Chapter 16: Anlaf
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The maiden’s song returned to the wind once more, leaving the way for the initial sound of the soft drumming.

 

*dum* *dum* *dum*

 

Soon a grand orchestra opened. Its arrays of instruments signalled the coming of an epic battle.

 

*Oh Hoh Oh Hoh Oh*

 

The soundtrack hymns synchronised with the spreading shockwave drove Alexander into battle-ready mode as he glanced at his new opponent.

 

A skeleton dragging thick golden chains landed a dozen metres away from Alexander. Although, its size was no different from the nameless footsoldiers Alexander previously defeated. 

 

Its abominable crystal ore heart was oozing heavier bloodlust.

 

As the golden chains fixed to its neck and wrists via a series of golden metallic restrainers clanked, the creature resembled a mad beast more than a normal skeleton. 

 

Alexander inspected it.

 

_ _ _

 

[Attainment]: Inspect

 

  • Mastery: Recruit

 

  • Proficiency: 2% -> 4%

 

_ _ _

 

[Name]: Anlaf the Defiant

 

[Description]: Anlaf the Defiant or Anlaf the Silent. He stood against the burning tide. He never set aside his honour nor his conviction to the cause. However, often in wars, heroes were the first to be sacrificed. Chained to ???, he remained silent, and with that silence as his company, he endured. As his soul gave out, his ego remained to fight another war.

 

[Species]: ???-Undead [Culture]: ???-Demi-Lich

 

[Class]: Death Scout

 

[Level]: 1?(???)

 

[Stats]: 15.4(??) Strength, 17.6(??) Agility, 0(??) Charm, 13(??) Endurance, 14(??) Intelligence,  18.6(??) Mana, 0(??) Mental

 

[Traits]: ???, ???, ???, …

 

[Affinity]: Death, ???, ???

 

[Attainment]: ???, ???, ???, …

 

_ _ _

 

Alexander also inspected the chains, afraid that it would be its weapon.

 

_ _ _

 

[Attainment]: Inspect

 

  • Mastery: Recruit

 

  • Proficiency: 4% -> 6%

 

_ _ _

[Name]: Corrupted Chains of ???

 

[Level]: ??

 

[Rarity]: Rare

 

[Durability]: ???/???

 

[Traits]: ???, ???

 

[Passive]: ???

 

[Description]: A tool to chain those cretins that dared defy our orders.

 

_ _ _

 

*Oh Hoh Oh Hoh Oh*

 

As the soundtrack singers cried, Anlaf lifted its head to look at Alexander. Its black firey eye pierced his soul, making Alexander's instinct fared up.

 

They stared at each other in silence before a notification broke the fragile standoff.

 

_ _ _

 

<Tutorial quest 3: The dead returns - In Progress>

 

<Progress: 00:01/30:00>

 

_ _ _

 

Anlaf attacked first with a howling shriek.

 

*YNAHHH*

 

A thick tar-like string emerged from its rotten crystal ore heart and drifted outwards. Noticing it was using the same skill as the other skeletons, Alexander immediately rushed towards a nearby tombstone to cut the line of sight.

 

Seeing that Alexander was running away, the skeleton gripped its right hand. A lance of pure black energy emerged above its head.

 

With a flick of its right arm, the lance sliced through the air towards Alexander’s legs. Due to his momentum, Alexander doubted he could dodge the incoming projectile.

 

Double downing on his action, he dived his body forwards. The lance barely missed his legs. However, Alexander’s destination, the nearby tombstone, was hit. It silently broke down into sand from the impact.

 

*Gulp* Alexander glanced back to see the devastating effect of Anlaf’s magic. He continued moving towards another tombstone.

 

Alexander’s change of course was enough for the tar-like string to catch up, manifesting a denser chained halo above his head.

 

_ _ _

 

<Tutorial quest 3: The dead returns - In Progress>

 

<Progress: 00:10/30:00>

 

_ _ _

 

With the chained halo created, the skeleton looked at the tombstone Alexander was hiding behind. It clasped its hand together, condensing two walnut-size fire orbs. Intending to share with Alexander its labour, Anlaf lobbed one at Alexander’s hiding spot.

 

Although he didn’t know what Anlaf’s abilities were. Based on his understanding of games, bright and slow-moving orbs tend to be extremely devastating, and Anlaf’s previous spell erased his potential hiding spot. Alexander decided to run.

 

However, as Alexander moved his legs, the halo on his head exuded a dominating aura, doubling the gravity pressing down on him.

 

He gritted. Thankfully, he still got out in time. Of course, not without damage. The fire orb vapourised his previous hiding spot and part of his onesie, exposing his elven buttock.

 

As the fight progressed, the increasingly risqué Alexander continuously streaked from one cover to another, dodging Anlaf’s spells, hoping that the skeleton would eventually run out of mana.

 

_ _ _

 

<Tutorial quest 3: The dead returns - In Progress>

 

<Progress: 00:59/30:00>

 

_ _ _

 

Alexander tilted his head, resting on the last remaining tombstone in the area. Their cat and mouse chase had turned the already decrepit landscape into a hell pit. Craters, holes, blown up graves and debris littered the dilapidated landscape. 

 

Catching his breath, Alexander peeked at the skeleton. 

 

Throughout the last minute, it had thrown 18 or so spells at Alexander. However, it showed no sign of mana exhaustion.

 

‘Did Cillian not finish this boss and give it infinite mana?’

 

Alexander decided to inspect the creature again.

 

_ _ _

 

[Attainment]: Inspect

 

  • Mastery: Recruit

 

  • Proficiency: 6% -> 8%

 

_ _ _

[Name]: Anlaf the Defiant

 

[Level]: 2?(???)

 

[Stats]: 15.4(??) Strength, 19.9(??) Agility, 0(??) Charm, 13(??) Endurance, 16(??) Intelligence,  2?(??) Mana, 1(??) Mental

 

[Traits]: March of the Eternal Legion, ???, ???, …

 

[Affinity]: Death, Fire, Shadow

 

[Attainment]: Umbramancy, Pyromancy, ???, …

 

_ _ _

 

“Oh fuck! It’s [Stats] increased.”

 

Whilst Alexander was having an internal discussion. The skeleton looked at Alexander via the chained halo and clasped its hand together. This time, two denser fire orbs came out.

 

*Gulp* He was barely scraping by its previous weaker attack.

 

Alexander realised that his plan of running the clock down was doomed. He had to attack it to reduce the time before its [Stats] could increase anymore. 

 

With a heavy heart, Alexander charged forward.

 

*Boom*

0