Chapter 10: Taking Chances
57 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On the last floor of the building where The Garden is located, the 60th floor, a room called High Garden can be found.

After a person informs this destination at this building entry and reach this floor through an elevator, a large space can be seen.

Walls covered with red velvet wallpaper, and great showcases with antiques that may worth more zeroes than I can count.

Great shelves filled with all the imaginable types of books, in a great amount.

I can see only 3 desks in this place, in the middle of this sea of shelves and showcases. Two on the sides and one in the center. All of then have things on it, paperwork, computers with multi-screens, and a few books.

Left, Mr. Boris is typing something continuously, only looking at the screen.

Right, things that seem like ledgers, notepads, data books... but no one is there.

In the middle, there's a man. He has long blonde hair and blue eyes. Wearing a gray suit, he seems like the guy who appears in wet dreams of women, and the person who a man fantasizes about being: the pinnacle of good looking and style, a tall body with the precise amount of toning in every inch.

He's looking at me with a surprised face, but also extremely happy, as if he was an animal looking for prey; and his expression tells that he just found one.

—"I heard you're looking for me." I say in a high tone voice to the people in this room.

That's the plan I made with Mr. Woods yesterday; face this guy before he has the time to plan and pursue me. Streak while the fire is hot.

—"Oh boy... You wasted all the fun." He says, with a smile that not match his face.

—"I wanna finish this the sooner I can, I wanna talk with her again." I say with a grin on my face.

That's the second part of the plan. Rile him up, to make his emotions take his reason.

His face suddenly turns red. The anger and hatred is rising on him, but he's trying to hide. 

Something was on my mind when I planned and was on my way here.

Why he can't approach her? She was working as a prostitute, so he could easily request her job.

Why he was threatening other people? Because he can't do otherwise. Probably a bet, but Mr. Woods also don't know. I must act with the information I have available.

Also, another thing is pestering me. Why he is so obsessed? If we're talking about girls, he can easily find a girl to sleep with. Hire someone, go to a bar... Diana has a different value, that makes him mad. So I must make my move using this knowledge.

—"Unfortunately, I can't deal with this right now. Someone heard about you, and now we got spectators. I don't know how, but you got some screen time between a few sections of the Rings. We'll duel in a different place, today afternoon. Take the address with Boris, and you can leave."

SHIT! My plans are ruined! Back to square one.

This is strange... What happened?

But this is also not bad. I can talk with Dean, and make better plans, I just hope this won't spoil my chances.

—"Can I hear who has such expectations on me?"

—"Apparently, the King of Greed. Now he wants formality for our duel since it can worth my title. I told him I would end this quickly, but he ignored me. Now you'll live a few more hours." He says with an annoyed expression.

Another thing that I found confusing. Normally, someone lower challenges the higher, so if the situation is reversed surely has something odd. That's also the case in this group.

I go towards Mr. Boris and he gives me a paper. The place is "Redwater Shooting Range", it's a little close to our school.

I look at his face, and he has the same resolute expression that he had the last time I saw him. But now, I can almost feel concern. He certainly saw this scene more times then I can imagine, so I need to show a different result.

I can't fail. My heart and mind are shouting to give up, but that's not something I can do.

I must keep hitting him to make this situation favorable to me.

—"Mr. Boris, sorry my rudeness, but you can tell me a way to meet with Diana?"

For a few seconds, his expression makes a tiny change. As if he was happy, or maybe amused.

—"She's working at the Golden Valley school now."

Oh, the same school that Jenny goes to. Maybe she's a teacher now?

No, focus! Duel and challenge first!

—"Oi, fucker. Better watch out." The King says to me.

This guy has serious issues. One last hit.

—"Ah... If you wanna know, Francis Cayden was the one that bought Diana time for me. If wasn't for him, I wouldn't touch her."

His face is red, but he's in silence. I don't know if he took the bait, but at least I know I already distracted him a little.

—"If you excuse me, I'm leaving now. Until another time."

I say, but none of them answer me.

Going down on the elevator, between a few floors, two girls come in when the elevator stopped.

They're probably in their 30's, and the two start looking at me when the door closed.

—"... You are..." said one with pink hair, and red eyes.

—"Diana's customer from yesterday!" completes the other, which has white hair and a tanned body.

I got some attention that day, huh...

—"Ah... Yes." I answer half-laughing.

—"Hmm... Sorry, she's not here anymore. But me and Vera can take her place, you only need to ask for us in the counter, okay sweetie? I'm Agnes." says the one with pink hair, with a seductive pose and a smile on her face.

Remember... She was the cheapest girl... Don't be blinded, I can't afford the cost.

—"Ah, sorry. I came to deal with problems from yesterday."

They both make a sad face, and Vera says to me.

—"That again... Someday we'll run out of customers. Well, if you survive, we're waiting." She says while giving a wink, trying to set a better mood.

This makes me think, how this place has people that can say such words so easily? How many times this scene was repeated?

—"Thank you, I'll keep the offer in mind." I say, trying to follow the lines.

After saying goodbye to the two, I go to the entry hall of this place.

I call a cab, and while I'm on my way home, I call Dean.

—"Hey, it's Vincent. I wanna talk."

—"Yo, sure. I'll wait at your home."

I tell him, and turn off the call.

After a few hours, I see Dean waiting as soon as I enter my door house. He's waiting on the sofa together with Alice.

—"Hi, I'll start talking right away." I said while closing the door.

They both nod, and I tell them about what I discovered recently, the Rings, the system and my plan.


 

With a troubled face, they're looking at me as if reproaching my choices.

—"I said I'll help you but... This is insane, man." Dean says to me while leaning one hand in the arm of the sofa, with the hand on his chin.

—"It's... kinda hard to believe." Alice supplements him.

I can't blame them. If wasn't for the events of yesterday, I would be in the same position. A person tells you that the life you've been living it's just the surface of an entirely different reality as if everything that you lived until now is a lie. How can a person understand this in one go?

—"I understand. But I wanna do this for Lisa too. If you can't believe, let's go to that place, to see what I'm saying."

They both look at me, and a smile appears on their faces.

—"Fine. I can feel the resolve, that's all I need. Ah, now that you said, we met a girl on the day before yesterday. It seems that her sister is related to that brothel, and it was the woman that... took care of you that day. This girl said Francis probably is aiming for your family. Better watch out." Dean tells me, keeping the flow of this conversation.

So... Diana has a sister? I've been hearing about her life only in crumbled pieces. I'll think that I should ask her... But she was a little reluctant to say...

—"A girl... Okay... I'll warn uncle." I answer him.

I forgot about Francis, huh. He probably must be planning something too. 

Think. Me and Dean are targets, and now my family too. I can't deal with him in normal ways, I have to outsmart him. With the power of the Rings, something can be done. But what can I do? I already put him on the story with the King, but I can't forget to watch him.

After we made our preparations and I talked with my uncle, we take our leaves.

On our way to the place, I make a call to Lisa.

—"Where are you?"

—"I'm at home... Father said he'll meet you soon. Are you two doing something?" She asks, with a little worried tone.

—"Ah... It's something about our problem. We'll have a... meeting to deal with this, so just wait at home." I tell, trying to calm her.

—"Vince... Don't leave me out of those things... Tell me if something bad is happening. I love you..." She replies.

...

This hurts me... I'm lying to her. Piling bad decisions after another, it'll just crumble anytime. But for her sake, I'll do this without her.

—"Don't worry. Save those words, I wanna hear later. Bye." I say to her.

—"...Bye." She answers in a low tone voice.

Ending the call, I look at Dean and Alice, and the two are making a troubled face. I know what they are thinking. This is bad.

But her father asked me to don't tell her. This was the request of a caring father, those words touched me. Even this being a bad choice...

Reaching the shooting range I go to the entry door. The place was closed but after I ring the bell a woman comes to guide us.

Going outdoors, I see some people chatting between themselves. A few are seated on chairs, close to a table with snacks and beverages. There are a few boxes close to the table but I can't see what is inside.

The field is vast, all covered with synthetic grass. I can't tell exactly but it feels like it's something like 2 kilometers of field.

This place doesn't have anyone practicing. Empty spots and no targets. The weather sounds calm, with a few clouds, but I still can feel the sun of this summer day. 

I spot the King again. He's using the same clothes that earlier.

When he sees me, a surprised expression appears in his face.

—"What? You came? Are you stupid or mad? Why didn't you run away?"

—"I already told you. By the way, I'm Vincent." I say, trying to keep my attitude from before.

—"...Alexander Vane, not that you'll live to remember. And I already know you, Vincent Morris. Don't cry when you lose." He answers in an annoyed tone, with an almost angry face.

Looking at the spectators, I hardly see any person below the 40's. They're wearing fancy clothes, also shining and expensive jewelry while talking in a carefree mood. Feels like it's something so common, that they almost don't give a shit to this.

Between them, a tall man it's on the center, seated in one of the chairs with his legs crossed. He's wearing a grey fedora, that matches his suit of the same color. His hair is blonde, but some strands are white. His eyes are blue and are looking at me with an interested expression.

Who's this guy? He seems important.

When I was questioning myself about it, he got up and started talking.

—"Everyone's here, now we can proceed. As many of you know, it's a tradition that in challenges involving Kings we have a few witnesses to avoid further problems. Even if the result is always the same." He says while he and the people on the surrounds start laughing.

... Those people... They're looking down at me. But I can't let this affect me. Otherwise, I'll only lower my chances now.

He gets closer and puts a hand on my shoulder.

—"Kid... I must congratulate you for come. You have some guts, I think you can give us some entertainment. You already learned how this works?"

I nod to him in silence, but Alexander cuts his talk.

—"C'mon Blake. You already gave me all the trouble. I want to ends this soon." He says, and start ordering one of the workers to get a table.

This guy... Is the King of Greed? Are you serious? Why did this guy know about this challenge? This doesn't make sense. I thought I could make a surprise...

He starts laughing and answers him.

—"Haha, that's your problem, Lust. You should taste things slowly, like wine. Sloth can teach you."

He ignores Blake and sits in one of the sides of a small wooden table that has two chairs, face to face.

I sit on the other chair with Dean on my side, that makes Alexander nods as if understanding, while Greed starts his speech.

—"Okay. The standard rules are the same, any deals, 5 rounds, if you cheat and are caught you lose. Further bets can change this. I'll use this 20 faced dice, the one who gets closer wins, has an absolute bet and picks the method of the first round. Pick any number."

Mr. Woods already explained to me. The loser of the previous round is at a disadvantage. he can't refuse the bet of the winner.

—"11." He says, swiftly.

Hmm... I should choose 10 or 12... I think that I have more chances with 10.

—"10." I tell to Mr. Blake.

He takes a cup, puts the dice in and rolls, lifting the cup after to reveal the result.

...

—"The result is 11, Alexander chooses." Greed answers.

Shit. This is bad, very bad... Don't panic. I can manage this.

He starts grinning and says to me.

—"I want your life... But I'll let you try to fight for it. The game is Blackjack."

0