Chapter 9
63 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Start

As I wake up, I feel like something's off. I can't tell what it is, just that something's off. It's not my back or throat, as while they still hurt and the pain is getting worse, I already expected that. I sit there for 20 minutes trying to figure it out before giving up and sitting up. I give my usual morning greetings to Yuki, before asking her to roll the Gacha, which I forgot to do yesterday.

"Hey Yuki, can you roll the free gacha for today?"

[Here you go.]

---------------------------------------------------------

<Gacha>

---------------------------------------------------------

You have obtained the Item(s): 

(Common)Multiflavored Prank Jelly Bean Packages×5

May you have wonderful Luck!

---------------------------------------------------------

Oh no. Those will… suck to say the least. I'll eat one package of them before saving the rest for later. I wonder if Yuki will ever get a body? If so, I'm definitely going to make her eat some.

I get dressed and have a small meal for breakfast, wondering how possible it would be to create a magic shower in here. That is my first personal goal, as hygiene is very important.

After finishing up my morning routine, I decided to leave the <Dimensional Room>, and the first thing that happens is I smell an overwhelming scent of blood. Overwhelming to the point I nearly passed out by smelling it.

[Neve! What's wrong?!]

"Why… Why do I smell blood? It's overwhelming."(Neve) I said shakily. 

[What? Blood? Why would you smell tha… oh, oh my.]

"Please bring me back to the <Dimensional Room> before I puke, it's too much."(Neve)

In a blink of an eye, I'm covered in a solid wall of shadows and end up back in my room. The overwhelming smell of blood is gone, though a new, not so overwhelming, smell is here instead. 

I could smell it earlier, it was just too light for me to be able to notice. It's difficult to describe the smell, almost as if it's a strong mix of other smells that humans shouldn't be able to smell or describe. To put it simply, it lightly smells like the color white. 

"That's much better. Though I have a question, why does the room now smell 'white'? The smells are too weak for me to tell exactly what it is, but I vaguely get the impression it's divine in nature for some reason."(Neve)

[I think… I think you may be smelling mana signatures… Strange, that's usually an ability that some eccentric spellswords pick up and learn, yet you have it naturally.]

"What the heck? What am I? An archer that uses swords as arrows? Is there any way to turn it off? The overwhelming blood scent would probably get in the way of my dungeon diving."(Neve)

[As it's not an actual physical sense of smell but rather just another way of sensing mana, you can't turn it off. You will still be able to smell normal things as well without it interfering. You can get used to it though, and it can stop you from getting overwhelmed later on if that helps?]

"Ugh, first I have to deal with back pains that will likely result in wings and a tail, now I have to deal with my nose being too sensitive, and soon I'll have to deal with a developing breath attack. What's next? I get some sort of Mystic Eyes?"(Neve)

[...]

"..."(Neve)

[...]

"Oh no, will they hurt?"(Neve)

[Possibly. While it's not a guarantee, your eyes seem to have a large amount of mana cycling through them. So there is a very high chance of you developing some very soon.] 

Well crap. This sucks. I now have to deal with being able to smell two different things at once without the smells blending, which is going to be confusing as crap, and there's a good chance I'll have to deal with magic eyes that I'll also have to learn to control. And I'll have to figure out how to use my new abilities in combat or how to at least keep them from interfering with fights.

"The next few weeks are going to suck, huh? I'm still learning my current abilities, and now I have to learn even more abilities."(Neve)

[I'm confident that you can do it. You have been holding up fine so far when it comes to learning, right?]

"True, but it's still annoying to have more work dumped on you when you haven't finished what you're already working on. Gah, and my hands are still sore from all the fighting I've done recently."(Neve)

Hrmm, this gives me a question, one I feel like I should've asked earlier. "Hey Yuki, why do you think I'm suddenly starting to gain all my draconic features now instead of much earlier? I feel like it's strange for them to all come and hit me all within the span of a few weeks."(Neve)

[I have an idea, though I can't guarantee it's accurate.]

"Can you please tell me? I'm genuinely curious about your idea."(Neve)

[It's likely that your Faerie blood interfered with your dragon blood. You see, when a dragon has a child with another race, the child usually ends up with more 'dragon' than they do with their other parent's race. Based on what I've seen so far, you're pretty much a 50/50 split between a faerie and a dragon, so it could be that the two different bloodlines have spent most of your life fighting for dominance.]

"Does that mean my Faerie bloodline lost the fight or something?"

[No, It's highly likely that all your dragon features will be changed by your Faerie blood and vice versa. That's likely what happened to your sense of smell. It likely turned the Faerie's high mana sensitivity and changed it to the sense of  smell instead of the sense of touch.

You'll also likely develop some features from your Faerie blood as well. That's probably where your eyes come from considering it's common for them to gain mystic eyes, though it will likely be changed a tad bit. Your white hair and extremely pale skin probably comes from your Faerie blood.] 

I blink. I blink again. That certainly would make a lot of sense. This would answer a lot of questions, many of which I've had for a while just never bothered to ask. I mean, while I haven't seen them properly, my teeth certainly feel sharper. I once accidentally bit my tongue and it hurt like crap. 

"Huh, do you think my eyes will change colors? Ah! While on the topic of looks, do you know my height and weight? I feel much shorter than I did in my past life, and I'm certainly too thin for someone of my height, but I can't tell just how much shorter and how underweight. Not without a mirror which I don't have."(Neve)

[I don't know about how permanent they are, but at the very least they'll change color when you're using them. Also, do you want me to use the imperial or metric system? I would use this world's system, but I don't know it.]

"Ah, can you tell me using both? Because I'm used to both."(Neve)

[Sure, you're roughly 4ft or 1.21 meters tall, and you weigh roughly 60 lbs or 27kgs.]

"Huh, so by human standards I'd be short and slightly underweight. Wait, I'm a child, yes?"(Neve)

[Yup. But you likely won't grow very much height-wise from this point on. The women from both royal families you descend from are known to be rather short.]

"I see. I'm more than a full foot shorter than I was in my last life. That means I can pass as a child for much, much longer and people would be none the wiser, yes?"(Neve)

[Unless they use some sort of diagnostic spell which usually is difficult to learn, yes.]

"Then I have no complaints. I enjoy cute things, so why should I not be cute myself?"(Neve)

[I… see?]

---------------------------------------------------------

After that, I spent the rest of the day jumping in and out of my <Dimensional Room> to get used to the smell of the dungeon. It took the rest of the day before I was confident enough to fight without getting sick. 

As I was laying down, reading my magic book and preparing to go to sleep, I decided to ask a few questions about how the system works.

"Hey Yuki, I have a question."(Neve)

[And I might have an answer. What's the question?]

"How does my inventory work? I mean, I shove my hand into a hole of literal shadow and store and take out items from it."(Neve)

[Ah, that. I was waiting for you to ask that. That's actually one of the few questions about the system I'm actually allowed to answer. I'm actually forbidden to answer most questions about the system for now. Once you're stronger I'll be allowed to, but not now.

Now about your question. Your inventory is a small pocket dimension that's permanently bound to your body, which is why it eventually starts to affect your body if you store too much in it.

And because I'm allowed to tell this as well, the system only helped make the pocket dimension. Due to you being the Child of Space, you're naturally skilled with space magic and can cast most of its spells with little issue. You created the inventory yourself, it's just that due to you not knowing magic as of yet, the system had to fill in the spaces your instincts failed to fill.]

"I see, so I'm the one who made it, the system refined it? Does the body part it's linked to change from person to person, and where is mine linked?"(Neve)

"Yup. That's the simplest way to put it. The linked part changes from person to person based on personal preference, and you somehow linked it to your own shadow despite the fact that should be impossible. Though I do believe that it could be because one of your main elements is 'shadow'.]

"Oh. Nice. Though I am interested in why that's impossible, care to enlighten me?"(Neve)

And with that, we spent the rest of the night talking about magic theory until I fell asleep.

Chapter End

For those that don't know, The base I'm using is the Pathfinder Ruleset. Naturally I've heavily modified them, but most abilities you'll see me use are based around some sort of Pathfinder Equivalent. Hell, I'm even using a modified Heroic ruleset. 

Her ability to smell magic is half based on Shirou Emiya from Fate and half based on the Magus class's Arcane Scent Ability. Normally you won't get sickened if you detect an overwhelming aura with the ability, but I think that's stupid.

Neve is a custom race. I originally was using a Sylph stat block, but eventually decided to create a new race specifically for her.

Neve is heavily based off of a Poisoner Unchained Rogue + Winter Witch Multiclass character I created but never used as I have no friends that play Pathfinder.

Neve will be a skilled flier, she'll also be able to hide her wings but not her tail, not without some crafty thinking. 

1