do not leave the cart!"

He commanded.

The tiger noticed them at the same time as they appeared, it was just crossing the road beforehand. But now it saw that food came knocking on its door, it turned its attention towards the two travelers. It assumed a stalking position, ready to jump at a moment's notice. It put paw behind paw as it slowly approached them.

Jin Ju got spooked, he immediately pulled back his head inside, only daring to peek through the gaps of the cart.

Bao Zhi thought to himself:

"What luck this is... I should rather take this as an opportunity."

He stepped forward to create some distance from Jin Ju and the wares behind him. One of his hands behind his back, the other motioning towards the beast in a 'come at me' manner.

The tiger stopped to observe him carefully, it did not understand human gestures.

"Not coming then?" - Snickered Bao Zhi.

What happened next was something Jin Ju was never going to forget. Bao Zhi turned his back towards the hungry beast in front of them, calmly smiling at Jin Ju.

"Aaah, watch out!"

Screamed Jin Ju. The tiger immediately took advantage of the opportunity. It pounced towards Bao Zhi silently with ferocity glimmering in its eyes.

Bao Zhi wasn't oblivious to the sudden attack. Just as he provoked it, he welcomed it with a quick sidestep. The attack only missed by a hairs width, the tiger struck at the ground. Realizing its failure it swiped its head-sized paw with razor-sharp claws in the direction Bao Zhi dodged.

But Bao Zhi wasn't to be hit so easily, like a slippery eel he continued to evade and slip away at the last moment every time. This happened multiple times. The tiger roared in anger and frustration, its attacks increasing in speed and viciousness.

Jin Ju was watching the events from his relative safety. He was gripping onto the wooden cart as his nails left a mark in them without him even noticing it. He didn't want to interrupt Bao Zhi, he could only wail in his mind:

"Why is he not attacking? A wrong step and he could die at any moment! He's not even using any gu worms! Aah, I can't watch this!"

Meanwhile, Bao Zhi was calmly assessing his body's capabilities now:

"Not bad, my speed is already comparable to using low-grade movement gu."

A low grade in his estimation meant, anything not exceptional. Back in his old days, he was renowned for his movement methods, the most famous of them was: Immortal killer move - Earth Root Travel. It allowed him to travel anywhere underground under a breath of time as long as there were interconnected roots present in the ground. It was an exemplary method for escaping or ambushing.

But this was all in the past now, he focused back on the 'task' at hand before him:

"I should test out the defensive aspect as well."

After a quick dodge, he did not evade again, he reached out his right hand toward the savage creature. He pushed it sideways with his palm, gently diverting the monstrous strength behind the attack. The tiger attacked, again and again, one could see the incredulity in its eyes: How could a small creature like this be so troublesome?

"Not bad. Not bad. Now I should take this seriously."

With this thought Bao Zhi took a strange stance, and the tiger came again, but now Bao Zhi counterattacked! He first struck at the head of the animal with great force. This gave him just enough time as the tiger stammered to jump up, his leg chopping downwards like a battleax.

Bam! He hit the creature on its spine.

The tiger cried out in pain, now fueled by rage. The prey has struck back!

"What is this? Why is he using his hands and feet only?"

"He is a battle maniac!"

Jin Ju has not seen anything like this since he spectated a tournament once with his master. Now he recalled something:

"Could he be a rarely seen strength path cultivator?"

He has only heard about this weird and old-fashioned path from Xing Zan. He was not sure, but it fit the description.

The battle now reached its apex in intensity, Bao Zhi was now not dodging at all, letting injuries accumulate on his body, only focusing on attacking, chaining kicks and punches one after the other. The tiger was not faring better, it had multiple broken ribs, one of its eyes blinded, its body limping to one side. Its instincts started to kick in: escape!

"Not so fast!"

Shouted Bao Zhi as he jumped on the back of the beast. He locked his legs around its body and struck its neck with great strength. Again, and again... The anguished cries of the poor animal soon came to an end as it breathed its last, laying in the dust, lifeless.

"Too brutal! Too barbarous!"

These were the thoughts in Jin Ju's mind now. In the later parts of the fight, he even started to take pity on the animal that was foolish enough to attack Bao Zhi.

Bao Zhi walked back to the cart, leaving bloody footsteps in his wake. He reached inside and took one of the jars with healing ointment inside.

He sat down to tend to his injuries. These were only light wounds, but he was bleeding all over his body. It made him look like a deity of carnage.

Jin Ju observed from inside as he pondered on what he has just witnessed:

"Xing Zan has never confronted a beast head-on like this. He always used gu worms to distract or immobilize the creature before striking it down."

He felt that Xing Zan probably wouldn't be able to take a single hit in a similar fight. A kind of admiration and fear emerged in him. This was the way to fight! Direct and forceful! Could he also be so powerful one day? He quickly dispelled the thought, he wasn't even a gu master and he wanted to match up to this monster Bao Zhi?

"Let me pull the cart, you can tend to your injuries on the cart." - Offered Jin Ju.

"No need. It is not the time yet to switch."

Bao Zhi picked up the handles, the cart steadily rolled onward.

Bao Zhi's purpose was twofold. He could have used some expendable gu worms to chase the tiger away. They even would have saved some time and effort. But this was also an opportunity for him to suppress Jin Ju. Later he would place himself in a lower position by himself. He knew deep down that winning a person's heart was winning the person himself!

Even though it seemed like he set Jin Ju free from his master, was he truly free?

...

It was now Jin Ju's turn. He was giving it his all to maintain a steady pace, not too slow, not too fast. Bao Zhi was resting now, laying inside the cart leisurely. He was calculating what to sell and what to keep when the time comes for making his sale.

In the distance Jin Ju noticed something.

"Bao Zhi, look! Those are sun lotuses. We are close to Sun Lotus city now! Half a day and we'll reach the city gates."

* * * * *

7