68. Dinner amongst friends
45 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

-Can I take it off now?-

-No! You have to wear it until we get to the diningroom!-

-Alright, Alright…-

I let out a sigh.

I had been told that having a child wouldn’t be easy, but I didn’t expect being forced to wear a bow on your head when meeting other nobles level of difficulty.

Dejected, I looked down at Silika as she proudly strode at my side with a smug smile sprawled across her face as she walked down the hall, her bunny plush dangling at her side.

Well, a bit of humiliation is a small price to pay to see her smile. Kids are truly incredible, one minute they're sick and crying, and the next they're smiling and laughing. I wish it was so simple for an adult… But well, for now, I’m perfectly content with this outcome.

-What are you smiling about?-

Silika signed as she arched her brow. Obviously my thoughts had leaked onto my face.

-I was just thinking how lucky I am to have such a cute daughter.-

She smirked.

-Well, you know what they say? Like father, like daughter.-

She said while pointing at the bow on my head and laughing.

I let out another sigh.

How and when did my daughter get such a nasty sense of humour? I hope she doesn’t grow up to be twisted… Well, being a little twisted is probably fine. Adds a bit of spice to life I guess. I can’t imagine Silika turning into a polite young lady or a wallflower. Anyway, I’d rather she kept on being a bit bratty over becoming mute on top of being deaf…

I felt a knot grow in my chest at the thought.

Could it happen? Could Silika, just stop talking one day? I ignored her earlier as a petty punishment and it made her this upset. So what will happen when no one around can use the Solomon tongue?

I glanced at her, worried about her future. If I was to die today, what would happen to her?

Lost in thoughts I barely registered that we had reached the diningroom.

“The Lord and Young Lady Ashbrook of Clotop, Countess Aremein.”

The butler announced as he opened the door for us.

Sitting at the end of the table Evelyn Aremein stood up.

“Marshall! I see your daughter is back on her feet! I hope the room was to your liking?”

Evelyne asked in her boisterous voice.

“I could not ask for a better host, Countess Aremein.”

I responded with a bow. From the corner of my eye, I was happy noticing Silika doing the same.

“AH! Stop with the ‘Countess’ this and ‘Countess’ that! That’s all I’ve heard coming from your mouth since you’ve arrived! We’re practically family now, with your cousin marrying my wife’s brother! Hell, I’ll say it! Welcome home, brother!”

I couldn’t contain a snort as I noticed my ‘cousin-in-law’ hiding her face in embarrassment, while the count consort exploded in laughter.

It’s good to see some things don’t change. Decorum was never her strong suit, but perhaps that’s what made her such a good fit for her role.

“Now! Stop, standing there like ducks and come have a seat.”

she said as she pointed to her left.

“And what’s with the bow anyway?”

She said pointing to my head. Silika chuckled raising a few eyebrows around the table.

“Ah yeah, about that…”

I took my seat and glanced at Silika who looked up from her own seat expectantly.

I let out a defeated sigh.

“I have to ask for your forgiveness regarding the commotion at our arrival. It appears that I inadvertently told my daughter that the countess of Jilbeck’s Crossing was in fact a man. Leading to her making a fool of herself. As punishment, I am making a fool of myself before you all.”

Silika nodded in a content manner as I signed the words I spoke.

-And don’t you forget it!-

She signed proudly back at me.

We’ll have to have a discussion about her way of talking eventually, but for now I guess it doesn’t hurt too much since I’m the only one who understands her around the table.

“Well your daughter certainly must take after her mother! I’ve never met an Ashbrook or Dalar who’d think up something like that.”

Isola Marys said, having finally recovered from her earlier embarrassment.

Evelyn nodded in agreement as she took a sip of wine, before her eyes lit up.

“Ah! Speaking of children with smart mouths! I’ve yet to introduce you to my niece!”

She said while looking at the girl sitting in front of Silika.

The girl was supposedly the same age as Silika, but was much sturdier and taller. If that wasn’t enough, she had fiery red hair held back with a golden one-horned Steihnner circlet making her look even taller.

Hopefully Silika won’t be too intimidated by this girl…

Her two amethyst eyes seemed to burn with determination as she stood up proudly from her seat. Arms crossed, as if on queue.

“I am Fiora Cidar! Daughter of Baroness Carolina Cidar and Frederick Armein! You may address me as Young Lady Cidar or Young Lady Fiora if you truly feel the need to be overly familiar.”

Evelyn and Isola seemed unbothered by this strange introduction while Franklin, the Count consort, was muffling laughter on the side. Apparently, the countess was not exaggerating when she said her niece had a smart mouth.

Fiora looked down at Silika then back to the point she had fixing while delivering her speech.

“I’ll allow Young Lady Ashbrook to call me Fiora, since she looks fun!”

The Count consort couldn’t hold is laughter any more and began chuckling loudly, somehow which somehow eluded the young girl’s attention, as the countess motionned for him to stay quiet as she muffled her own laughter.

Well at least it seems there’s no shortage of fun in this household.

“I welcome you both of you to Jillbeck’s Crossing! I hope you have a pleasant stay!”

The girl then gave a poorly executed curtsy and sat back down on her chair.

-What was that?-

Silika signed as she tried her best at keeping a straight face.

-The young lady introduced herself as Fiora Cidar.-

Silika turned to me trying her best to hold her smile as her brows furrowed in confusion.

-And why did she look at me as if she’s going to kill me?-

It was my turn to hold in a laugh.

-She said she wants to be friends.-

-By killing me?-

-I don’t think she mentionned anything about that.-

-It sure looked like it.-

I glanced at the aforementioned girl, who looked at us expectantly.

-I think she meant it.-

-Well I don’t want to!-

-Silika, we spoke about this! You have to play with her tomorrow! Try to be nice!-

She clicked her tongue, but turned to them and stood up.

“Siileekah.”

She tried her best to say her name followed by a curtsy, which eluded a pleased smile from Fiora.

“So the little mouse can talk after all?”

Isola asked, while the countess and count consort focused on recovering their composure.

“Not much I’m afraid. We’ve practised saying her name, but anything else is still too much.”

Isola nodded thoughtfully.

“It is true that my aunt said it was all quite difficult to regain speech at first, but she did improve over the years.”

My ears perked up at the mention.

“Right, your aunt! Your Nephew did mention something about her deafness.”

“Oh you’ve met Martin?”

I nodded.

“Silika and I ran into the Marys’ at the theatre last month. Your brother seemed to be in good health.”

“I would hope so! He’s been down in Evergreen for what… Two years? Has he mentioned when he’s to come back to his county? My poor mother has had to administer the household for too long already.”

she said with a sigh.

It seems that siblings will always complain about each other, no matter their age.

“Not a peep about that, I’m afraid.”

“Ah well, what can you do… Oh but we were speaking of my aunt!”

“Right! I was hoping you’d tell me a bit about her circumstances. Perhaps over tea?”

“Certainly. I’m sure we’ll find some time during your stay!”

“You’re not trying to hit on my wife now, are you now you old dog?”

Evelyn said jokingly, having finally composed herself.

“Wouldn’t dream of it, ‘sister’.”

“Good, Good. Now! Before we all collapse from hunger, shall we?”

The countess motioned to a maid and promptly afterwards a series of plates topped with a variety of foods were served. Silika, as she typically would, was fixated on the juicy-looking chunk of roast beef. The butler hastily came and served her a generous slice which only served to make her eyes grow large with anticipation.

I borrowed the plate for a moment which elicited a dramatically dejected face from her.

I let out a chuckle.

“It’s only going take a moment.”

I took my time to carefully cut the meat into bite size chunks. Although she had improved in using a knife, it would still cause too many screeching sounds and splashes of sauce on the table.

“She still doesn’t know how to use a knife?”

Franklin asked, surprised.

“Ah… No. The servants didn’t let her eat meat at her godparent’s estate in Highland.”

This was the lie I had worked so hard to create back in Evergreen.

One built on so many falsified records and legal legerdemain that it was almost nothing short of the truth.

But it had incurred a debt I would never be able to repay.

Milray Vilger, the man who had helped me free Silika from the Grey Order, was the only noble who knew of her true origin… Well he and the Paranam snake.

Sympathising with my endeavor, he had offered to take on the role of Silika’s godfather and thanks to him, I can now call Silika my daughter with no fear of reprisal.

We crafted a simple story: Silika was born some 7 years ago, when Lilica and I eloped. Worried about the anger of our family and the danger Silika could face if she stayed in Evergreen, we hid her away at her godfather’s estate in his home county of Grey Ridges.

The only issue was that Silika was still not aware of any of this machination.

“Ha, well I guess that makes sense, even I would have batted an eye if I didn’t know you were her father... My, with that striking pink hair…”

He thought about it for a moment.

“Speaking of, who IS her mother if it’s not too rude to ask?”

“Franklin, I don’t think…”

Evelyn tried to interrupt her husband, but I waved her off.

“No offence taken, I assume you will hear of it sooner or later.”

I looked at Silika for a moment who was now too engrossed in eating to notice anything.

“It’s Lilica Fauger.”

Evelyn choked on her wine.

“Lilica Fauger? Like THE Fauger? What possessed you to…”

“Darling, please!”

Isola interrupted the Countess, who quickly composed herself.

“My apologies, Marshall. I wasn’t thinking. We had all heard of the lady’s passing, but words hadn’t come to me that the two of you were married.”

I smiled pitifully.

“No harm done, Evelyn. Few knew. It was a closely kept secret until very recently.”

She shook her head.

“Still, I can’t forgive myself, please allow me to pass on my condolences to you and your daughter.”

Seeing eyes suddenly focused on her, Silika looked at me curiously.

-What’s going on?-

She asked with a confused look on her face.

What should I say? Well, I guess the truth can’t hurt.

-They were giving me their condolences for Lilica.-

-And they’re looking at me because…?-

-Because she’s your mother.-

She looked away for a moment, seemingly deep in thought, before turning back to me.

-I’m also sorry about her. I wish I could have met her.-

I smiled and patted her head before turning back to the table.

“She thanks you for the kind words.”

“Haaa… What a fool I’ve made of myself… My love, please help your tactless wife out of this situation.”

She dramatically begged Isola from across the table.

“Oh what will we do with you…”

This one sighed before smiling and turning to me.

“Blessing of Fei on you and your household, Marshall. I hope my Evlyn has not tainted your view of our household.”

“Not at all.”

She clasped her hands happily.

“I’m delighted to hear that! AH! Actually I was recently in Clotop…”

I turned to her, surprised.

“You were?”

“So was I.”

Fiora interjected, obviously feeling left out of the conversation, but Isola continued.

“Yes! Actually, I had the occasion to meet your father…”

My father… The meaning of our journey had almost been lost on me after everything that happened.

“How is he?”

“Well… In good spirit if nothing else. You see, word around the court has it that his son may be returning from the capital soon.”

She said in a teasing tone.

A slightly mean-spirited jab, but reasonable. Many nobles were critical of my absence from Norland. As heir to one of its most important counties, there were a lot of expectations placed on me and I hadn’t met any of them for almost 10 years.

She looked at me expectantly. I knew this sort of comment would become frequent from now on, and that most people wouldn’t be so playful about it, but it was a stark reminder of what was to come.

“Yes… He is.”

“And he better be here to stay!”

Evelyn roared in a lighthearted tone as she raised her glass.

“To your health, Marshall.”

The rest of the dinner went on without any issue. We talked about family, acquaintances and current events.

The girls eventually excused themselves under the pretext of showing Silika around. It made me nervous letting her go on her own, but FIora would be with her.

As the evening drew on, Isola and Franklin excused themselves and just as I was to do the same, Evelyn caught me off guard.

“Why don’t we have some tea in my study, Marshall.”

I felt an ice run through my vein. This was code word for ‘we need to talk’.

“Of course, lead the way.”

0