Chapter 1: Confusion and Curses
28 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ken awoke, groggy, with his feet aching, he looked down causing him to think he was still dreaming. He was standing straight as an arrow in the ground, with cracks billowing out from where he had landed. Falling back onto the ground, he stared at his feet a prominent discolored blueish black that faded near his ankles. Remembering the fall and the windows that came with it he tried it again.

Status

Status
VP: 100% (82 Years)
MP: N/A

Talents(!)
Curses(!)

Notifications(+2)

A greenish screen was overlayed in his vision. It was see through, but it was bright enough that he could see it clearly. There were notifications on three of them, but he already had a sneaking suspicion of what curses would tell him. Tapping notifications gave him some insight on what had happened to him.

Notifications
You have died
You have been lucky to be reincarnated
??? Laughs at your death
??? Gifts a System Package Special
System Installed
Status Available
Free Talent Available
Free Curse Available
??? has dropped you

A lot to take in there. He had been lucky to be reincarnated and then someone gave him this system and dropped him. Literally dropped him from the sky. Ken didn't know how to feel about that. Grateful to be reincarnated with a system or angry that it dropped him from the sky and laughed at his previous death. Ken just decided to have an uneasy thankfulness to the three question marks, Since it did save him?

He looks back at the original menu, or at least thinks about it and the system complies, which means its thought based, even if he could tap on it his hand could fade through. Better he found this out early he thought. Opening the exclamation point notifications on the sub-menus brings up two more descriptions. 

Talents 
-Broom Flight: 0% Novice
Requires broom, higher mastery unlocks other flight options.

Curses
-Demon's Curse: 5% Novice
Increases damage resistance considerably on affected areas, increases volatile emotions,  increased pain tolerance, drastically decreases lifespan as mastery improves. (Purification Necessary to live. Detected proper purification in KIA, Directly North) 

The words parentheses flashed a bright red, and then faded. Which helped Ken settle his short term goals straight away. Main Goal, get to KIA, whatever that place is. Sub-goal, find or make a broom, since broom flight would probably be a faster type of transportation than walking. The system seemed to have the same idea as he got a few new notifications agreeing to his goals. 

Goals
Get to KIA - 0.2%

Sub-goals
Make Broom - 0%

Well the Goal screen helped Ken find which direction was north. It greatly helped given he could see two suns in the sky, and he only new about finding north using one sun. He was also much closer to completing the sub goal too, since there were a lot of broken branches around him, since the whole falling from the sky thing. After picking up a long, mostly straight, branch the percent went up to 13%. 

Most of the menus went away, but the Goals screen just shrunk considerably and floated in the corner of his vision. Which was fine, it didn't really bother him. With all of that squared away, the baseless curiosity wore off and he started to panic from the absurdity of it all. Rocking back and forth on the ground, his mind shut down and he passed out again. 

 

An unknown amount of time later, Ken woke up again. He wasn't ever an outdoor person, outside of land and sky gazing, which was just watching nature. He had no survival experience, and liked to stay inside. Waking up with an aching back he had to confirm it really wasn't a nightmare, that this was real life. The sky was much darker, the sky littered with pinpoints of starlight. Given the two sun situation from earlier there was only one moon, though it looked much bigger and brighter. 

Where he was laying there was a soft beam of light on him, from the broken trees. Everywhere else there was less light as the trees blocked most of it from touching the ground. Ken took to looking at himself again. He was wearing coarse linen clothes, the bunched up against the edge near his ankles and wrists. Two pockets, but nothing in them, and that was all. No shoes covering his black feet. He couldn't feel a lot, when he walked around, He felt the rocks and broken branches, but it wasn't pain just the odd sense that he was stepping on something flat, even when the rocks looked jagged. He stomped his foot a few times on the ground, feeling lightness in his steps. 

CRACK! 
Ken jumped away in surprise. There was a foot shaped indent in the ground, and what looked like powder. The small voice in his head repeating suspicions that he tried to ignore, but decided to accept since this whole thing was absurd already. He tried to remember the familiarity in what it looked like. The descriptions of the curse in that menu thing sounded very much like Nago the Boar demon's curse from Mononoke Hime. He just had his curse on his feet rather then his arm. He tried one more test, but the signs were evident. 

He punched a tree, leaving an indent with a bruised fist. It hurt, but he never had enough strength to make an indent in a tree. He tried kicking it, a simple roundhouse and his foot cleaved into it a third of the way through. His foot didn't hurt at all, and he barely felt the impact in general.

It was obvious the system special was taken from Ken's favorite anime studio. He wanted to stay uncertain, but Broom Riding? That was a staple of Majo no Takkyūbin. It was cool, but now even more concerning, since he knew what the Demon curse could do. He started hurriedly walking in the direction of KIA, since while it was a cool power, he knew the longer he had it he would die from the curse.

His adventure has begun.

0