60. …and clowns
82 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Before I could ask Pearl what he had meant by preparing, they had hurriedly left the inn with me in tow, much to the chagrin of my stomach which growled once more.

We didn’t walk very far, as just outside the inn, I could see the rest of the band doing something in the middle of the village center. Squirrel released my hand and let me know to wait there, before joining the others who appeared to be stringing something together. 

A curious crowd slowly built around the group and, to my surprise, they had somehow turned the tents from last night into a makeshift stage.

I was a bit at a loss for a moment as I noticed the townfolks excitedly gathering around. 

Did I miss something? What’s going on? 

Then, in a puff of smoke, the woman with the nose bandage appeared in the centre of the stage followed by Squirrel who came in walking on her hands, half- baldie whose hair was now braided into a long rope, the tattooed man being himself, the twins now disguised in clowns and finally Pearl whose head was mysteriously missing. A moment later something flew in and Squirrel jumped on top of it.

I was surprised to recognise Pearl’s head. Squirrel was precariously balancing on top of it as it slowly rose up in the air before returning to where i belonged on top of Pearl’s shoulders. She did a pirouette and landed right behind him.

The crowd immediately started clapping excitedly.

It finally clicked in my mind. My newfound companions didn’t look strange for no reason, they must have been some kind of travelling circus as well!

That must be why Pearl was in such a hurry when talking to the innkeeper! The other must have needed help to prepare.

Before long the show went at full pace.

 Although it was very impressive at first to see my new friends do all kinds of acrobatics, I started feeling antsy just standing there and adults kept bumping into me rudely as they tried to get a better look of the stage… And I was still very hungry. 

[Let’s go for a walk.]

I mumbled as I took out Darkie from my coat’s inner pocket.

“Sounds fun!”

He said in his little bunny voice.

I  started walking away from the town square, curious about what there was to see around here.

As I left the main square and headed down the small beaten path to the row of houses that must have normally housed the people currently in the square, I had a strange feeling develop in my guts.

It was my first time in a small town. 

It felt odd somehow. 

[Why do you think that is?]

“Maybe it’s something like curiosity?”

It’s true that I was familiar with very populated places with tightly packed buildings and also used to very spacious estates. Yet it was my first time seeing something right in between. It gave me this strange feeling. As though something was wrong even if it wasn’t.

It made me want to see more

As I was distractedly pondering, three kids emerged from the side of a house and bumped into me, making Darkie go flying and nearly sending me to do the same if it hadn’t been for a boy catching me by the arm at the last moment.

He pulled me back to my feet and I was surprised to find a group of three children around my age, two boys and one girl

The girl, who I guess had been the one to bump into me, profusely apologised while the younger boy went and picked up Darkie for me.

“I’m okay, Silika! Don’t worry!”

Confused but glad neither me or Darkie were hurt, I simply smiled and waved to show that I forgave her.

We all then looked at each other awkwardly. 

I guess they expected me to say something, but I didn’t even know what that could be… Let alone the possibility that they would actually understand what I would say in the first place.

The younger of the two boys then pointed at the cloth ball the girl was holding and then at me while saying something.

Was he inviting me to play? I mean that’s not much of a doll when compared to Darkie, but it’s been a long time since I’ve played with other kids like this. Even at the orphanage, it was pretty rare to play with anyone else but Jade… The offer was tempting enough, so I nodded happily.

The girl then handed me the cloth ball and stared at me expectantly.

I’m not sure what they were expecting of me, so I simply stood there confused until one of the boys, catching on took the ball from me and started running. The other immediately started running after him.

Oh! We’re not playing dolls! That’s how it’s played!

I suddenly started feeling excited. I hadn’t played a game involving running in a lifetime.

I tucked Darkie back into my pocket and joined them after the boy.

We played for a while, I even got to hold the ball for a bit. I wasn’t that fast, not as much as I was before anyway, but just the thrill to be playing like this again made it worth it.

In the middle of a game where the youngest boy was running away, the two boys suddenly stopped in their tracks and turned to a specific direction. 

I stopped as well, but didn’t see anything in that direction, so I turned back to them. The boys then said something to me and the girl while waving at us to follow them. 

Curious, I happily obliged.

We followed the two boys across the narrow street through the open door of a small wooden house. We crossed the threshold into a cramped livingroom where a woman, who I assume was the two boys’ mother from the similar colour of their red hair, turned to us and looked surprised at my presence. 

She greeted the girl at my side as though they were familiar with each other before asking something to the older boy while turning to me. She looked surprised, but generally unbothered by what the boys told her. 

She smiled at me and asked me something.

There were very few things she could be asking me right now, so I decided to say the only thing I knew how to.

[Siileekah!]

I said proudly and, as luck would have it, she seemed satisfied with my answer.

The rest of the kids had already gathered around the table and she pointed at me to do the same.

Once seated, I smelled a sweet aroma. 

The thing I’d been waiting for since we arrive in town! No, maybe ever since I woke up! It was here!

The woman smiled as she slid a bowl of warm gruel in front of each of us. I could barely contain myself before starting to gulp down the content much to the amusement of the other kids around the table.

The woman, seeing my enthusiasm and empty bowl seemingly offered me a second serving which I didn’t hesitate to nod vehemently for.

It was only after downing my third bowl that I finally felt properly full.

I was busying myself with taking in the pleasant atmosphere of the household when the attention shifted toward the door. 

Curious, I turned around and was surprised to find the nose-bandaged woman looking panicked through the doorway. 

Her expression grew wide with relief when she locked eyes with me. 

She came and grabbed me by the hand, basically pulling me off my seat. Not sure how else to react I simply waved goodbye to the other baffled kids and the kind woman as the nose-bandage woman bowed apologetically and left the house.

I was a bit confused, but I guess that she had been worried about me for some reason. Hopefully, nothing bad happened during their performance… Oh, maybe she was mad I didn’t watch it all the way through?

We quickly walked through the town back toward the main place where I could still see the rough husk of the makeshift stage where Pearl was nervously pacing. He turned around at our approach and quickly walked our way. The bandaged woman placed me in front of her and Pearl crouched down to my height.

-You can’t go off on your own like that! Do you know how worried we all were?-

He signed hastily.

He looked really angry and I felt myself tearing up a little bit. Not because he was scary, but because somehow I didn’t want to disappoint him. I didn’t really understand what it was that made him so mad, but I felt guilty.

He finished listening to something the bandaged woman was telling him and let out a sigh.

-Look you can’t just go into people’s home…-

-I was hungry!-

I silently interrupted him, but since he couldn’t see he continued.

-..It’s impolite and you could get in trouble. I don’t know why you did it, but it’s dangerous for a little girl like you to go on your own. What if they were bad people? What if they kidnapped you?-

I felt my blood grow cold.

Kidnapped? 

I had been kidnapped once before. 

It was scary and painful. People always got hurt. I don’t like thing that hurt. It wasn’t something I wanted to experience again.

I could feel my hadn shaking as he continued to silently scold me with his hand. I felt tears dropping from my cheeks. 

I felt stupid. 

How could I be so careless? Nothing had happened, but what if it did? 

Dad isn’t here right now, if I got kidnapped I could be gone for good this time… Wait…Where is dad? 

Why hasn’t he found me yet? Did he… Abandon me? No no no no that can’t be right! Dad said that he loves me and that I’m his family now. I must just be hard to find right now. He wouldn’t give up on me…Right?

Pearl continued scolding me even when my face was stained with tears. It was only when Squirrel finally came back to the town centre that he stopped when she started scolding him back. 

She picked me up in her arms and held me tight as I continued to cry. Worried and confused that perhaps this was how I had lost my dad.

Hey folks!

I'm feeling pumped these days (well in spirits anyway, my brain is a bit mushy) and I hope you're feeling the same!

The future chapters are progressing well, but I'm also working on a full story review!

Yup, I'm thinking of bringing the editing axe to it and, hopefully, make it a more enjoyable experience overall! (reducing superfluous chapter / paragraphs, while adding some improved context).

For that, I'm also looking to some direct reader (golden because you guys are simply the best) feedback and eventually hiring an editor (Red because they will make me cry tears of blood) to iron out the creases.

Thank you Patreon subscribers, your monetary sacrifice will not be in vein!

If you're interested in having a finger in that pie or just have some hot takes on some of my weaker chapters (or just want to hang out), feel free to hop on to my Discord.

ANYWAY

As always, thank you for reading My Quiet Life! If you have the time to leave a rating or a follow, those are always super appreciated!

| discord | patreon |

2