Primal Stone Event 05
87 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Part 1 - Convincing 

 

After their little chat, Urist and his group got to work on Ubel’s secret mission: taking the mecha back to base for gears to study to see if they could use them. Thanks to the group’s strength and abilities it only took them an hour to bring back a mecha. With loot in tow, Ubel was easily able to hide the truth of the meeting. As for the other mecha’s they would take the cores to make them useless.

When they returned Ubel was handed a report on their losses and gains.

Dwarfs: 15 dead, 35 wounded. Mostly from Agate’s detachment. 

Rat-kin: 25 dead, 27 wounded. Mostly from Zen’s detachment. 

Fox-kin: 21 dead, 40 wounded. Mostly from Agate’s detachment.

Animals were unharmed.

Rescued 400 adult fox-kin.

Of the wounded, only 84 can get back to fight strength within a few days.

Lower than I expected, those rat-kin really put in some hard work. Ubel handed the report over to Urist and kept running the numbers. 

If we add the adult fox-kin to our numbers then we could say that we came out on top with a heroic victory in the first exchange. But some of those mechas and necromancers managed to escape our blitzkrieg, so now they know we’re a threat. They’ll increase the castle’s defenses and in our current situation, it would be a slaughter if we attempt to siege it without something to tip the scales again. This would be the end scenario for us if they didn’t give us a fighting chance thanks to these cores. Otherwise...

“So this is how many died…”, Urist stood there, lost, as he looked at the paper, his hands shaking.

Ubel rolled his eyes at the sight, “You're going to need to get used to it. At least we can bring back the dead as long as we get enough points. So get your head out of those useless thoughts and get ready, we’re going to need to convince those new fox-kin to join our banner. Going to be hard since we did send their kids and parents off to war, so be ready for a tongue lashing.”

Urist sent Ubel a scornful look before deflating, not feeling up to arguing.  

“I know, Ubel... But I hate seeing the people I know die.”

“Then make sure that both you and they get stronger after this. Then there will be less death and less heartache. Now go convince that mob of fox-kin over there, I have tasks to hand out. I’ll get Old Crimson and Sage to back you up so as to make it go smoothly. Good luck, King.”

“Have you ever...?”

Before Urist could finish the question Ubel had already left, off to his own devices.

That prick, leaving me the hard work. I’ll get him back later. Inwardly hyping himself up, Urist headed towards the place filled with angry parents.

Crimson and Sage came out of the left field and silently followed behind him.

Urist stopped walking when he was only a few feet away from the crowd. Although he had seen how weak they looked before, now that he had a closer look Urist could see how much weight they had lost, basically becoming mere skin and bones. 

While studying the group he noticed that some of the fox-kin moved with skill even though they were mere skeletal forms of their previous selves. The fox-kin with the strength bloodline stuck out like sore thumbs with the height and bone structures to have once been built like Valkus. Though their eyes were sunken in and their ribs could be seen under their faded six-packs, they at least looked much better compared to the spacial bloodline fox-kin, who looked so thin that even the wind could blow them away.

Urist wasn’t sure how to respond. Treat them with pity? No these people were those of warriors and hunters. Treat them coldly? No that would be a total Ubel thing and wouldn’t give him any gains. No, what he had to do was treat them as the warriors they were and still are.

Didn’t Sage say they were taken only a week before we came here? How could they look like this after a week? Were they not fed? Those necromancers really are demons.

Urist turned to Uria, “Get the cooks to work overtime, these people are malnourished.”

Before Uria could nod, a snort was heard from the crowd. 

“This wasn’t caused by a lack of eating and drinking. That bastard said that our life force was taken for some kinda spell. So. Who are you?”

Urist turned his head to see the largest of the fox-kin with sunken eyes moving through the crowd to stand before Urist, waiting for him to respond with a glare.

Having already affirmed himself, Urist held out his hand, narrowed his eyes, and put on a caring yet fearless expression.

“It’s nice to meet you. My name is Urist. You say they drained your life forces? Luckily we should have something to fix that. You'll all be back to normal in no time. I’m sorry that it took us so long to rescue you all, but the enemy is tough and heavily fortified while we’ve only just arrived in this land. Tell me brother, what is your name?”

When the large fox-kin saw Urist's outstretched hand and confident expression, his sunken eyes blazed. How could he refuse when this man could save their lives and help them get revenge?

 He took Urist's hand in stride and shook it with whatever strength he had left.

“That is great news to hear. I hate to be weak and let the little ones take all the glory. I am Thatch Blacktail, father to Orion Blacktail and now the best hunter of my clan after the unfortunate death of my dear brother, Akam Whitetail. I’m sorry little Sage that we couldn’t attend your father's funeral. You have my deepest condolences.”

The group of adults moved as one, shakily going down on one knee and bowing to the expressionless Sage.

Sage stepped forth, glowing with confidence, “Thank you for your show of respect. But I am now temporary clan chieftain Sage, not 'little' Sage. I have spoken to God, and we are to follow this man as our King. The one you should bow to isn’t me, but to him— King Urist.”

The man shuddered and looked up with wide eyes before they suddenly narrowed, “You spoke with God? I can't believe you. Tell me, little one, if you truly spoke with God, he must have given you a certain message, didn’t he?”

And for some reason as Sage spoke, Urist and all those around him that weren't fox-kin could only hear static.

“He said ‘The ▯▯▯▯ ▯▯▯ begun again!  These people will lead you to freedom. Follow them until ordered otherwise.’ This is what he told me to tell the others. He said the adults would understand.”

Thatch’s hollow eyes watered as tears rolled down his cheeks, “After all this time our people can finally leave this accursed place. Our god still lives!”

Not just him, but many other people behind him began to weep tears of joy.

Urist gave them a moment to regain themselves. It took a few minutes, in which Uria left to head over to the cooking area and pull some rat meat and bamboo seeds from storage. 

I’m glad I found out that we could still pull from the storage as long as we’re in the village. Even if we can’t use the market, it’s a nice thing to have and can help us save lives.

While waiting Urist also asked Sage if she could repeat what she said to Thatch, only for her to tell him it was a secret and that he wouldn’t be able to hear it.

Yet.

Although a little annoyed, Urist didn’t push the issue since he felt it wasn’t that big of a deal compared to their survival.

After the fox-kin regained their composure they once again stood and bowed, this time to Urist.

“We have shown such disrespect to you, King. We will serve you, even in our disabled states, to the best of our ability.”

Urist moved forth and helped Thatch stand back up, “Thank you for your show of loyalty, but you need not bow to me. Even if I am named a king, I do not have any laws stating that you must bow. Now come, let us get you all back into shape! The cooks are making something right now that not only should help you all but also tastes great!”

Thatch could only smile bitterly, “I can only hope.”

As he led the group towards the makeshift kitchen, Urist could still feel some blood lust in the crowd— no doubt the people who had their children killed.

I should probably tell them that anyone who dies can be brought back and have Sage say it as well for good measure. Hopefully, the looks of death will lessen on my back after that… Still, I wonder what Ubel is doing?

 

Part 2 - Next phase 

 

Ubel went through the report Reaver had put together and quickly figured out what they should be doing next. He began by ordering Grim to study the mecha they’d brought back to see if they could use it or if he could find any weaknesses they could exploit.

“Thanks for the opportunity, Commander. I’ll have a report done on the machine by the end of tomorrow.”

Ubel nodded his head, “Alright, I’ll be eagerly awaiting the results. I’ll also leave a core with you to study.”

“Many thanks. I’ll take my leave and get to it.”

Grim gave a slight bow and left the house with a skip in his step.

Ubel turned to glance at Reaver, who was lazing on a couch, “Bring Agate, Bishop, Ajan, the gem mages, and Empty over. I have a task for them, a matter most urgent.”

Rever yawned, “Acknowledged. After this let me sleep, I’ve been straining myself the entire day.”

“You’ll have six hours to rest but after that, I’ll need you for the night operation.”

“Fuck, not eight? You’re a slave driver.” Reaver as she sent her tigers out as messengers.

Now let’s see your poker face Bishop. Consider it your last test.

It didn’t take long for the dwarfs to arrive. Bishop entered first, followed shortly after by Empty, then the gem mages, and Ajan a few minutes after. The only one late— by twenty minutes at that— was Agate, who was downing a bottle of wine when he walked in. 

Ubel was expressionless at the sight.

Apparently you think you're the shit Agate, thinking you got off scot-free. Just wait till I use you for all you’re worth and throw you into the pits of hell. 

While the group was waiting quietly, Agate brashly questioned in a loud voice, “What do you want from me slave driver? Haven’t I done enough, killing those two necromancers?”

Ubel smiled slightly, “Yes, you have done a wonderful job killing those fiends and freeing the hostages. But I have an important task that only you and your Brother Bishop ca-” 

Agate interrupted Ubel, pointing at Bishop with utter disregard. 

“That fucker isn’t a brother of mine, so I suggest you take that back before I kill you.”

Ubel merely put on a display of being apologetic, “My apologies, I made a mistake. Please have another bottle of wine to soothe your fury.”

Ubel pulled a bottle of wine out from under the desk and held it out to Agate, who swaggered over and took the bottle with a toothy grin. As Ubel handed the bottle over he gave a look over at Bishop, who was silent and calm like a ghost.

“My, my, slave driver. You truly know how to ask for forgiveness. I guess I could hear you out. What do you need this great one to do?”

“Something simple for someone with skills like yours. To turn the war we need to take the cores we acquired from the mechas and make them into bombs. With your talents and Bishop and the rest as the support I’m sure you could accomplish such a simple feat. Once you do you will be rewarded handsomely, but I’ll need at least ten done in two days.” 

“You want me to mess with tier four cores? If I’m going to be risking my life I’ll be expecting something valuable in return.” Agate shot back.

“With the authority granted to me, I’ll be able to give you whatever you ask for. Of course, as long as it is within reason. After all, because of you, we’ll be able to beat this event.”

Hearing that Agate kept his usual smiling expression but inwardly he was laughing hysterically.

Messing with tier four cores is a cakewalk, this’ll be an easy way to cement my position and get a ton of goods. Once I’m done maybe I’ll ask that blind chick with nothing better to do than follow around that fake king to be my toy. Or maybe that girl on the couch? To control her would greatly boost my power in this little place. And after I reveal how this slave driver and Urist did nothing while knowing I had let so many die? Oh, the chaos it’ll bring, I just can’t wait to show Bishop how wrong he was. Maybe I’ll take him back if he sees reason.

Though his thoughts ran wild, Agate revealed nothing as he moved his mouth, “Oh? Then I’ll expect some great things from you, slave driver.”

“Good. I’ll give you half of the cores now since the rest were left for Grim to study. When you finish these five you’ll get the other half. A tiger will be waiting outside to lead you to your workshop. With how dangerous this task is the workshop is a bit outside of the village. I hope you're fine with that.”

Agate took the bag of cores and waved Ubel off, “As long as you bring food and booze there it’ll be fine. Come, underlings, let’s get to work.”

Bishop and the rest that were silently watching also exited the building.

After the group left Reaver turned to Ubel. Her once neutral face shrouded with disgust, “Wow, I didn’t know you could act like that Ubel. Made my skin crawl. I have to agree with your plan to kill him, but still, do you have to make poor Kist go through with ripping the knowledge out of that trash of a dwarf's brain?”

Ubel turned to her, his expression back to his usual dead-eyed stare. “I’ve done enough acts like that to break your spirit. It’s a good skill to learn and I implore you to learn it as well. As for the mind rip… even if he’s a trash dwarven being he’s still a tier four. The information in his head will be of great help to our gem mages, and besides for all his disrespect he needs to be milked for all he’s worth.”

“Remind me to not become your enemy, Commander.”

“Humph, I care not what you say as long as you do not undermine me or King Urist, and do your duty diligently. Now go rest, I’ll need you in top form for the night operation.”

“Sir, yes sir!”

Ubel watched Reaver leave and took a moment to lean back in his chair, closing his eyes as a small smile formed upon his lips.

That was a really good poker face, Bishop. I’m glad my greed paid off.

 

Part 3 - Musing Thoughts 

 

Inside the medical tent Unicy lay in bed, bored out of her mind, and surrounded by groaning. 

How long am I going to be lying in this bed? I wanna stretch my legs already...She thought to herself when the light mage Adster suddenly loomed over her with a smile that made Unicy shiver.

“Ho? You're my next patient? Good, good. I wanted to know how you scream.”

Unicy started sweating, remembering Fatty and the others’ screams of pain when they got ‘healed.’

“Nonsense… s-shouldn’t there be more pressing— more wounded people that need your touch more, dear sister?”

Adster leaned downward and moved her fingers along Unicy’s body, causing bumps to appear in their wake wherever they trailed. 

Eyes still smiling, Adster blew in Unicy’s ear, “Don’t you worry your pretty little head, most of the heavily wounded have already been treated. I saved you just for last to reward myself. To be able to hear the cavalry commander’s healing voice... will be quite a treat.”

Someone, for the love of God, please save me from this torture.

“Now you lay still so I can buckle you in. Don’t want you to open that wound without my permission.”

Just before Adster could finish securing the last leather belt trapping Unicy, someone entered the room.

“Urist has decreed that all heavily and moderately wounded people are to digest a bowl of healing soup immediately.”

“Tsk.”

Oh, thank god, Urist.

But the messenger wasn’t finished, “Oh yes I almost forgot. Ubel added that all the heavily wounded get the soup with the exception of Unicy, as her wound is too severe. She is to be immediately healed by Adster and then spoon-fed the healing soup.”

Anger bubbled in Unicy as she tried to break out of the leather straps, “Ubel you bastard! How dare you do this to me! I’ll have my revenge on you, you soulless bastard! Just you w—”

Before she could finish speaking, Adster secured the last binding and strapped a gag over her mouth.

Unicy began to tremble, staring at the smiling Adster who whispered. “You heard the commander. We need to follow orders don’t we Unicy~. So don’t strain your voice, leave that for when we do the healing ok~.”

A single tear ran down Unicy’s cheek, Oh god. Not like this… Ubel you demon… I’ll get my revenge!

As the wounded left the tent to get their soup a muffled high pitched girlish scream rang out behind their backs.

***

“Begin the operation.” Sitting in his chair with tired eyes, Ubel ordered the now refreshed Reaver.

“Understood, sending out the scouts,” Reaver replied, sending out a squad of ten kid fox-kin with tigers as mounts.

After making sure they were gone she spoke from the couch, “Are you sure we shouldn’t send out the hunters? I’m sure Joy and Valkus could easily accomplish this task.”

“They could but I want to give the fox-kin some achievements. It isn't good to always rely on one force. Remember this Reaver, you can’t put all your eggs in one basket. You have to diversify so you are not pinched for options.  Also, this is a good opportunity to gauge how good they will be as scouts with that teleporting ability.

“So they are just lab rats then?” Reaver remarked.

“Yah, they are and they agreed to do it too. I gave them the cold hard facts. They might not make it back alive so don’t try to shame me for my tactics and do your job.” Ubel shot back.

Reaver snorted, “Understood.”

***

Outside of the village, Agate was focusing on the cores at hand. With the formations Bishop gave him and all the helping hands scurrying around, he was in a good pace.

Although I could be quicker I want to draw this out and make it seem much more difficult than it actually is. If I don’t put on a show for these insects they might tell Ubel it wasn’t that hard and I might get fewer rewards. Agate uselessly thought as he changed the line connections on his second core. 

It wasn’t that hard to turn the cores into bombs since all he had to do was wrap Bishop's formations around the cores, alter the energies inside both slightly, and place them inside caskets that Empty created under his order.

He has good craftsmanship and didn’t screw up. Worthy enough to be an underling after I take over. Another line down, six more to go. Hmmm, should I try to convince Bishop back to my side? If I tell him what I did I bet he’d understand that these guys are pushovers. Then we could be brothers once again!

Heh, I can’t wait to see his expression. It’ll be priceless. And then we can make this mountain a New Red Mountain and once again be overlords. Yah, that’ll do it. I'll talk to him after I finish up this work today.

I’m sure he’ll see that we can’t live peacefully. We just have too much blood on our hands to live that way. Yah, it’ll be just like old times.

Agate smiled at the thought and kept on working, lost in his own world.

 

Part 4 - Night Time Mission

 

“Thanks to the medical soup the wounded are recovering faster, putting less strain on the healers. Our King has also recruited the adult fox-kin into our forces and even stopped their discontent after they found out he sent their children to war. Although he does say that if Sage wasn’t there they wouldn’t have been pacified so easily. Other than that, our King says that within two days the adults should be back to peak health and ready to fight. End report.” A cool looking female dwarf recounted to Ubel, who was staring at a map being drawn by Kist. 

Ubel turned his attention to her for a moment, “Thank you for the update. Give our King my regards and tell him that if nothing crazy happens, we should be on track to finish this event in three days. Also, tell him that I need to talk to him about something I found out after we finish this operation.”

“We’re approaching the castle. Your orders, Commander?” Reaver's voice rang out.

“Understood. That’ll be all, Sel. You are dismissed.”

“I’ll be on my way then, Commander.” With a sight bow, the cool beauty named Sel left.

When the door closed Ubel turned back to the closed-eyed pair, Kist and Reaver.

“I will now restate what we’re doing here and our rules of engagement. Kist will be a second pair of eyes and help keep a lookout while he sketches out the map, and our scouts are to get as close as possible to the castle and get us information about the walls. Afterward, the tiger scouts will try to infiltrate the castle and gather information while remaining undetected.

“They are to get as much information as they can before retreating. If someone is discovered they are to act as bait for the others and either gather more information or escape. Finally, if the mission turns to shit it’s every fox for themself. Reaver, put in an order if your connection is somehow cut. Have your tigers follow the fox-kin. Also, if their fox-kin partner dies, have them retreat back to base. 

“Although I’ve given them each a guideline to follow and you’re just babysitting them, I’ll be leaving their lives in your hands, Reaver and Kist, as the feedback lag them to me would be too great for this task. Unless there’s a dire need, don’t ask for me. That is all. I wish you two and the rest the best of luck.”

I won’t fail them, I’ll make sure they get out of there alive… Reaver thought to herself while clenching her hands.

***

Breathing in the cold air, Virgo sat on a tiger surrounded by eleven other tigers riding fox-kin. Looking up at the sky she could see the spatial tearings that flashed like stars around the orange moon. For as long as she had lived she had witnessed this sky and tonight she might die under it.

Father, Mother. I will rescue you. Just hang on.

“Why are you spacing out, Virgo? We have scouting to do.” Turning to her right she saw her good friend, Skit, flash her a boyish grin.

“It’s nothing, I’m ready.” Virgo tried to play it off cooly in an attempt to make herself look like a cool beauty. 

“Is that so? As expected of the coldest huntress in the younger generation! Nothing gets under your skin does it?” Skit flashed another smile at the cold looking Virgo, who rolled her eyes, trying not to blush.

The only thing that does is that smile. Oh what I’d do to yo-

“Hey, cut the chatter. We’re about to begin. If one of you fucks this up we’ll all most likely end up dead,” A thin but muscular looking child remarked as he glared at them with cold eyes.

“Who made you leader, Crux?” Barked one of the fox-kin.

“Orion did. He made me promise to lead you knuckleheads while he was injured. Otherwise, he wouldn’t have stayed in bed like a good boy.”

“Orion…” One in the group whispered.

“That fool…” Another whined.

“Enough of the sad air. He isn’t dead yet so don’t just kill him off.” Crux snorted then continued, “Now that you're all quiet, we have orders for this mission. We will be splitting into teams of three. You’ve all been taught the signs so we’ll have no talking when we enter. From our study of the walls, going in through the gates is out of the question since they’re too heavily defended, just as the commander expected. So we’ll be climbing the northeast, northwest, southeast, and southwest walls.

“We only have one hour to get in, find some information, and get out. Any longer and the risk of exposure is too great. Any questions?”

The squad was silent.

Crux nodded his head, “Then let God be with us.”

“Please protect us, God of the Hunt.”

All of the group whispered prayers to their nine-tailed fox god. Once the short prayer was over, the squad split up and chose their teammates. Crux teamed up with two others, and Virgo and Skit teamed up with Tarius, a silent Fox-kin who spoke very little. The other six took a moment before splitting into groups as well.

As Virgo led her two teammates and the tiger assigned to them towards the northwest castle wall her eyes wandered along the fifteen meter high black bone walls.

I know we can easily clear the wall, but how will the Tigers get over the wall?

As she mused this the two behind her were also wondering as they waited for the other teams to get into position. 

When they were ready the tigers pawed at the ground to give the signal. The fox-kin nodded to each other and teleported thirty meters into the air, each scanning the castle walls for a weakness. After jumping into the air a few times to scan the other side of the wall, they teleported back to the ground near the tigers.

After talking over what they found, the children decided to directly teleport into a pocket on the wall that was free of any skeletons. Petting the tigers and pointing in the direction they’re going, the three teleported onto the wall with pinpoint accuracy. They then turned to see what the tigers would do, and watched with wide eyes as the tigers used pure muscle and claws to silently climb up the wall.

Oh. So that’s how they’ll get over. Virgo discerned before scanning the area around them.

It didn’t take long before the tigers joined them on the wall. Being careful not to be seen, the group watched as a skeleton patrol started moving towards their direction. The fox-kin teleported to a building with a balcony to avoid the patrol, and the tigers climbed down to follow them. 

While scanning the area around her which was filled with black bones, Virgo had a sudden thought. Were we just this lucky to enter unnoticed? Although I see scarce patrols around, there should be more, right? Where are they? Don’t tell me… This is a trap?

She looked over and could see the same hardened expression on her teammates.

Even if it’s a trap, we’re in the predator's mouth now. I need to do this, for my parents and myself. I will not be called a coward! 

Clenching her fist Virgo hardened her resolve, stood up, and began walking. Light footsteps moved after her.

The mission was a go.

 

Part 5 - Toll 

 

Teleporting from one bone building to another, Virgo and her group passed by the undread patrols with ease. Even the tigers that didn’t have the ability to move through space like them jumped from building to building silently, unseen by the skeletons below. 

It had already been twenty minutes since they began scouting the area, and they’d gleaned great amounts of information on the skeleton’s numbers and the terrain within the castle walls. The three fox-kin were currently signing to one another in silence, arguing whether to proceed further in or not.

“We’ve only scouted the outer area; we at least need to see some part of the core area. I suggest we keep going and gain more information.” Virgo argued with an eye twitch.

Tarius snapped back, “We don’t have time to keep exploring, the day grows short and we’ll miss our exit time. I say we’ve done enough and should head back.”

Tarius looked to Skit for help only to see him shake his head and respond, “Virgo is right, we need as much of the layout as we can get so that we can attack effectively. Otherwise, we might lose lives due to the lack of information.”

Tarius rolled his eyes, “You just wanna get into her pants, you fucking pervert. I’d rather live than give my life to stupidity,”

“Wha!?” Virgo blushed heavily as Skit sent Tarius a death glare.

“If you wanna leave then leave. We’ll complete the mission by ourselves and tell our people how much of a coward you are. Come on Virgo, let's leave this gutless wimp and go.”

Skit rose and teleported away to the next structure without another word. Dazed, Virgo looked at Tarius, torn between trying to convince him and following after Skit.  

Tarius refused to look her in the eye. Virgo just stared at him, disappointed, and ported away. Two of the three tigers followed after them. 

Tarius wanted to yell at them for being foolish, stupid, and foolhardy, but he couldn’t bring himself to do such a thing. He turned away and started to teleport his way out of the castle, going back the way he came.

Not even one hundred meters away from where they had parted, a cold female voice rang out from the shadows, “So, this is where you vermin snuck to. Great, I’ve been wanting to blow off some steam for all the brothers and sisters I’ve lost.”

Tarius’ blood ran cold as he turned to the voice and saw a necromancer surrounded by bone whips getting ready to charge at him. A commotion of clattering bones sounded below him, and his flickering gaze turned to see that he had been surrounded by a horde of armed undead. Every single one of them was aiming their guns at him.

***

Meanwhile, Skit headed deeper into the castle grounds, fuming with frustration as Virgo silently followed in tow. 

With the way he’s acted in the past d-does he truly like me? W-what do I do!?

Caught up in her thoughts, Virgo almost didn’t notice when Skit stopped on top of a construct and stared downwards. Awoken from her thoughts, Virgo teleported next to him to see what he was looking at, and her eyes instantly widened with disbelief and soon turned to utter hatred.

Spread out below them were their missing clansmen, hung on crosses, and looking more like skeletons than actual living people. Virgo instantly picked out her parents among them, more thanks to the decorations they wore than their features. Their once lush and colorful hair had turned white and scraggly, matted and covered in who knows what. Her mother's once bountiful curves had decayed away and her father's previously strong fame had caved, leaving behind only a shell of his former self. 

Virgo saw red and wanted to scream, but resisted the urge and she attempted to rush down and untie her parents. It was only thanks to Skit holding her back that she didn’t dive downwards.

Throwing his hands off her wrists she snarled with anger, “What the fuck are you doing?! We have to save them!”

Skit replied calmly but his eyes also burned with fury, “It isn’t our mission and we have no way to extract them safely. They’re also not in any condition to be moved safely. We’ll probably kill them if we move them without special care!”

“You want me to leave them like that after we finally found them? To let them go again only to suffer more?! Don’t you love me Skit? How could you ask me to leave my parents to die?!”

Skit grit his teeth, “I don’t wish to see you die senselessly! We cannot save them with our current strength. If we go down there we’ll only seek our deaths. Please see reason, Virgo!”

“Easy for you to say! Your parents aren’t the ones still captured, hanging down there like lifeless corpses! If you were in my shoes, you wouldn’t stop me.”

Before Skit could retort and convince Virgo to leave, a cold female voice rang out. 

“Well, well, well. So you didn’t sneak in alone after all.”

The two turned to see a necromancer with yellow eyes hanging off the side of a construct, held there by the bone whips coming out of her back and hanging around her body. Wrapped within some of her whips was the coward Tarius, who had pissed his pants and was crying his eyes out.

With a twitching, nervous smile, Tarius started speaking, “I told you that I wasn’t bullshitting! Will you let me go now, Mistress?”

Tapping her chin with her finger the female necromancer seemed to be deep in thought. But soon a fiendish smile appeared on her lips, “Sure, you're free to go on your way... after I collect the toll, that is.”

“W-what are yo—”

Tarius couldn’t finish his sentence as the whips moved in a flash, cutting off his hands and feet and causing blood to jet out like a fountain.

“There. Toll collected.”

Blood drained from Virgo and Skits' faces as Tarius’ screams of pain and despair echoed into the night.

For the necromancer, his screams were merely music to her ears, “Now off you go! My babies below are starving so make sure you give them a good hunt, ya hear?”

She dropped him like a sack of screaming potatoes and watched as he fell down into the streets filled with chattering bones that hungered for fresh flesh.

Not wanting to die despite knowing that he had no method of survival, Tarius began to teleport away in hopes of living.

Virgo and Skit knew that he was a dead man on borrowed time. They had no time to worry about him, however, as they needed to figure out how to survive this sudden enemy. 

“Now, now.”

Eyes lightening up with dirty yellow flames, the necromancer’s smile widened to the point of showing her elongated teeth.

“How shall I play with you~?”

Pushing the stunned Virgo behind him, Skit pulled out his sword and signed to her with one hand. When I give you the opening, run.

Skit walked forth and began to speak, “So you're one of the monsters that invaded our peaceful lives.”

“Hoo? I pegged you vermin as cowards after most of you surrendered without a fight and that coward sold you two out. Who knew that one of you actually had a spine. Oh, how I can’t wait to hear you scream! I promise not to make it quick.”

The necromancer's bone whips lashed chaotically through the air surrounding her, yet Skit didn't stop moving forward. As he drew closer to the lashing bones Skit called out, “Though today is the day that death calls my name, I, Skitto, one of the twelve priests of Strone Village, will stand firm before the foes before me!”

A silver light started to leak out of his body and clash against the necromancer’s vile yellow energy. Then he vanished, instantly appearing further away before vanishing once more. Skit teleported around dozens to hundreds of times in order to confuse the necromancer with illusionary shadows.

“You think the power of an oath like that will bring you to my level? In your dreams!”

“I, as an agent of god, burn my current life down to a minute in order to slay my Lord’s and people's enemy!”

The silver light exploded forth, evenly matching with the corrupted yellow light and attempting to devour it.

Skit’s teleporting increased exponentially and thousands of silver shadows moved ever closer to the ball of lashing bone whips. His brain activity and eyesight had been improved drastically, allowing him to basically see everything in slow motion.

The necromancer finally started to feel fear bubbling in her chest yet she kept on smiling, refusing to show her terror. 

“Y-You think that’ll be enough to kill me? Skeletons, fire! Fire!”

The sky filled with randomly fired purple bullets as the skeleton army attempted to get a hold of Skit’s position. Yet despite their efforts and the bullets shooting around like rain, Skit dodged the purple balls with a little effort that unfortunately closed off his chance to easily attack. 

It isn’t enough. Skit thought as he watched the necromancer’s hundreds of bone whips change their patterns to counter his teleportations.

I’m going to have to sacrifice more to protect her. 

Skit spoke with a hollow fury, taking his final oath, “I, as an agent of God while I live and forevermore once I die, sacrifice my left arm forever.”

SIlver light exploded forth from Skit as his left arm shriveled away into dust and his body began to crack apart like glass. Time felt like it had been trapped within quicksand, moving so slowly that Skit could even spare some attention to Virgo’s retreating figure.

I really wish I could’ve spent more time with her... I could’ve married her, had children with her, watch our children grow, and teach them how to hunt. God... I know it’s selfish... but please protect her once I’m no longer in the land of the living. 

Skit turned away from Virgo, fully focusing on the necromancer before him. Her once smiling expression had long since turned into one of horror as she desperately tried to use her whips to block his incoming attack.

How trivial.

The thought flashed through Skit’s mind as he stepped past her defenses and stabbed a blade into her head. But he wasn’t done there. Once the knife was stuck in the necromancer’s skull, Skit pulled the wire on his chest and activated his explosive vest. He then wrapped his free arm around the necromancer's body, holding tight even when her bone whips impaled his body.

Before the whips ended his life, before the explosives went off... Skit had a chance to utter his last words as he stared into the eyes of the necromancer, “Glory to God.”

Looking back at the pillar of flames in the distance, Virgo had tears running down her cheeks. She felt powerless. She had to run away from the battle, from her parents, and most importantly, from the boy who fell in love with her and risked his life for hers.

By the time Virgo left the castle walls her self-hatred and anger had faded away, leaving a hollow feeling in her chest. She stood and stared up at the sky as she waited for the others to return to the meeting spot. One by one they came back. Only... of the twelve that went in, only six had returned.

Virgo didn’t say anything. No one said anything. Everyone had lost someone.

It took a long while before Virgo broke the silence.

“Come on… let’s go home.”

With a few mumbles here and there, the five fox-kin and twelve tigers fell in line and the group made their way back in sadness.

Edited by: KuroYousei

4