17. Baptism
212 4 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Back in the dormitory, Jade helped me put on the baptism dress she had picked out. The other kids my age were also getting prepared, seemingly having already picked out a dress before me.

The boys were mostly wearing plain robes and seemed to be uncomfortable and were avoiding eye contact. It didn’t seem to really seem to put them in a particularly bad mood, they just looked embarrassed. If I could speak, I would have teased the boy who tripped me earlier as revenge… If I could speak.

Meanwhile, the girls were putting on their cute white dresses and were excitedly walking around and speaking to each other. Some had even added handmade white flowers to decorate the skirts and sleeves.

Hare was going around the room making sure everyone was properly dressed.

As usual some of them gave me dirty looks, probably annoyed that I was, yet again, the last one getting ready.

The dress Jade had picked out for me was quite nice. The skirt had slits going up to my knee on each side which were tied with bows at each end. The neck was in a v-shape tied by a string while the sleeves were narrow around the upper arm, but opened up like a flower at the elbow, giving me a surprising amount of motion for a dress. I felt bad not having contributed to picking it now, but it had turned out well in the end.

I wonder if Hare will allow me to keep it after the baptism? I wouldn’t mind wearing it everyday with how comfortable it was. Maybe it was a second hand from a noble?

Yeah I probably would have worn something like that if I was still with my…

I shook my head. No more thinking about them. Today is about me.

“You’re looking good Silika!”

[Thanks, Darkie! I didn’t expect there to be so many cute dresses here!]

“Maybe it’s more thanks to Jade having such a good eye for clothes!”

I looked at Jade and smiled. I couldn’t put it into words, but I hope she understood my appreciation.

Once we were done Hare stood in the center of the room and announced something loudly. The now familiar feeling of dozens of feet running shook the ground as the rest of the children flooded the room.

Hare explained something to everyone as Jade encouraged me to walk forward to join the other children in their baptism robes in the center of the room. I stood at the side of the crowd hoping to not attract attention, but just as he was finishing speaking to everyone; hare looked at me.

Or more precisely at Darkie sitting in my arms. He was about to say something, but he looked toward Jade who quickly strutted to his side and whispered something in his ear. He nodded along and looked back at the crowd of kids and simply continued his speech.

Everyone looked excited and nervous.

I was still deep in thought. Although the fear of my parents had subsided, what had caused me to remember them was still weighing on my mind. Whose blessing should I ask for?

Hare finally finished his speech and we started leaving the room. Jade hurried to my side and grabbed my hand as we walked down the hallway toward the entrance threshold

It was the first time I was going outside since my arrival over a month ago. The wind blew through the hallway as the door opened. The light blinded me for a second as I adjusted to the brightness.

As we walked forward I witnessed the snow covered streets and felt the cold slip through my skirt. It was incredible, in some places the snow was piled up higher than people’s door, but another gust of wind stung my cheek.

[So that’s why Hare doesn’t let us go play outside... I hope the church isn’t too far.]

I told myself as I held Darkie to keep warm. Jade wrapped her arm around me, providing a bit of warmth.

Luckily, as it turned out, the church was only two street corners away.

It was immense. Bigger even than the Orthodox Meiriem Cathedral in Oblon. It struck me right away that it was a Septenary church. More commonly known as the church of the seven. It was easily identifiable by the seven large sculptures representing the seven major gods at its front and the countless alcoves representing other minor gods who could also be worshipped here.

Before we entered, Hare took me aside. He gave me a piece of paper with a few written words.

I tried to read the script but it looked like scribbles to me.

I could only read my own name:

 

Śĺḵ

 

He made some hand movements to tell me to give the paper and pointed at a non-existent hat. He probably meant to give it to the Archkinsmann once I’m up to him.

Jade gave me a big hug before we separated. Us children here for our baptism went in first to join hundreds of others already standing at the center of the cathedral. Some of the other orphans tried to mingle or go toward the front, but I stayed at the back.

From here, I could still see Jade and the other orphans sitting on the pew benches along the walls. I looked around until I found Jade seated beside Hare. I nervously waved at her. She smiled and waved back, but then pointed toward the front to tell me to pay attention.

It was a bit of a lost cause considering I couldn’t hear anything the priests might be saying up front, but the look Hare was giving me inches above Jade’s head was enough to tell me that I should comply. Last thing I wanted was to be scolded on the way back to the orphanage.

There were quite a few people at the front with an old bearded man at the center, speaking to the children. They looked like Archkinsmanns of different churches. I had never seen most of these kinsmanns before but I did recognise one with the usual blue robes and pink headdress hiding his face, the usual attire of Meiriem devotees. I also recognised the silver trimmed robes of Seeir.

The old man at the front wore a plain white robe with a large and complex insignia bearing many symbols. I guessed he must have been the Bishop of the Septenary church.

He spoke for a while. Eventually, the children started lining up in front of different Archkinsmanns. It must have been the time to pick…

Annoyingly, I didn’t really know who was who. Some of the insignia I recognised like Fey, Meiriem and Seeir, but the other ones were a mystery to me. Maybe I should have paid more attention during the play... Speaking of, the woman with the Fey insignia looked very similar to Hare with her short white hair and scarlet eyes.

I looked around for a while at the different priest, but before I even realised, I was the last one standing in the center.

I panicked, holding on tightly to Darkie.

[Who should I pick? Who should I pick?!]

I asked, looking deeply into his golden button eyes.

He remained silent, probably at a loss as well. I looked up again, my eyes darting from one person to the other.

Meiriem was out of the question. Seeir as well. Maybe Fey...?

But then, my eyes settled on someone. Someone with dark hair and golden eyes.

I looked down at Darkie again for a moment. Remembering Goldie’s kind smile and sad eyes.

I took a deep breath and started walking.

In front of the kinsmann, not a single child stood. He wore a dark robe with beautiful golden flowers trimmed on its sleeve and hem. He wore no headdress on his short black hair. On his face there was no smile. Only a cynic neutral expression, the type one would wear when bored at a ball.

He did not react when I stood in front of him. Actually, he didn’t even notice me. His eyes were glazing over the crowd and the other kinsmanns. I waited patiently for a while, but after a minute of just waiting and staring at him, I tried to get his attention. I grabbed the skirt of his robe and lightly pulled on it.

It took a few tries but eventually looked down at me. He took a quick glance down at me and lightly mumbled something as he pointed in the direction of the Meiriem kinsmann.

I shook my head, but he was already looking away. I yanked on his robe harder to try and get his attention.

He looked down at me properly this time. He was about to repeat himself, but his eyes froze on Darkie in my hands. He then looked straight into my eyes. Unblinking. His face showed no emotions.

He bent his knee slightly and extended his hand toward Darkie.

I was afraid for a moment. What is he going to do with her? The Meiriem archkinsmann would have shred her to pieces…. But this kinsmann looked like Darkie and Goldie. Maybe I could trust him?

by Apririnn

I allowed him to take Darkie. He held it with both his hands and looked closely at the plush. A strange smirk appeared on his face, but disappeared just as quickly. He gave him back to me and asked me a question that I couldn’t hear.

I suddenly remembered the piece of paper Hare had given me. Instead of an answer, I handed the message with my name on to the black-haired kinsman who quickly read over it. He nodded and dug something out of his pocket.

He opened his mouth and signalled me to do the same. I opened up and he delicately put a leaf-like thing on my tongue. He grabbed my hands and then made the motion to close my mouth.

As soon as I closed my lips, I felt a cold feeling emanating from the leaf thing. I reflexively blinked when I felt something pop on my tongue.

When I reopened my eyes darkness had enveloped the world. Only faraway lights could be seen, shining in different colours. Like a rainbow coloured night sky.

“Well well, it’s not everyday I receive the visit of a pretty rose!”

I heard a feminine and languorous voice say.

Wait...

I heard..?

Has she really heard right...? Or heard at all?

Please leave a review and let me know how I'm doing!

The guest artist this chapter is Apririnn! Here are their Twitter

| discord | patreon |

 

 

8