Chapter 2: Day at Work
37 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Finishing her classes for the day, Alexis heads out on her bike. Passing all the students walking. 'I wonder what job site they'll have us working on today' she ponders as she arrives at the job center to Que up for a job.

At the job center, you register, and get a job that suits you to go do around the city. After registering, she sits down and waits for her number to be called. 'Looks like I got number 3435 today, hopefully the waits not to long, I put 3 hours down for work time, but if it takes too long, I'll end up late for dinner.'

A lady with tied back black hair wearing a business suit comes out after a dozen minutes or so, and calls out "If I call your number, go to the red van marked 17 outside, you'll be working at the post office sorting boxes today, worker 3434, 3435, 3438, 3439, and 3440." "If I call your number..." she continues listing off more jobs, as Alexis makes her way to the van outside.

Getting into the van, there's already three others in there, two men and one other woman. One of the men looks up. "OH, quite the young-ling huh, sure your capable to lift some boxes Missy?" He says while raising an eyebrow.

Staring at the man who spoke she says "Sure this kinda works easy, why you feeling to old to handle it, old man?"

"Heh as if I'd believe that" the man says.

Hearing the two starting to argue, the second man turns and whispers to the other "Hey man who cares we just gotta go make money, why you worrying about other people? Lets just get this done, then have a good time at the club tonight, don't go starting trouble and ruin the job opportunity. Besides maybe shes stronger than she looks, they say 20% of the world population practices blood magic these days, even if she's only a tier one blood mage, she'd easily be able to do it."

"pttth, whatever" The man slouches down, commenting "Darned mages, taking all the good jobs these days, and now they even wanna compete for the low income ones" Then he glares at her, but says nothing more.

Soon a skinny boy who looked at most twelve shows up at the van and steps in as well.

"Sheesh not another one" The man comments.

The boy looks at him, but then sits down, and starts messing with his phone. Surprise is even seen on Alexi's face when she sees the kid. 'Oh this boy looks quite young, reminds me a little bit of myself when I first started, though I was only eight at the time, I'd just recently started practicing blood magic to, the labor jobs weren't easy until I'd trained my blood magic upto tier I. Now that I'm already at tier II, all these lower paying labor jobs are a cake walk, after all even mom and dad were only at tier II back when they used to be beast hunters.'

After a few minutes of silence a group came out of the buildings side door, one of woman in the group came to there vans driver door. Unlocking it, they popped their head in and looked around. "Oh, hey Alexis, looks like you scored mail sorting today huh, everyone if you need help once you get to the site, just ask Alexis, she's done this job plenty of times" she says as she looks at everyone, and centers her sight on the young boy. "Especially you, so young"

Boy, "uh huh"

The lady starts the car, and drives the group of workers to the Hondo Fairy mail facility. "OK this is the spot, just go report in at the front office on the left when you go in."

As everyone started getting out of the van, a loud blaring alarm sound started sounding off. [Brrrrrrrr Brrrrrrr Brrrrrr] ["Warning magical beast Lightning Hawk spotted to the east of the city, all citizens should take shelter immediately"] As the alarm is going off, suddenly a loud screech is heard, stepping back into the van, and looking up Alexis sees a shadow as it zooms passed, shortly after a gust of wind blows down, shaking the van violently. A few seconds later the shaking stops.

"Wow, usually those magical beasts stay higher up, and we would never see them close to they city, what a scare" the driver lady says as she is looking towards the sky, using her hand to shield her eyes from the sun.

The group looks at each other then nods. The first woman in the van speaks up "Even though it's pretty safe in Hondo Fairy, if that thing actually attacked, who knows how much damage would be done before enough of the military was mobilized to stop it, and I hear only wind mages are good at fighting bird type magical beasts, though that is when they're out in the open."

"Yea" the quiet second man says "Probably why the avian magical beasts don't attack city's often, to enclosed for them to fight well."

"OK, the excitements over, quick now before your late" the driver lady urges the workers out of the van.

Making there way in, Alexis goes to the desk first to sign in. A lady at the desk stares at her as she comes over. "You the workers sent by the job center?" Hurry up and sign the sign-in sheet, name, id, date, and time, be quick, they already started unloading the boxes"

Quickly signing in, and gesturing to the other to do so as well, she makes her way towards the back where the mail boss is hurriedly ordering people to stand by conveyor belts in between mail trucks. "Hey you all listen up! Once your at your post, pay attention for any boxes marked with the same route number as the mail truck behind you, all the boxes have already been marked, all you have to do is grab them and put 'em by the truck, and you'll load 'em all once your we're done sorting, now get to it!" the mail boss shouts, using magic to amplify his voice so even though there's plenty of noise from the conveyor starting up, everyone can hear him loud and clear.

Quickly getting into place, Alexis starts performing her job like a full time employee, as she has done this job, and many other odd end jobs through the job center for many years now, helping her household make ends meet, after her parents got injured during a beast hunt.

Sorting the boxes she listens to the chit chat the other workers are having, but it seems to mainly be centered around the Lightning Hawk that just flew by. 'Stupid magical beasts, if it weren't for them, my parents would still be fine, someday maybe I'll go hunt them as well.' Thinking about such, she methodically sorts all the boxes for the truck she was assigned, after sorting, and loading the trucks, three in a half hours have gone by since she left school.

After the work is all done, she quickly calls the job center to report her hours, and ask for the ride back. Then waits with the others needing a ride back to the job center. Noticing the young boy from earlier is rubbing his shoulders, she asks. "Was the work hard on you, I saw that you were pretty strong out there, you must be close to becoming a tier I blood mage?"

"Hmmf not so bad yourself, yea my master told me I have to work here while I'm training, if I can master tier I before the end of summer, he'll take me in as his official disciple, until then I can only train myself following his guidance."

Nodding "At least your master is willing to give you guidance before your even their disciple, keep it up, it's hard to get a master to teach magic outside of the schools and colleges."

The argumentative old man from earlier looks up. "Lucky kids, when I was born there was no magic, getting spoiled is what I call all of you."

The other woman of the group raises an eyebrow. "Spoiled huh, I'm pretty sure at least your generation knew what it was like to live in peace, without magical beasts attacks no, besides it's not like you can't practice now right?"

"Whatever" the old man says.

As the man is glaring at the woman, the job center van pulls up and honks. The same lady from before, pops her head out of the window. "Hey hurry up, I have other people to pick up, snappity snap snap, c'mon."

After getting dropped off, Alexis grabs her bike and pedals on home.

"I'm home" she shouts after opening the door.

"Oh hey dear, dinners already done, why don't you go get yourself cleaned up, and then we'll go watch a movie with your dad."

After finishing her dinner, and watching a movie with her parents, she goes back to here room.

While laying in bed Alexis begins to think of the future. 'I just have to keep practicing my wind magic, and although they have a course on how to inscribe runes at college, it would probably be a good idea to start learning that now to. I've already practiced blood magic to tier II, almost III, my water magics already tier I. It's not easy to practice the other magics inside, but wind should be doable, if I can get it up to tier I along with my water magic I might even be able to do some combination magic.' While having deep thoughts about her future training path, Alexis fell asleep.

2