Chapter 22: The Sword, The Chalice and The Lindian Fortress
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Their journey was uneventful after that tiny hiccup.

 

Eventually, they arrived at an unsuspecting fallen giant boulder from the cave ceiling. Yet, the skeleton stopped in front and admired it as if looking at a beautiful cut diamond.

 

Alexander’s gamer sense tinkled.

 

‘A giant boulder laid buried in an alien cavern surrounded by exotic creatures. If this ain’t the place for my next quest, I might as well stop playing games.’

 

Surely enough, the skeleton started attacking the boulder in distinctive sections. Each attack left behind a bony handprint on the rock.

 

It looked as if the skeleton was venting his frustration on the rock. 

 

However, after a few minutes,

 

*Rumbles*

 

As the last attack connected with the boulder, mana lines surged from its bottom towards the handprints, making them glow blue. Quickly afterwards, they escaped, joining all the prints.

 

The rock soon glowed in extreme light before collapsing into small pieces, opening the way for Anlaf and the group. 

 

‘Hehehe!’ I knew it.

 

*Rumbles*

 

As the group passed through, mana lines from the boulder core pulled its pieces back, returning everything to normal.

 

However, Alexander didn’t pay attention to such minor details as something big welcomed his field of view.

 

_ _ _

 

<You have discovered The Lindian Fortress>

 

<+50 Fame>

 

_ _ _

 

Surrounded by a lush forest and ebbed by a winding river, a giant fortress loomed silently on the great hill. Its wall and rampart had long succumbed to the decay of time. However, certain sections remained strong, held up by the greeneries that claimed that area as their own.

 

Regardless of its state of decay, under the setting sun's glimmering light, the majesty of old was still reflected.

 

Of course, the game’s euphonious soundtrack further elevated its grandeur.

 

A duet,

 

One of man and woman,

 

A princess and her prince,

 

The impending future and the glorious past,

 

A maiden whispered the glory of her kingdom whilst her brother fought to keep it alive,

 

A beautiful mixture of bold and soothing,

 

The dripping of wine and blood,

 

A man in broken armour and a girl dawning her wedding gown,

 

The chalice and the sword united as one.

 

Forever.

 

***

 

Enthralled under the guiding melody in tandem with the magnificent sight, it took Alexander a while to realise something was wrong. 

 

‘Wait! Sunlight?’ Alexander looked up and found that he was no longer in the enclosed cavern but in a giant ravine.

 

However, Anlaf didn’t allow Alexander to continue sightseeing and headed toward the gate.

 

***

 

As they travelled, the shadow cast by the one-mighty fortress became wider. Alexander could see parts of it littered across the field whilst wild vegetation intermixed amongst the damaged parts. 

 

The place had certainly been abandoned for a long time.

 

Yet strangely enough, Alexander could see faint movement within the still-standing walls.

 

As the fortress gate finally appeared, Alexander realised that the fortress still held inhabitants. Not of humans but of skeletons.

 

Legions of skeletons stood guard stalwartly by the gates and on the rampart. Their fiery blue eyes gazed in the determination to protect their fortress. Their hands held high, still believing that their weapons hadn't faded in the river of time.  

 

The legions moved in rank and file, patrolling their once-grand fortress. Their movement was precise and disciplined, relentless in their eternal duties.

 

Yet, they were no different from marionettes on strings. Their movements were mechanical without any deviation, however mindless and unthinking.

 

As Anlaf, Alexander and the Panthershutts group passed the broken gates, they didn’t bat an eye nor change their directives.

 

Alexander decided to inspect one of them.

 

_ _ _

 

[Name]: Eternal-Soldier

 

[Description]: Through the embrace of this accursed land, these soldiers who vowed to give up their lives in the protection of their fortress rise again. Now, they stand eternal in the service and defence of their once beloved land.

 

[Species]: ???-Undead [Culture]: Skeleton

 

[Level]: 5

 

[Stats]: 8 Strength, 7 Agility, 0 Charm, 5 Endurance, 7 Intelligence, 5 Mana

 

[Traits]: March of the Eternal Legion

 

_ _ _

 

And as Alexander scanned around, the skeletons he saw were within the range of levels 1 to 10. 

 

***

 

Eventually, their group made it to the training field. Although worn down, skeletons could still be seen moving in synchronisation and practising their swords and spears. As usual, they were not wielding anything but just stood there, swinging their hands at the air.

 

Anlaf dropped Alexander and the chains in front of an armoured skeleton. It saluted the creature before leaving, saying not a word of goodbye to Alexander.

 

The group of Panthershutt also decided to follow the scary Anlaf. However, they gave Alexander a saluting *Purr* before leaving.

 

“It … has been … so long … since we … last have …  a new recruit,” a husky voice spoke to Alexander. 

 

Glancing up, Alexander found that the armoured skeleton was looking at him with keen interest. 

 

As a veteran of war, its skull bared many scars. It had the same blue fiery eyes as Anlaf, yet they smouldered with a calmer intensity. Its heavy armour, mostly resembling scraps, protected its chest and lower body.

 

The unique part about this skeleton was that it was speaking, albeit struggling with it.

 

Its jaw was not even moving, assuring Alexander that it spoke through mana.

 

The creature, on the other hand, ignored Alexander’s inquisitive gaze.

 

“Come …” It gestured for Alexander to follow it. “New recruits … must prove themselves … at the wall.”

 

Finally able to move his body, Alexander stood up. He first checked for his twin swords. Luckily both of them had returned to their sheaths on Alexander’s back. And, of course, his onesie had fully regenerated, wrapping him in the embrace of pink fluffiness.

 

Alexander vowed to find a new piece of outfit as soon as possible.

 

After confirming everything, Alexander dashed to catch up to the armoured skeleton. However, unbeknownst to him, the golden chains on the ground also moved.

0