Scene 1: One Last Lap
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Scene 1:

(JACOB’s study. Thunder and lightning crash throughout the scene.) 

 

(JACOB stands CENTER STAGE crying while holding a covered body. He is surrounded by the SYMPHONY OF THE RAVEN, animalistic entities given form from the world’s darkness. A man dressed in a jean jacket with black sunglasses watches the scene unfold on a platform behind JACOB. Laying on the floor STAGE RIGHT is a gun. As JACOB weeps over the body, the SYMPHONY force him toward his empty desk. JACOB cannot see the SYMPHONY. JACOB places the body onto the desk.)

 

JACOB: Please God don’t be real! I’m so sorry, I …, I didn’t mean it you gotta believe me. It wasn’t me; it wasn’t me; it wasn’t me! I…, I was tricked Elizabeth please. Oh, what have I done! All I wanted was to help them! To bring an end to their pain! I…., Elizabeth, I just wanted to make a better place for us. For the children. Please don’t let it be you this time. Not you again, not ever again!

 

(JACOB peals back the cover, revealing ELIZABETH’s corpse)

 

JACOB: Elizabeth no! I didn’t mean it; I didn’t mean it please. I take it back; I take everything back. The gifts, the Gods, the children. I take it all back! Just give her back to me. Just this once please! M! I’ll go with you this time! Mephistopheles you son of a bitch! I’ll go with you. I’ll go. 

 

(JACOB drops to his knees, his face warped by pain and grief. He looks up at ELIZABETH’s corpse for a moment before looking to his left at the gun.)

 

JACOB: If you won’t take it back, I will. 

 

(JACOB slowly pulls his body toward the gun before grasping it in both hands. His fingers sketch along the engravings on its side)

JACOB: Ralathor was right. With you, there are always contingencies. What do you say Elizabeth? One last lap around the end of the world for old times' sake?

 

(JACOB brings the gun to his head. Lights down on JACOB as a gunshot rings out. Lights up on MEPHISTOPHELES 1. He stands still watching the end of the scene with a cold expression. He tightens his fists as MEPHISTOPHELES 2 approaches.)

 

M2: Another bloody failure! You told me he would take this time!

 

M1: I said I thought he would take this time. This isn’t easy you know. Given our history together. I want to save him as much as you do.

 

M2: Then why haven’t you gotten results? As of tonight, we are out of time!

 

M1: Just give me one more chance. I’m sure I can get him to….

 

M2: No! This time I’m going in. The schedules been pushed up. Penelope arrives tonight. Tomorrow we ride to the Tower with Jacob in tow, either willingly or by force. 

 

M1: Please, just give him another chance. You saw how he was after so many cycles already. He’s bound to make the right decision this time. I can feel it.

 

M2: Well after a hundred years he hasn’t, and we need him ready now! Without him, the entire plan falls apart. Years of our sacrifices would be for nothing. (M2 takes a moment) I’ll give you one more try, but if he doesn’t agree to go with you by the time the Horseman have gathered, I will be taking control. 

 

M1: Fine, do as you wish. Just …. just do your best not to hurt him too much. After everything.

 

M2: I know. I don’t like the thought much myself, but it must be done.

 

M1: Then I guess I’ll see you at the Tower.

 

(With a final crash of thunder, the scene shifts into scene 2)

0