Chapter 8, The Beginning of The End III
93 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thomas kicked the door open and we all exploded into a run. We had to get to Derlith Station as fast as possible, we only had twenty minutes. Wait, where even was Derlith Station? It was one of the stations I didn't need to go to get to or from work. Thankfully, Thomas looked as if he knew the way as he instructed us hastily. We turned the block and we were unfortunately met with a crowd of demonic people blocking our way. 

"Gruk! Gruk! Gruk!"

This was truly a predicament. The demonic people were launching onto one another, trying to get to us. Perhaps they were trying to latch onto our skulls and eat our brains. Probably, although I don't think my brain tastes good. I moved Leo clutching our groceries to the side and unsheathed my knife from my pocket. 

[The Constellation 'The Dog Who Threw Himself into The Flames' is rooting for the demonic people.]

Good grief. Was this constellation really that much of a sore loser? People probably don't accept their sponsorship offers. Rightly so, he most definitely seems weak. I dashed forward and sliced a demonic person's head off.

Even though I didn’t have much training in wielding weapons, I still could analyse which vital points were necessary for victory. They weren’t human anymore, so I didn’t feel that bad for killing them. Rather, I felt vexed on behalf of them, these dokkaebis were using their corpses to do dirty work. Scum.

[50 coins have been earned as an additional compensation.]

[A large number of coins has been acquired! Do you want to check the coin usage tips?]

I was wondering what these coins would do. I accepted the invitation and the tips flood into my ears. I sluggishly dodged the incoming swipe from the demonic person and sliced another few demonic people. The long lasting defense had backed me up against a wall. Although this was now a game-like world, my physique and stamina did not change a bit. I had to wait for a few couple seconds to catch my breath whilst simultaneously dodging the incoming demonic people's attacks. At this rate, I would not advance any further in these scenarios. It was then the demonic person towering over me was thrown off balance and the head flung off. Behind the headless corpse, Mia's face could be seen wielding the steel pan. She stuck out her hand and picked me up. The horde of zombies were slowly approaching us, mouths drooling with ill intent. It was now or never. 

[You have a total of 550 coins.]

[200 coins have been invested into 'Physique'.]

[Physique Lv. 1 -> Physique Lv. 3]

[Your physique level has increased partially!]

[The durability of your body has greatly increased!]

[200 coins have been invested into 'Agility'.]

[Agility Lv. 1 -> Agility Lv. 3]

[Now you can move a bit faster.]

I felt my muscles burst out as if they had gotten bigger and my body become lighter. Taking in a deep breath, I charged toward the horde. I swiftly made my way through the compact horde slicing and piercing the demonic people with ease. The identical messages bombarded my ears. 

...

[You have killed a demonic person. ]

[50 coins have been earned as additional compensation.]

[You have killed a demonic person.]

[50 coins have been earned as additional compensation.]

...

Although I had increased my stats, I most definitely wasn't invincible. As I was about to puncture a demonic person's chest before I was flung by another,  colliding into a dumpster. 

THUD! 

I coughed out blood irregularly, spurting it out with a mix of bile. It was the first time I took a blow like this, these demonic people really weren't human anymore. If only I was born a little stronger, or worked out. These demons were advanced and I was no match for them, even when increasing my stats. I tried to shake off the pain whilst scrutizining at the familiar figure before me. Large build, dark brown hair, sharp downturned eyes. This was.. Indeed. This was Caission Grey, now towering over me.

"Kuaaaack!"

Caission loomed over me and my heart skipped a beat. Being this close to me, I could taste and feel the disgusting aura that penetrated my body. The repulsive aura was too much for me to handle and I felt like throwing up. It was then the now demonic person Caission held me up and strangled me. I was forced to drop my knife as my body became limp from the pure strength and aura overwhelming me. Was I really going to die here? I could feel my consciousness fading away. 

「 I don't want to die. 」

[Exclusive Skill, Capture Lv.2 has been activated!] 

[Your understanding of the person 'Caission Grey' has increased!] 

Suddenly, my consciousness flooded back into me and just like last time, possible solutions became known to me. I really owed a lot to this skill. I used my newfound physique and forced my fist to slam into his face. I had now slithered from Caission's grasp and walking backwards, I picked up the knife. 

[The demonic person 'Caission Grey' has activated the 'Dogfight Lv. 1' skill.]

Caission Grey took a threatening Greco-Roman wrestling posture and rushed towards me. I had barely managed to dodge this formidable boulder and rolled to the side. The impact of Caission's collision was much greater now that he had become a demonic person. Streaks of his aura were left on the ground and I was afraid to go near it because it seemed lethal.

[The Constellation 'Victorious Lion Heart' is enjoying your struggle.]

[The Constellation 'Victorious Lion Heart' has donated 300 coins.]

[A few constellations wish for your demise.]

It appears that the constellations are activately watching me, and are using me for entertainment like a monkey in a circus. The coins are most certainly useful though, keep that up.

[200 coins have been invested into 'Agility'.]

[Agility Lv. 3 -> Agility Lv. 5]

I swerved from the incoming punch and impaled Caission's right arm. 

"Kuaaaack!"

[There are 10 minutes remaining until the end of the scenario.]

Crap. At this rate, there was going to be no next time. But why wasn't the failure condition explicit? I didn't want to find out and pounced again onto Caission. Comparing my physique to his, it was going to be hard to eliminate him. ――That would be if I didn’t have this skill.

A thin, white string unveiled. I wasn’t smart enough to clear a way to neutralise Caission, but that was only naturally. I moved every inch of my body, jumped into the air with grace, foot onto the wall. As Caission looked up into the air, I thrust my foot on the wall. He raised his arm to intercept my trajectory, it was already too late, I landed on the ground. 

Pouring magic power into my weapon, I had allowed my knife to become ‘enhanced’.

[Exclusive Skill, Capture Lv.2 has been deactivated.] 

Caission's disfigured skull dropped onto ground, traces of mana lingered on the base.

2