52. Message in an echo (Part 1)
114 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I felt a shiver run down my spine as the man extended his hand toward the wine cup in front of him.

I was sitting right next to him. I had tried sitting as far as possible, but it had only served to earn me some intense looks until I was almost forced to sit next to him.

I sneaked a glance in his direction. Luckiily, it seemed like his attention had momentarily switched to the plate in front of him. I was able to breath for a moment.

His presence was overwhelming, let alone his attention. The man was bigger than anyone I had ever met before. At first Lionheart had been the tallest person I had ever met, but not only did this man easily dwarf him, he was also twice his width. His shoulders could easily sit a family of four, yet he didn’t look fat. He was built like an ox and the scar that traced around his brow down to his cheek told the tale of hard fought battles.

A sudden burst of curiosity wanted to ask him about it. 

About the battles, the knights, their swords and their mighty steeds… But then I would need to get his attention and the mere idea was making my palm sweaty.

I looked down at my plate, probably as per this man’s request, we had been served large steaks with a side of beans and sprouts. Although I had taken a liking to meat, I always struggled with steak. Too tough and difficult to chew. I picked up the oversized knife at the side of the plate and pressing my hardest, I tried to saw through the thick piece of brown meat with little success. I only managed to make it slide up and down my plate. I tried to stabilise my grip by using my fork, but with no success.

Suddenly, the plate was snatched away from me. In a panic, I tried to take a hold of it, but it was already out of reach, the man had taken it away from me.

He immediately brought down his knife and fork to it. Was he going to eat my food?! Just like that? But his plate wasn’t even finished…

To my surprise, he did not eat the piece he cut into. Instead, he cut another. And another. He continued cutting the steak in long and smooth motion until there was only a series of neat square pieces left on the plate. He then slid it back to me while staring intently.

Had he… Cut it for me?

Why? Why didn’t he just ask a maid or at least let Mili be here and do it for me? For that matter, we couldn’t even speak without either her or Stash present… He hadn’t even allowed any servant to stay in the room any longer than the time necessary to place our food on the table.

Hesitantly, I took a bite from my plate, and was pleasantly surprised with how easy to chew the pieces were. Usually, even when cut into slices I would struggle to chew on these type of steaks. On some unfortunate occasion, I had even had to spit out especially difficult pieces that just wouldn’t go down, but none of that this time. I looked up curious and watched him methodically cut his own food and eat.

Seeing his hands work, if I didn’t know any better, I would believe he’s a cook or perhaps what they call a ‘butcher’. A meat cook of sort from what Jade had explained to me once. 

Looking at him now, he really gave off that sort of aura. Cooks were often big and fat, but on the other hand, the man was muscular, and tougher. Like meat.

Ok, I’ll call him Cook… Uncle Cook. Since, like Lionheart explained, he’s my family as well now.

-Thanks, Uncle Cook.-

I signed.

The man must have noticed my hands from the corner of his eye because he almost immediately choked on his food while turning toward me with a strange expression. He continued coughing for several minutes and I started worrying whether he was going to be alright or not, but after downing a few glasses of red liquid he seemed to regain his composure.

He cleared his throat once more before turning his body toward me and doing a spinning motion with his fingers while pointing at my hands.

Did he want me to repeat?

-Thank you, Uncle Cook.-

I signed while tilting my head, not sure if that’s what it meant.

His eyes seemed to grow wide before his cheeks raised themselves almost imperceptibly so.

He tried to say something but seemingly caught himself.

-Uncle.-

He signed a singular word before touching his chest.

As though claiming the name for himself.

I nodded affirmatively.

-Yes, uncle.-

He nodded, before pointing to me.

Uh? What did that mean?

-Me?-

I asked to which he nodded.

Did he perhaps want me to introduce myself?

-I’m Sil– -

He interrupted me by raising his hand. He shook his head and then pointed at his mouth while speaking.

Did he…

-But I can’t talk…-

I protested, but he didn’t budge and looked at me expectantly. Still intimidated by him, I didn’t try to protest anymore.

[S– Silika. I’m S–Silika.]

I felt shy. I hadn’t really tried to talk to someone using my voice seriously in a long time. 

I did sometimes talk to Darkie, but it was different, he always understood me even if I didn’t finish my sentences.

The man nodded but then motioned for me to say it again.

[Silika.]

He pointed at his mouth and seemed to be slowly repeating my name while emphasizing every syllable.

I frowned confused and simply said my name again but he shook his head.

He once more began repeating my name but froze on his bare teeth.

[Sili…]

He stopped me again. He insistently only traced the first syllable on his lips.

[Si.]

I tried saying, he nodded but again pointed his closed teeth.

[Si!]

I repeated again.

His eyes narrowed for a second before pointing at his face again. He opened his mouth wide and pointed at his curled tongues pressing against his teeth. He then closed his mouth and made the motion of him saying it again.

[Sss–i!]

I tried my best to mimic the strange tongue position he had done and repeated the line. 

It had felt awkward, but he nodded approvingly. After that, he had me repeat it several times.

We continued practising my name like that for a long while. So long that our meal was finished and replaced by tea and eventually snacks.

[Ssi– Leeee– kah!]

I declared after a long time.

The man stood from his seat, surprised, I sat back, not sure what was going on. Wordlessly, he walked up to me and picked me up from under the armpits. He raised me so high I could almost touch the ceiling. As he stared at me intently, something strange appeared on his face. Was that… A smile?

I saw his lips draw my name once more! Excited I repeated after him.

[Sii–leee–kah!]

I felt myself move and before I could understand what was going on, I noticed I was flying through the air.

Wait what?! Oh, Scorn! Oh, Scorn! I’m gonna fall!

Just as I started feeling myself fall back down toward the ground, I was caught. 

Still disoriented and not sure what just happened, I looked toward my uncle who was now once again holding me at the end of his thick arms. I looked at his smiling face dumbly and I felt a laugh escape my lips. I don’t know what happened or why he did it, but it was fun! 

He nodded as if to ask me permission for something. Still not sure, but somehow excited, I nodded. I saw him slowly lowering me before launching me into the air. I saw him grow smaller and then bigger again. When he caught me again, I couldn’t stop laughing and he threw up and down over and over again. 

Somehow, this was so much fun!

After a while he stopped throwing me into the air and squeezed me so hard I thought my head would pop. As he did, he suddenly stiffened, he slowly lowered me down and once more sat me on the seat. The excitement of it all finally caught up to me, and my laughter slowly receded as I caught my breath. I turned around toward where uncle was staring and was surprised to find dad with an amused look on his face.

[Dad!]

I exclaimed before getting up from my seat and running toward him, my earlier exhaustion now forgotten.

I threw myself in his arms as he held me up.

As I held unto his neck, he freed his hand while supporting me with his forearm.

-Having fun with your uncle?-

He signed before shifting his position to hold me properly again.

I let go of his neck and signed excitedly.

-Yeah! He can throw me really high in the sky!-

I could feel a chuckle coming from his throat.

-Can he now? What else did you two do?-

He asked as he walked toward where we had been sitting, pulled himself a chair and sat me on his knees.

-He helped me say my name!-

-Your name?-

I nodded excitedly.

[Siileekah!]

I declared proudly.

I had expected Lionheart to look impressed, but instead, he froze up. He looked behind me at Uncle Cook, then back at me.

-Can you say it again?-

I nodded enthusiastically.

[Siileekah.]

He smiled and hugged me tightly. I could feel him stroke and kiss my hair as he held me. I did think that would make him happy, but not that much.

-Do you mind doing something for me?-

He asked as he released me.

I tilted my head, curious.

-Sure, what is it?-

-let's go upstairs, I’ll show you.-

He said a few words to Uncle Cook before standing up, still carrying me in his arms, and heading out the dining room where this one remained.

We went all the way up to Lionheart’s office. He sat me down on the sofa while he took something large wrapped in hides from a cupboard.

He placed it down on his desk and slowly removed the packaging revealing a large ceramic bird, but it felt vaguely familiar.

-It looks like Sparrow!-

Lionheart smiled.

-That’s right, this is also a seeking bird, but a little different from your toy.-

He said before finishing to remove the different ropes holding the seeking bird in place.

-Different how?-

I asked, curious.

-Well, for one, it’s much bigger and sturdier. As you can see, its frame is coated in Nvŕs enamel which makes it completely impervious to weather.-

-Nv– -

I tried to sign back to him. Unfamiliar with the name.

He nodded.

-Nvŕs, the god of wi… of fermentation. His name is pronounced a bit like ‘never is’. Nevaris is the god that gave us things like cheese, yoghurt, pickles… Anything that needs to be aged but not go bad. Nevaris enamel was one of his miracles which granted a material that facilitated fermentation.-

-Nevaris…Fermentation… Ok.-

I signed back to confirm I was listening.

I was still vague on the concept of fermentation, but I wasn’t really interested anyway.

-So as I was saying, this seeking bird is bigger and stronger, but it’s also smarter. It can travel long distances and can even change its destination if the recipient isn’t home. But its most impressive and valuable feature is that this little guy here…-

He stopped signing to turn it toward me.

-...Can repeat entire sentences.-

I looked at him confused.

-Your bird can talk? Sparrow never talks to me.-

Lionheart chuckled a bit awkwardly before explaining.

-Well actually, most seeking birds can talk… A little bit at least. Even Sparrow can repeat one word back to people…-

-Wait, so Sparrow CAN talk?!-

Lionheart nodded.

-Absolutely. He always talks when you tell him something and make him fly. You just… Well, you couldn’t hear him, so I didn’t tell you. I’m sorry.-

He explained apologetically.

-It’s okay.-

I answered.

Suddenly I felt a bit bad. I had not played much with Sparrow since, as opposed to Darkie and other toys, I could never imagine it do anything else, but make bird noises… I’m sorry Sparrow, I’ll talk lots to you from now on!

-...But on to our friend here! This seeking bird doesn’t only repeat a single word, it will repeat whole sentences and letters worth of words. Not only that, but it will sound just like the person saying it!-

From his face, I guess this is something very exciting, but being used to not hearing anything at all, I didn’t feel any way in particular about this revelation. I still smiled since he seemed happy, but I wasn’t really sure why he was telling me all this.

He turned to the seeking bird and slowly traced his hand along the smooth enamel wings.

-I want to send a message to my father… Your grand-father. I want to tell him we’ll be by his side soon.-

After signing this, his demeanour changed. 

As though something heavy had just been placed on his shoulders, he reminded me of the day I met him. Sad, tired, broken. I had almost allowed myself to forget the reason why we were going to Norland in the first place… Here I was worried about leaving Evergreen while Lionheart’s father was dying. How would I feel if I knew he was about to die? What sort of anguish would I feel in his place? How selfish.

I shook myself from my torpor before I got anymore caught up in my own thoughts and focused on dad. 

-So what do you want to say in your message?-

I asked him, which seem to temporarily distract him from his worries long enough for him to also focus his attention.

-Nothing much really. It has been so much time since I last wrote to him. Let alone speak, but I figured it would make him feel happy to hear from me in case… Well, I just thought it might make him feel better. Even if just a little bit.-

He smiled and came to pick me up and sat me at his desk chair.

Hi everyone! Thank you for reading my quiet life!

If you're enjoying the story, remember to follow and leave a rating ^^

So busy these days, but I'm really glad I'm still able to push new chapters out. Between work (midyear rush) and other projects (Other books as well as extra MQL stuff), I really am a bit swamped atm @_@ I should be back to my usual self soon though! I also have a much better job than two months ago so I'm a much happier person overall ^^

Take care and see you next week!

| discord | patreon |

3