Chapter 12, Territorial Conflict III
93 4 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

['Judgment Time' has been activated.]

That was the last message I heard before Leo was illuminated by the several light sparks that surrounded his body.

The atmosphere shifted suddenly at the newfound ability. Many of the goons running towards me stopped promptly, gaping at this sudden show of strength that they hadn't seen before. I too was mesermised, I never knew Leo could be this powerful.

I was grateful that I didn't abandon him in the last scenario. Irvin's goons started to back away but Leo wouldn't let them move an inch. It was time for us to show a lesson, that we shouldn't be messed with and taken lightly. 

Leo dashed forward with immense speed, blowing the hair on my head. The speed when I had Warrior's Delightnesses’ buff could not be compared to Leo's new skill. Leo Collins emitted a calming aura around his body as his blade painted an sparking trail. It was a light and precise kendo that moved between the gangsters. Blood rained everywhere.

[The Constellation 'Gracious Judge of Thunder' is clapping its hands in delight!] 

For a Constellation with "gracious" in its name, it sure was happy with Leo Collins obliterating these gangsters with no mercy. I watched in awe as Leo exhibited excellent footwork, he moved with no hesitation and pierced the gangsters with such particularity. This skill was truly something else. I envied him. 

"Arghhh!" 

"What! What the fu-!" 

"He's a monster!" 

Majority of the gangsters were on the ground, whimpering and begging for mercy. Leo watched them beg for mercy with his lifeless eyes. 

"Leo!"

He titled his head back at me and smiled, blood stained onto his left cheek. It was great he saved us from further conflict but I didn't want him to become a murderer here. He seemed to understand my concerns and drew back his sword and returned. I watched as the gangsters crawled back to Sawyer Irvin, who was traumatized and trembling with fear.

Poof! 

He finally showed up again, its been a while. A familiar voice was heard.

Giryu. 

[Thank you for the performance! It was truly a sight to be seen. I also gained a lot of constellations and coins from that scenario.]

He muttered to himself, chuckling. 

[But constellations, don't you think this scenario is too easy? These bugs are hogging food and trading it like it's still the old world. Don't you think we should increase the difficulty a little?] 

With a click of the dokkaebi's fingers, the food we had brought to the station had disappeared. 

[A scenario penalty has been added.]

[From now on, food stockpiling is limited.]

[7th grade monster, 'Great poisonous rhinoceros' is in the aboveground in the scenario area!] 

[Still a little bit too easy, don't you think so too, constellations?] 

The dokkaebi looked at me then smirked. The following messages then popped up. 

[A scenario penalty has been added.]

[The 'survival cost' clause has been added.]

[From now on, 100 coins will be deducted every night for the 'survival cost'. If you can't pay the 'survival cost,' you will die.]

[The 'survival cost' penalty will be maintained until the third main scenario is cleared.]

The noise in the station started to rise significantly. 100 coins every night? The vast majority of the people here definitely couldn’t afford that. I looked at my companions and saw their troubled expressions as well, this wasn't a good situation. Not to mention the poisonous rhinoceros, dammit, did this dokkaebi just want to kill us all? 

[Coins Possessed: 14,200 C]

I did had a lot of coins already, but I couldn't waste them being instantly depleted due to this situation. I had to fend for myself and my companions. 

"Mia, Leo." 

They both looked up at me. There was only one way we could get through these scenario penalties without dying. This meant adapting to the new world we're thrown in. 

"It seems we'll have to go monster hunting."


Mia, Leo and I approached the railway track. Honestly, I really didn't want to do this. Even though I've somewhat adapted to this new world, that didn't mean I wasn't phased by everything. I hesitated a little before stepping down, hopefully I could grow some balls and lead the way, I mean, I’d also be content if Leo did, either way worked. In the end, nobody made a move so I was forced to.

"Let's get to work I guess." I anxiously chuckled. I really didn't want to do this. 

[A new sub-scenario has arrived!]

[Second Scenario – Food Acquisition]

Category: Sub

Difficulty: E

Clear Conditions: Directly hunt the monsters that can be used as food and cook them.

Time Limit: None

Compensation: 500 coins

Failure: ???

 

My prediction was correct. We needed to hunt monsters and eat them. But was just roasting them enough? I decided to not to jump the gun and focus on the situation at hand, we needed to defeat some monsters first. 

[You have entered a dangerous area.]

[The Constellation 'Lady with the Lamp' is offering you some light.]

Mia Becker held the flashlight as we walked in a V-shaped pattern, me and Leo in the front whilst her in the rear. We walked past a large lump of flesh, that was being feasted on by thin rats. Was this a monster? No way a person was strong enough to defeat it already.

At that moment, was when we heard a faint but noticeable sound in the distance. 

"Kweeeeok!"

All of our senses became alert as we unsheathed our weapons, getting ready for combat. The ground rat leapt up at me and Leo stepped forward and sliced its neck off. I was surprised at his sudden growth, I still couldn't fathom how powerful he had become.

It seemed as though these ground rats hunted in packs as many more started rushing towards us with high pitched squeals. I brought my enhanced blade forward and penetrated the ground rats side whilst Mia dug her spear into the ground rats eye. For a team of 3, we were holding our own surprisingly well for people who had never fought together before. Our chemistry was really showing. 

[The Constellation 'Victorious Lion Heart' is salivating.]

[You have been sponsored 200 coins.]

 


 

After a while, we had finally finished off these aggravating ground rats. The group decided to take a breather, though the ground rats were idiots, they were no joke. I decided to upgrade my stats and pay the survival penalty in the meantime. 

[Physique Lv. 8 -> Physique Lv. 11] 

[The durability of your body has greatly increased!]

[Strength Lv. 8 -> Strength Lv. 11]

[A stronger force will come from your muscles!]

[Agility Lv. 11 -> Agility Lv. 12] 

[Now you can move a bit faster.]

[Magic Power Lv. 4 -> Magic Power Lv. 10]

[A mysterious energy lives in your soul.]

Physique was extremely important for a person like me. Such person with a thin build couldn't take much blows. After completing our short rest, we ventured more into the unknown.

 


After our treacherous journey, we stumbled open a hidden door. 

"Guys..."

I looked over after defeating the last ground rat. 

"What is it?" 

Mia Becker looked over too and shone the flashlight where Leo Collins was pointing at. We could see a weirdly placed door, it looked antique and not touched for ages. Did something like this truly exist in a railway? 

"I-I don't think we should go in there."

"Why not?" 

"It gives me an eerie feel." Mia shuddered at her words and I couldn't disagree with her. Gazing at the door, I felt as if spirits were inhabiting whatever was behind it. I wasn't a big fan of ghosts myself.

"I think we should go in there." Leo answered, shrugging. 

"If this world is like a game, then there’s probably some rewards inside, right?" 

Though, Leo was right too. There could be some awesome rewards in there which may grant us a huge buff.

"Fine. We'll go in. Mia, are you coming too?" 

Mia Becker contemplated for a moment before nodding. I knew she probably didn't want to go inside but she didn't want to risk being out here in the railways alone. I took in a deep breath before pushing the ancient door open. We walked in. 

[You have entered another dangerous scenario.]

[You have entered the catacombs!] 

Upon my entry, I could see various hollow heads on top of one of other. As the name stated, this was definitely a catacomb. Although it was, there seemed to be different shaped heads. A few times I could see a sea serpents head, another a ground rat, another a few turtles and human heads. How did these even get here? 

Mia, Leo and I wandered around the maze-like tunnels some more. Mia Becker was horrified as she walked around and over the heads, jolting at every miniscule movement made by gravity. I looked around felt like these heads were watching me intently, was I just going insane?

I shook off the eerie leer I was imagining and kept on walking forward. We finally reached another door in the catacombs. I looked behind and was reassured by Leo's nod and Mia's anxious stare to open the door. I twisted the door knob and gently opened the door. 

... 

A vast room could be seen and various heads surrounded the room like decorations. We walked in and I could see in the middle, various heads spiralled around the center. A coffin was in the center of those heads. 

"What could it be?" Leo curiously muttered. It looked like he was really enjoying this. 

Leo moved forward, onto the skulls and towered over the coffin. He examined the coffin for a moment before ripping it open. He turned back to us. 

"Hey guys, look. There's just a body in here but it's not-"

[The sub scenario has been updated!]

A devilish aura was felt instantly. Leo turned behind him and gazed upon the scythe that was making its way to cut his neck off. I reflexively bolted to his location. It seemed that due to my stat increase, I could intercept the blow of the scythe.

I leapt into the air and my knife clashed with the scythe. I stared at the wielder of the Scythe and took note of its details. I could see horrid devilish aura emitting from the humanoid figure, its horns were aloof as it leered at me. 

"Yom. Dittur. Kalam."

He seemed to utter these words in rage and grew fierce, the clash between us was slowly become one sided. My knife was no match for the elongated scythe. He raised his scythe once more and I parried, jumping away. At this moment, skeletal sounds could be heard from the surroundings. I quickly glanced back and saw that the skeletal skulls were gaining shape and slowly became 'alive' almost. I watched as Mia started backing away and reveal her spear, I had no more time to think about the others as the humanoid demon sprung toward me with great speed. I grimaced as we clashed blows, I thought to myself that this battle was possibly out of our league. I tried not to trade blows with the demon but kept my distance. 

"Leo! Defend yourself from the skeletons with Mia! Have each others backs!" 

"But what about you?" 

"Don't worry, I've got this."

――I was bluffing.

Slowly being overwhelmed by the demon, I was gradually being pushed back by the sheer amount of power he exhibited. I held my knife tighter in my hand as I rushed back at the demon. The rest of them were counting on me to finish him off, I couldn't let them down and die here. No way. 

"Kamyun!" 

The demon roared this before trying an attack of his. A wave of demonic aura quickly slashed out from his scythe. I swerved the slash and pierced the demons' abdomen. I leapt back with the knife, just barely dodging the slash of the scythe. If I wasn't quicker, my head would've came off clean, thank goodness I chose to upgrade my stats.

But this dude was taking blows like a champ. The demon barely flinched when I pierced his abdomen. Was this creature just going to take blows like it was nothing? 

The demon leapt out at me again and this time my side was penetrated by his scythe. I let out a light curse before turning my attention back at him. It then rushed toward me again, murderous intent to take my head right now. I sprung up into the air above his scythe and my foot connected with his head, smashing it into the ground. The scythe flew away and the demon was temporarily stunned for the moment.

I lowered and went for the kill but his fingernails instantaneously extended and lashed out at me. It didn't touch my skin but my clothing became ripped to shreds. That really reminded me, I need new clothes. 

"Ker Moneb Dar!" 

The demon became boiled with rage and I tried to dash forward for another exchange, but my feet wouldn't move. 

[The 'Guardian' has emitted 'Fear'.] 

I became frozen in my tracks and my heart began beating rapidly. I saw the demon pick up his scythe and approach me slowly, it seems I've really pissed him off. 

[The Constellation 'Demon of Misery and Pain' is laughing at you.]

[The Constellation 'Gracious Judge of Thunder' is begging you to get up!]

Dammit, why was I so scared and why did my legs feel so sleepy all of a sudden..? I dropped to my knees and watched as the demon with an annoyed expression on his face approached me with his scythe. I constantly tried forcing my legs to move but it just wouldn't budge. 

"Mien Kutga Gafiur." He muttered before raising his scythe. 

[Exclusive Skill 'Capture Lv. 3' has activated!] 

[The exclusive skill 'Capture' has neutralized most of the 'Fear' effect.] 

Belatedly but ironically just in time, my control over my legs grew back and I hopped into the air. 

"Kuaaah!" The guardian shrieked as its head was cut off. 

I landed back onto the ground and watched as the Guardian’s head rolled along the ground. The Guardian screamed all sorts of words from his language before meeting with my foot. With its final word being exceptionally louder, I penetrated its skull and it turned to ashes along with its scythe.

As soon as I killed it, all the skeletons that Mia and Leo were dealing with crumbled to bits. 

"Aksel!" 

Leo rushed towards me and gave me a big hug. It was comforting. 

"A-aksel..."

Mia came staggering behind, too stunned to say anything more.

A light blue interface then appeared before me. 

[A 6th grade demon has been hunted for the first time!]

[An impossible feat has been accomplished.]

[You have earned 8,000 coins.]

[Several Constellations applaud your scenario! ]

[1,000 coins have been sponsored.]

[The Constellation 'Victorious Lion Heart' celebrates your victory!] 

[200 coins have been sponsored.]

[The Constellation 'Gracious Judge of Thunder' is happy you're alive!] 

[500 coins have been sponsored.]

... 

I watched intently as all the messages poured in, I was shocked myself and couldn't believe what had just happened. Mia pointed over to the distance. 

"Look!" 

A few treasure chests could be seen. I smiled and replied,

"Let's open it, shall we?"

 


 

After a while, we searched through the treasures and pulled out one each.

[Magic Power Stove] 

[Ominous Eclipse] 

[Healing Ointment] 

My expression grew ecstatic at the sight of [Ominous Eclipse]. The blade was jet black, with only the hilt having a light tone to it.

I had really been wanting to wield a sword and now was my chance to do so. Leo gained notice of my expression and gave a slight smile.

"――Ah.. No. It's okay Leo, you can have it."

"No, surely, you can have it Aksel. You've done so much for me."

"I insist Leo, it'd go to much better use if you had it."

After a minute of back and forth bickering, Leo's face lit up. 

"Thank you so much!" 

[The Incarnation 'Leo Collins' won't hesitate to be your sword in the future.]

"I will take the healing ointment, if that's fine with you Aksel."

I looked over at Mia and gave her a thumbs up, the healing ointment was a great choice, maybe she could also put it to better use than me.

The only item left was the [Magic Power Stove]. It seemed to be a team item rather than an one man item. I looked at it before calling to Leo. 

"Leo, could you bring over here one of the ground rats?"

Leo nodded and was out at once. A while after, he came back with a huge ground rat we hunted. Fortunately, he had already cut the meat up for us. I went and picked up one of the skeletal spinal cords and dug it into the meat and roasted it over the fire. 

"I'll try it and give you the heads up if it's safe."

After the meat was roasted, I dug into it as my companions watched me intently. I swallowed the batch and waited.

[The Constellation 'Artistic Chef' is foaming at the mouth.]

"It's… ――So good."

My companions grabbed some meat for themselves and began to roast it at once. We had all been very hungry and devoured the meat in seconds. By the end of it we could hardly move from the amount of meat we consumed. 

"I guess that's all to savour, we should get going now."

We picked up our things and then left the catacombs. 

[You have met the conditions to clear the sub scenario!]

[You have earned 500 coins.]

[A handful of constellations admire your scenario.]

[The second main scenario is enabled.]

[Main Scenario #2 - Meeting] 

Category: Main

Difficulty: E

Clear Conditions: Cross the tunnel and meet the survivors in the first main base.

Time Limit: None

Compensation: 500 coins

Failure: ???

 

 [The next main base is 'Ujiron'.]

 


Hi guys! Sorry (or you're welcome) for another long chapter! But I was wondering, would you like me to do long chapters or shorter ones (mainly the length of Chapter 8 or 9 or whichever one you think is the best). Thank you and have a good day /night!

3