Chapter 26, Rise of the Disasters III
19 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Erich Caine slapped the meat of a monster onto the Magic Power Stove as me and Hyerin stood back.

"Let's just go after the disaster already." she said, picking up a rock and accidentally booting it at an extraterrestrial plant. The plant trembled and its branch shot out to kill Hyerin. I stopped it in its track and the branch fell onto the ground.

"Did you forget the sub scenario? Besides, the catastrophe isn't going to go anywhere. Are you still crying about not doing anything to the Drakon?"

Hyerin threw a dagger that nearly killed me.

"Don't say stupid things."

"No need to get so worked up about it, some things aren't fit for some people." I said in a sarcastic tone. 

"I will really kill you."

Our conversation was interrupted by Erich's call for dinner. We each grabbed a piece of meat and ate. A system message soon popped up.

[Someone has dealt with the Disaster of Earth that came from the north.]

I took a big bite.

"It seems someone else has taken care of one already."

I'm glad it was so, I felt exhausted from fighting. It was most likely the Astute King or Leo Collins, they're the most powerful people I know in Griemore besides me.

"Whatever. Let's just go already!" 

Soon after, Hyerin let out a loud burp which shook the room. She tossed away the bone, surprisingly, she finished it quickly. 

"We all need to get some rest. We' ll find another tomorrow. We'll take turns sleeping too, Hyerin you stay watch."

"Why is it always me?!" 

Erich giggled as she became enraged. 

"Remember, you chose to stay with us." I said, trying to hide the big grin on my face. 

"Ugh... Fine. But I'll kick you awake after 6 hours."

I gave her a thumbs up as me and Erich headed inside the worn out, broken building. Not so long after, Erich Caine was already out cold, snoring peacefully in his sleep under the blanket. I was lying against a pillar in the room, it took me abnormally long to sleep so I stared up at the ceiling and began to ponder. 

What was the reason for this apocalypse? How did these dokkaebis and this system come to be so suddenly? Every thought I had about the situation confused me further and further. Why did I even push myself so far...? I stumped myself with my own question, but it was a reasonable question, why was I going so far?

This reoccurring absurd thought was the one that fortunately put me to sleep. Although, unfortunately that didn't last long as I was kicked repeatedly by Hyerin. 

 "Wake up old man!" 

I began clutching my chest as I woke up. 

"Damn... That hurt. You didn't really need to do that."

"Couldn't help it, I always keep my promises." She sneered and kicked me once again. 

"Fine, fine. I'm awake."

Dammit, was this woman always so annoying? 

"We'll leave after another six hours, alright?"

"Fine by me, I just wanna kick some otherworldly monster ass already."

She stretched then laid down on the ground. 

"Hey, Hyerin?" 

"Huh?" She gazed up at me from below, hands folded behind her head. 

"Do you ever think about the reason for this apocalypse? How it came to be so suddenly?"

Hyerin shifted her eyes around the room as if she was looking for the answer but just shrugged. 

"Eh, that's a drag. I've just come to accept it now. But maybe one day, when all this is over, we'll know then, right?" 

Her compelling brown eyes locked with my eyes for a few seconds. 

"Sure. I guess you're right. But don't die on me before then, eh?" 

Hyerin suddenly stood up in anger and I took that as my cue to leave. 

"You're the old man here! You'll be the first to die, not me!" 

Her voice faded as I stepped out and I looked towards the night sky, which was twinkling with countless stars. Could these beings know the truth too? Or are they searching like us too? These continuous thoughts carried me throughout the six hours.


"Rise and shine!" I burst into the room and shook Hyerin Jeon awake. 

"It's time to hunt down the catastrophe!"

Erich groaned and stretched as he slowly woke up but Hyerin was still in a deep sleep. 

"Give... Five more... Minutes..."

This was great. Now I could pay her back.

"Ow! You bastard!" 

Hyerin yelped in pain because of the kick I sent her. 

"Couldn't help it."

"That's not how you treat a woman, old man. You were probably single your whole life, weren't you?" 

I rolled my eyes and spoke. 

"With that attitude of yours I would never consider you a woman."

Erich Caine grabbed his trident and approached my side briskly. 

"We'll get going in a few minutes, with or without you."

Hyerin muttered a few things under her breath as she rose from her slumber. She whipped on her Infinite Dimension Space Coat and trailed behind us. It was now time to hunt the next disaster. 


Hyerin Jeon, Erich Caine and I started looking for the other catastrophes. Erich Caine led in front as the little ants he was communicating with marched forward. Hyerin watched in disgust as he picked up one of the ants.

"So this is his skill or whatever? Gross. Why can't he just use his dragon fly or something?"

"He's not made of magic power, he can only go so far controlling that thing."

She scoffed.

"Whatever."

Erich turned back and listened as the little insect talked to him.

"Hm... Okay. He says if we go right for half a mile then we'll see another catastrophe."

Erich winced for a moment after he finished talking and hugged himself. 

"It's... Also cold over there."

I walked forward and patted him, now taking the lead.

"Good job Erich, I can take it from here. Also Hyerin, if you don't like it you're free to leave."

Erich blew a raspberry as he came and joined me at my side. Hyerin frowned but reluctantly trailed along behind us.


We shortly came unto another shell. This time, unlike Calssus', the shell was a light blue and it emitted some frost through the cracks. 

"It looks like it's about to hatch soon." said Erich as he gazed upon the shell. 

"Yeah. So we'll need to get ready to kill it quickly as possible."

Hyerin slipped through us and placed her hand on the shell. 

"Watch this neat trick I found. We can kill it quicker this way."

She focused and I could feel the shell absorbing magic power. 

"Did you use this to hatch the Plyembrian Drakon early?" 

"Maybe. Look, I only made a slight mistake there. This time it'll be different, I'll kill it quickly."

"No, that's too reckless. We don't know what we're dealing with."

I swiftly approached her and grabbed her arm. Was this woman's pride damaged so much that she needed to hatch the beast so early? 

"Let go. It'll be quick I can catch it off guard." 

"You don't know what you're dealing with. It's too dangerous." 

Hyerin Jeon grabbed my arm with her other hand and twisted it, letting my grip on her loose. She pushed me away and trapped me inside a yellow dome. 

"Relax, old man. No need to get so worked up, just watch."

As she uttered those words, the cracks on the shell started expanding slowly. In an instant, the air grew dense and as Hyerin exhaled, frost could be seen.

The shell started cracking quicker and parts of it fell off. The creature inside the shell slowly rose up, it rose and rose and rose, it would be crazy to think that such a huge creature was confined in that shell. 

The creature's features seemed to somewhat resemble one of an ice golem. It slowly descended and its eyes locked with Hyerin's. 

[The 6th grade ice monster species, 'Ice Golem Dagurt' has appeared!]

She rapidly jumped back and casted a dome all over the creature, trapping him inside. Trapping that golem inside must have been absorbing Hyerin's mana promptly due to its size because multiple sweat droplets ran down her forehead. I banged on the barrier trying to get Hyerin's attention but it was no use, she was completely mesmerised by the monster. 

The Ice Golem broke a hole through the dome with ease and sent icicles raining down onto Hyerin. 

"Hyerin!" 

She snapped back into reality just in time to deflect the icicles with her barrier. She glanced over to me and the dome trapping us vanished. 

"I didn't know it'd be that big..."

"Me neither, but there's no point dwelling on the past now."

I unsheathed my Dojigiri for the first time in a while and it roared into life.

The frost that formed on my face quickly dissolved into liquid that ran down my cheek and onto the ground. 

[You have consumed 13,000 coins.]

[Magic Power Lv. 25 -> Magic Power Lv. 42]

[A ferocious aura starts to blossom inside of you.]

[You have consumed 8,000 coins.]

[Agility Lv. 45 -> Agility Lv. 50]

[You have become part of the wind.]

[You have consumed 6,500 coins.]

[Strength Lv. 30 -> Strength Lv. 40]

[The giants gape at your strength.]

[You have consumed 5,500 coins.]

[Physique Lv. 20 -> Physique Lv. 30]

[Your muscles start to break through its limits.]

[A total of 33,000 coins have been consumed.]

The others stared in amazement after I updated my stats. I could even sense the change myself. Even though the upgrades put a dent in my bank, I pretty much gained as much coins as I lost in a few minutes. 

[A few constellations are attracted to your strength.]

[The Constellation 'She Who Brings Victory' says you are on the road to becoming worthy!] 

[The Constellation 'Duke of Firmness and Compassion' is amazed!] 

[22,000 coins have been sponsored.]

Nevertheless, a new aura could be felt emitting from me and that same aura intrigued the Ice Golem's attention. The Ice Golem stomped towards me, its foot smashing the ground and turning it to ice. I took a deep breath and shot off the ground.

My approach toward the Ice Golem was unstoppable. I lifted my Dojigiri up, which was now giving off streaks of blue flames, and aimed it at the golem's neck. The Ice Golem looked at me with a searing stare and raised its hand. The flame on my Dojigiri slowly extinguished as I entered the golem's domain and I was met with a thwack that sent me twirling into the ground.

"Aksel!"

Erich rushed at me in hopes to save me from the imminent danger but the Ice Golem sensed his interference and was now raising its foot to crush him. Erich then struck his trident onto the ground and volumes of ice rushed out, piercing the cracks in the Ice Golem's foot. 

The Ice Golem was sent off balance and tripped, plentiful meaningless shards on its body breaking into pieces. Hyerin took that opportunity and slashed the legs of the golem to immobilise it. The monster kicked out and smacked Hyerin into the pile of rubble near me. 

I gritted my teeth as I watched the golem pick himself up slowly, like that impact was nothing for him. The Ice Golem Dagurt exhaled and frost began to diffuse in the atmosphere rapidly. I thrusted my palm out and the frosty air  was flung away. It seemed that if I got too close to the Ice Golem, then my Dojigiri would dissipate instantly. I would have to find a weak spot in the Ice Golem like I did with the Plyembrian Drakon. 

[Exclusive Skill, 'Capture Lv. 6' has been activated!] 

The world once again became black and white but bright red aura became explicit on different parts on the Ice Golem Dagurt's body. I rushed forward and dodged the icicles that were sent from the ice golem. I sliced through the Ice Golem's leg and as he fell onto the ground, I darted quickly and slashed another weak spot on the Ice Golem. It roared with rage and I weaved past the fist that was slammed onto the ground. My Dojigiri flickered slightly from the cold but I infused the blade with more mana and sliced the golems hand off exerting great force.

I was knocked back by the sudden roar that came from the monster, it slowly rose once again whilst ice formed on its lost body parts, reforming the stone cold limbs. 

"Kuaaaa!" 

The Ice Golem Dagurt sent icicles again but this time they were bigger and thicker. They cane hurling down at me and ice flew from the ground to block it, bit the icicles rammed through, its trajectory still aimed toward us. I was about to conjure up wind when the icicles deflected off a barrier. 

"Well that was a close one."

Hyerin strolled towards us, holding her cheek which seemed to be bleeding slightly.

"This thing isn't so powerful but it's a nuisance. How are we going to get rid of it?" 

I scratched my chin then replied. 

"I'll think of something. Just cover me."

As I was about to rush back, an extremely long golden whip lashed in the air and whipped itself around the Ice Golem's legs. The whip was yanked and the both of the golem's legs were obliterated in a second. 

I quickly looked up and saw something heavenly descending towards me. Two sweeping wings blocked the light coming from behind this being. Their slender body glided in a careful manner and was covered in shining markings. A relatively tall being with completely white eyes stood in front of me. She glanced over, and a serene energy took hold of me. 

"Greetings."

The voice was soothing and pleasant. Unlike Atticus' voice manipulation, this voice felt sincere. The valkyrie-like figure bowed her head and spoke again. 

"You must be the famous Aksel Liebert. I am Arion Eunomia of Sironde. Pleased to be at your aid."

Shortly after, a couple other people also arrived at the scene on foot. I could recognise one of them. 

"Mia?" 

"Aksel!" 

[The constellation 'Lady with the Lamp' is giddy over the reunion.]

Mia Becker looked much more fierce now. She had donned a casual but combative suit and a golden whip was held in her hand. Could she have learned this new skill from her guide, Arion? 

"I-I'm so glad you're alive! I heard about what happened in the centre of Griemore. You shouldn't have tried something so reckless! What even crossed your mind?" 

"It's hard to explain..."

Our conversation was halted by the shift in air pressure. We all quickly turned our eyes to the forgotten foe. The Ice Golem regenerated quicker now and he seemed to have become even larger than before. 

"We'll have to finish this quickly. Hyerin?" 

I glanced over at her, I thought she was confused when she stared at Mia Becker with a nasty look. 

"Who is that woman?" 

"I'll... Explain that later too..."

Mia Becker walked forward and lashed her golden whip out and brought it back. 

"Aksel. I've got this. You cover me, okay?" 

Mia's walk now turned into a sprint as she came opposite the Ice Golem. The Ice Golem was a terrifying, towering figure but Mia took no hold of that. She was fearless. I had a belated start but I quickly caught up behind Mia, ready to assist. The Ice Golem sent a wave of icicles raining down on Mia but I leapt in the air and countered it with my own wave, a wave of deadly fire. 

Mia Becker did not show a hint of delay and threw her whip forward and it became as a lasso, wrapping itself around the Ice Golem's leg. She tugged greatly and the leg came off swiftly. 

 "Aksel!" 

I already knew what I had to do. Mia and I split from our straight path and I dashed to the right. The Ice Golem Dagurt lifted its leg to stomp me but I weaved and slit its foot off clean. I then jumped and sliced the upper part of its leg off and Dagurt stumbled and fell. 

"Erich, the head!" 

Erich Caine nodded and ice instantly flew from the ground then dropped with great speed, swiftly cutting the connection between the Ice Golem's torso and head. 

Thwack! 

The Ice Golem's head rolled and the atmosphere cooled. 

"Did we get it..?" Mia whispered, cautiously. 

Null. At once, ice started to reassemble the fallen monster. Dammit, we did all we could. What could be its weak spot?

[Exclusive Skill, Capture Lv. 6 has been activated!] 

A dark red aura was the only thing I could see in this monochromic plane of existence. The dark red aura was concentrated where the chest of the Ice Golem Dagurt was. Of course, that had to be where its core was. 

I quickly advanced and jumped into the air. Mid-way, my Dojigiri became brilliant and radiant, the fiery blaze changing the atmosphere. 

I then descended and struck the torso with all my force. After a second, the whole torso was ablaze. 

[The constellation 'Victorious Lion Heart' is stunned!] 

[The constellation 'Military Sun Sage' is taken aback!]

[Several constellations are surprised by your sudden show of strength!]

[14,000 coins have been sponsored.]

In between the wildfire, I could see the flittering cold blue core. I quickly ripped it out. 

[You have acquired the nucleus of the 5th grade ice monster species, 'The Ice Golem Dagurt'!]

There was a clear difference before pulling out the nucleus and after. Dagurt's regenerative ability looked like it was slowing down by the second. After a few more seconds, the regeneration came to a halt. The atmospheric pressure slowly returned to normal as the system messages popped up. 

[You are the first to kill the disaster 'Ice Golem Dagurt'.]

[You have acquired Protection Symbol of the Rhinoceros as a basic reward.]

[You have earned 20,000 coins as compensation for killing the 6th grade ice golem.]

I decided to block out the continuous system messages that rang in my head and shoved the core into my pocket. Perhaps Giryu would know how to put that into good news. 

"Aksel! Good job!" Mia shouted from afar, waving toward me. Erich Caine could be seen beside her, his tiny fist pumping in the air. I glanced over to my side and saw Hyerin Jeon. She was isolated from the rest, who were grouped up and discussing together. Although she didn't show it, I knew she felt down. I was about to catch up with her but I was stopped by a fluffy being. 

–Good job. I didn't know if you would do well there. 

Giryu could be seen, straightening his tie.

'Are you sure it's safe for you to be popping up like this?' 

–No worries. They can't be seen by me, only you can see me. 

I sighed in relief. Things would naturally be suspicious if the dokkaebi randomly appeared to me. 

–Anyways, you could've handed this easy if you had the throne, why did you destroy it?

God, not this question again. 

'It's best if I don't explain. You wouldn't get it. By the way, can I sell these on the Dokkaebi Bag?' 

I pulled out both cores, the Plyembrian Drakon and the Ice Golem's. 

–Yes... It's possible through Dokkaebi Auction. It's also possible to ingest it and your magic power will be raised. 

I shook my head. 

'Coins. Put them both on auction for 90,000 coins.'

Giryu chuckled as if my proposal was preposterous but pulled up the dokkaebi auction. I didn't know exactly how much these cores were worth but if I had to go through that trouble they definitely weren't cheap. 

Giryu pulled up an advertisement for the constellations. Meanwhile, I whipped open the Dokkaebi Bag and proceeded to navigate through. 

[Buy it now! A starter pack for your incarnation for 2,500 coins!]

[A today only special! A 300% growth package, grow faster than others!]

[Did you accidentally pick an incarnation with a bad attribute? Don't worry! The 'Random Attribute Box' that can randomly change the attribute has been released!]

I was hit with various pop up ads that I quickly removed from my screen. This Dokkaebi Bag seemed to be mainly targeted at constellations who have incarnations, not incarnations that have none. As I scrolled, I felt broke due to how much the things costed on the market, they were extremely expensive. 

–I'm going to end the advertisement now. 

I shrugged as Giryu resumed the stream. It would be best for me to save up my coins and return to the market again to get some good items. 

I hopped down from Dagurt's melting torso and gazed at Hyerin. She was looking at me too, unamused. I tried communicating with my hands but she motioned for me to go to her right now. 

"What's up?" I spoke, approaching her. 

"Who is that woman?" 

"What woman..? Oh, Mia? She's a friend of mine, we met at the start of the scenarios."

"Oh. I see." Hyerin huffed then walked off suddenly. 

"Where are you going?" I asked, curious. 

"If you truly want to know, you'll find me kicking some otherworldly beings ass."

What was up with her? I don't remember hurting her feelings or something... Probably teenager hormones. I let her go and joined with the others. As soon as I was about to speak, Arion stepped forward. 

"Incarnation Aksel Liebert. You don't know me but you can probably guess that I am a guide. I thank you sincerely for putting a stop to that disaster, if not for you, then this whole city would've been in an ice age."

I blushed slightly due to the compliment. Though I had many from the constellations, it was different from in person. Besides, Arion was also extremely beautiful. 

"Thank you... Although I wouldn't have been able to stop it with everyone's assistance. I can't take all the credit."

"Perhaps so. It takes courage to admit that. Thus, I think it's time to properly introduce myself."

Arion's wings fluttered intensely and out shot a gust of wind as she floated in the area. 

"As you may know, my world Sironde was destroyed by these same distasters you face. A large Drakon must have hatched in this world too, that was the disaster that destroyed my people."

Arion was talking about something so sorrowful but her eyes were as calm as the eye of a storm. It must have been terrible for her to lose all of her people. 

"Don't worry."

I gazed into her blank white eyes. 

"There'll be no Drakon anymore. I've killed it."

I pulled out the Protection Symbol of the Strudilae. Arion's face structure changed instantaneously. 

"The... Protection Symbol... My people..."

Arion rapidly descended and dropped onto one knee. 

"Oh how I would have loved to eliminate that disaster myself, but the scenario prohibits it."

Her little speech nearly brought a tear to my eye. 

"With that being said, I will protect you with all my might, so that you may conquer these disasters and bring your world to peace."

After that, Arion Eunomia looked up into the sky, into the vortex that was above. The vortex seemed to have grown bigger, feistier from when I last saw it. 

"Apologies, Aksel Liebert. I had entered an absurd state, I assure you it won't happen again."

Arion began to raise herself from one knee then stared at me. 

"Where shall we head to now, saviour?" 

Saviour? That was a bit too flashy for someone like me. 

"Uh... I just remembered I needed to go somewhere quickly. Mia, can I leave her to you?" 

Mia became flustered. 

"Me?! Why me? I can't..."

Mia realised the situation. It'd be stupid to call herself incompetent, after all she had been through so much. 

"Forget what I was about to say. Sure, it's fine."

I placed the Protection Symbol of the Strudilae on her palm and clasped her hand. 

"Don't worry, you've got this."

Mia opened her mouth but it seemed all the words she wanted to say had escaped. I let go and ushered to Erich, who swiftly came to my side. 

"I'll be back! I just need to take care of a nuisance."

I and Erich Caine started to walk off. We found another guide but that wasn't enough. To complete this scenario, it was best to gather all the guides. 

[The fifth main scenario will start in 48 hours!]

It was time to visit that damned monkey once again. 

1