Chapter 8
65 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ah, I don't know what to say here this time kek.

Chapter Start

I'm looking into the mirror once again. This time, it shows a slightly different picture. It still shows me, just with a beautiful pair of wings. The outer scales as white as snow, with the scales on the inside, a very light and pale blue. There's also a pure white tail with blue tips, which seems to be a rather flexible dragon's tail that splits off into two close to the end.

After a little while more of observing, it shatters once again. It shows all the same scenes, all the same abuse, as last time, still just as painful as it was. However, this time there are more shards, more memories, that I get to see. I wonder if they'll be just as painful as the last, or if they'll be better?

They show the children and guards whispering about me behind my back, calling me a "freak" for not having dragon  wings like the rest of them. I hear them whispering degrading comments, insulting me, saying that 'I should just die'. They dare not do so in front of the King. After all, he has an image to uphold, and has to protect me because of such, no matter how much he dislikes me.

I remember them flying about, mocking me for not being able to join them. I remember them dropping me from large heights, and laughing as I get hurt. I remember how they beat me while taunting me for not being able to fly.

They continued to look down upon me. However, once I go back, I'll show them that they made a rather large mistake. I'll show them that Faeries are cruel and spiteful to those who anger them. And besides, who knows? This mirror shows me with a wonderful pair of wings, so what's to say I won't get them?

---------------------------------------------------------

I wake up, shooting into a sitting position on my bed. Trying to remember all the details of the dream I just had. The ending this time seemed… off. It felt more violent and, strangely enough, hopeful compared to my last dream which felt like it was full of sadness and despair.

It was strange… especially the ending. Though I guess it does give me an idea of what's causing the pain I suppose. But what's causing the pain in my throat? Maybe another dragon trait? This also brings me to another question: Why do I, and all of them, take human form when they're supposedly dragons? Hmmm… I'll need to figure that out. 

[Hey Neve, are you okay? You're very much spacing out right now.]

Upon hearing that, I snap out of my contemplation, "I'm fine. Just had another dream. Which gave me a load of questions and a possible reason for the pain I'm currently suffering through."(Neve)

[Oh? What was the dream about? And what do you think is causing the pain?]

I describe the dream, and give her my theory as to what's causing the back pain, though do pose my question about my throat hurting possibly being another dragon trait.

[First of all, if I ever meet those people they're dead. Second of all, that's a really valid theory. Both Dragons and Faeries have wings, so it would make less sense if you didn't have any, though I do wonder why you're developing yours so late. Also, the throat hurting could possibly be you developing a draconic breath weapon.]

"Ooh, that'd be very cool! I wonder which type of breath weapon though. Probably ice due to the fact that I'm 90% white. Ah, another question, why do I look almost completely human, and why did they all take human forms? They're all probably dragons, yes?"

[Ah, to save resources and diplomacy. If they're in human form, they save on both costs for building their houses and other buildings, they require less food, and foreign diplomats feel more comfortable around them. As for you, you lack a full dragon form due to your Fae heritage, so you were born in a humanoid form.] 

"Not gonna talk about my possible breath weapon?"(Neve)

[Nope, as I agree that it'll probably be Ice. Though I do wonder, do you have any inherent magical abilities?]

"Probably. I'm a cross between two magically inclined races, it would be strange if I didn't have inherent magic. I think the book mentions a way to figure it out… Yup, right here. Want me to perform it to see if I have any spell-like abilities? I'd personally rather not have to wait until my nerves are so high I accidentally cast it."(Neve)

[What does it take? Nothing too expensive I hope.] 

"Let me see… All it requires is a cup of some sort, some water, a few drops of my blood, and some of my hair."(Neve)

[That is shockingly cheap for a ritual.] 

"Well, there isn't really much of a point to this ritual to begin with. According to the book, most people with Spell Like abilities instinctively know what spell they can cast and how to cast it. I should be able to instinctively cast it as well, but I need to know what I can cast first. I'm pretty sure I knew them before I lost most of my memories, but I gotta relearn what spells now."

[I see… so it's like instinctively grasping something as long as you know what that something is. As you don't know, you can't grasp it yet.]

"Yup. Well then, let's start the 'ritual'."(Neve)

The ritual itself was rather easy. Just put 4 strands of hair into a cup four tenths of the way full of water, before dropping 4 drops of blood into it. Then you wait 4 seconds and spill it onto the floor where it'll spell out your spells for 4 minutes before disappearing as if it was never there.

It took me 4 times before I did it right.

"Huh, interesting. I have five spell-like abilities. Nice."(Neve)

[Well, what are they? I stopped paying attention after you messed it up the second time.]

"They are 'Item Retrieval', 'Charm', 'Draconic Malice', 'Scrying', and 'Unremarkable'."(Neve)

[Nice, so are you going to start experimenting with them?]

"Well, now that I know its name I can already tell you what 'Charm' does… it could lead to problems."(Neve)

[How so?]

"Oh, it's a spell that's always active unless I focus to turn it off. It makes everyone like and trust me more, it also makes people want to protect me more."(Neve)

[Ah, that could be an issue if you accidentally use it on someone who can detect what you're doing. Doesn't help that it's downgraded brainwashing.]

"Yup. I'll need to learn to keep it off even without focusing on it."(Neve)

Afterwards, I spent the rest of the day experimenting, learning a lot about the rest of my abilities. 'Retrieve Item' is the simplest. It's essentially an extremely limited telekinesis that can only affect unattended items that I can hold. It has the downside of requiring me to snap my fingers for me to use it.

My next ability I tested was 'Draconic Malice'. It essentially created a Draconic aura that scares or demoralizes any creature within range. The aura looks different depending on who casts it. According to Yuki, mine looks like a white storm with a crimson undertone to it. It was hilarious to see the kobolds take off sprinting away from me.

Next was 'Scrying', now this one was confusing to attempt to learn. It allows me to remotely view other people and anything within 10ft of them, it comes with both audio and video so I can understand a conversation if I watch them. The downside is I have to have either met the person I wish to spy on or have something connected to them such as a picture or an item of theirs. I may try and use this on my father later, I'm curious how that will turn out.

Last but not least, ignoring charm as I have already explained that, is 'Unremarkable'. I can't test it because I have no one to target, but I have the feeling that it makes people view the actions of myself or others as 'normal'. I could kill a guard in front of a civilian and the civilian wouldn't deem it as anything to note.

The results of a full day of experimentation were fruitful. Especially since it also got me points due to the kills I got while testing them.

After explaining my findings to Yuki, I decided to head back to my <Dimensional Room> and sleep.

Chapter End

Neve's Tail in the reflection looked like Elizabeth Bathory's from Fate.

The difference between a normal spell and a spell like ability is that a spell-like ability is instinctual.

Neve would've eventually used her spell-like abilities, but that would require a high stress situation, so she would rather use a peaceful ritual to learn it instead

2