Chapter 2: Violet Evergarden
81 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Suddenly a bear sized man walks in front of her. Rick not sure if it's a trap too decides to call it ma'am. "Sorry for being rude to your friend ma'am." Suddenly the giant and the trap go still. After a few stunned seconds of silence they hug each other and whisper talk.

"What do you think brother?"

"I'm sure it was just a coincidence."

"I'll just ask him."

Xio turns to Rick with a wide smile, expecting clear disgust. Rick of course doesn't really care. After all on earth muscular looking women weren't uncommon on earth. I mean sure this one could probably lift him with her pinky but she does have a vaguely femine figure and face. Her curves are rough but they're there.

She wraps her arms around her chest and leans towards Rick. "Tell me am I beautiful?" Rick just looks at Xio confused. He hasn't vomited? She thinks to herself. Rick honestly doesn't know what to say. On one hand he does have a muscle fetish but on the other she's a Wuxian. I wonder if I should pretend to be straight, he thinks to himself.

If this world is really based on ancient china than it should be rather homophobic towards gay relations that don't involve nobility. Good thing I'm bi, he thinks. "Yes?" Fuck it! I have the system protecting me!" I will fuck everything under the sun for I am half gay half straight!!!

Lin steps back. "Impossible!" Xio screams. Hugging each other they step back. "Sure. Anyways are you here to buy something?" Leave it alone Rick. You don't know if one of them will pull a sword out their ass or something. 

Xio and Lin go still. After a moment of silence Xio acts. She lifts her above her head and pushes her ass out. Lin fully expect Rick to run away. Rick, of course is just confused. "Summimasen Nani Dafuq?" He said unconsciously.

This time Xio and Han look confused. Rick just ignores that and asks  again. The pair look around the store once again before asking Rick what everything is. While Lin speaks Xio tries to flirt with Rick. "Forgive us for being so rude. I will buy whatever you recommend. Just tell me what it is I'm buying."

Rick smiles. It's been a while since I talked anime with someone. "I sell various novels and animations, as well as snacks. There is no proper way for me to describe these animations to you so if you'd like I could show a short example." He said fully prepared to convert them to the church of Madoka.

Unfortunately, Rick is right about anime. While written novels and stage plays do exist the concept of living 2-d art used to entertain instead of kill is unheard off. Plus the format for written novels is different from light novels. The things written generally involve documented wars or stories involving the heavens. As such it is extremely difficult for the locals to understand anime.

Lin hesitates before nodding. Rick, despite being happy to convert others knows that Madoka isn't suitable right now. He grabs a palm sized pearl from under the counter and decides which movie to put on. In the end he decides to put on the classic Rock Lee Vs. Garra fight from Naruto. Suddenly a small screen appears in front of the pair.

Panicked they try to launch spells at it. Nothing happens though. "........what?" That say. Suddenly they notice their cultivation is sealed. Slowly they turn to Rick, both terrified. Seeing this Rick thinks of the system. He temporarily shuts down the pearl.

The pair's fear grows stronger. "System Shut Down Whatever's Scaring Them." It should be fine. After all the system is basically god.

      [Deactivating Defense Module #10]

Xio and Lin instantly get their cultivation back. In response their fear grows even stronger. They are the strongest people on the planet. Crushing nascent soul cultivators with a thought is easy. They have hunted true immortals and played a role in destroying the heavenly court. Yet before this man, their cultivation is nothing.

Rick looks at them and smiles. "I'm very sorry. I mean no harm. I just want to sell my goods. As an apology I can give you something for free." The pair look at Rick bowing and calm down. The man in front of them may just be a high immortal here to temper his Dao Heart. 

This is not the first time the twins have had this happen so just act as they did every other time. "Thank you sir. Can you please recommend a novel. My favorite genre is drama for me and something with an emphasis on combat for my sister." The man in front of them is ordinary therefore so he will be treated as such. 

Rick starts to go through his favorites. For drama "Violet Evergarden", "The Faraway Paladin", "Gosick", or "Spice And Wolf" are good options. I guess his sister like Shonen? I don't know any good non Isekai Shonen so I'll just go with the "No Game No Life" novel and the "Death Note" manga 

"NGNL" and "Death Note" aren't traditional Shonen works, even so they can feel more intense than the traditional. Death note is a physiological dark mystery where the appeal is in the cat and mouse game between Kira and L. The MC's thoughts can be as scary as fighting a giant. It's fun to figure out Light's next move. The characters are well written and full of interesting interactions. Plus there's the almighty potato chip scene! 10/10 best psychological horror!

"NGNL" is closer to the traditional Shonen novel. Though instead of beating the crap out of each other the goal is to outsmart the opponent. All games with the MC's are intense and though the characters some characters like Jibril, the war mongering racist lolicon sex pest spends 99% of her time trying to get with the MC's, she does, like everyone else, have an interesting enough backstory. The dialogue can be funny and intense as well as emotional. Rick's personal favorite being Sora And Shiro's Imanity speech as well as Riku's rant to god near the end of the film.

The others follow most drama rules but each have their own appeal. "Violet Evergarden's" appeal lies in the MC's journey to understand her emotions. "The Faraway Paladin's" appeal is in the MC's more realistic actions in a new world compared to other isekai. "Gosick's" main appeal lies in the crime ridden world and the relationship between Victorique and Kujo. "Spice And Wolf's" lies in the MC's romance and the world building.

Rick tells the pair what he thinks. Xio ends up choosing "No Game No Life" while Lin chooses "Violet Evergarden". They thank Rick before they begin reading. They move to a nearby restaurant and read while eating. After an hour they finish reading the first volume of their books.

Just as Xio closes the book she goes still. Her wine pours into her pig trotters. Lin accidentally slamming her glass into her face. ".......Eh?" Lin said. "I'm smart?" Xio says while scratching her head. Immediately they inspect their bodies. Poison. None. Corrupted Chi Energy. Nope. Formerly unknown seal. None.

"...what happened to you brother?" 

"I seem to have mastered various unknown military combat techniques and strategies. I also have feint memories of how to create a new form of prosthetic and a typewriter. What about you sister?"

"I have a deeper understanding mathematics. I also seem to have a better understanding of probability and something called psychology."

The two stare at each other. Somewhat jealous Xio ask to trade books. Another hour is spent reading, though this time nothing changes for the pair. With glistening eyes Xio looks at the cover of  Violet Evergarden. Lin on the other hand has a slight blush. With a grin he looks at the cover. Just as he's about to speak feels something rise.

"Brother. These stories are so unique. Violet's story...her love for her commander. The tragedy of a child fighting in a war. The pain of finding something to feel in such a numbing world... brother. I love you."

Xio leaps across the table, her arms spread. Seeing his sister genuine care for him Lin smiles. Bang! The floor below Lin shatters as Xio lands. He gently hugs his sister back. "The story of Sora and Shiro's is also quite interesting. They remind me of us. Though, we're nowhere near as intelligent." Xio let's go and sits on another chair. 

Just before the shop owner can say anything Lin pulls 100 gold coins from his dimension ring and throws it. Ignoring the owner as he tosses himself onto the coins Xio speaks. "Hehe, certainly. The way they fight is so clever. I never knew such a simple of of...rock paper scissors? Could be so hard. I must say that speech was quite inspirational as well." Lin just smiles in response.

Silently they stare at each other. Suddenly they both stand up

"I have to know what Violet does as a doll!"

"I need to know how the beast men die!"

So the twins run back to the store. In less than half a nanosecond they're at the entrance. Just before they can walk in Rick notices them. With a wide grin he waves at them. Xio, in response bashfully waves back, her face a light pink.

They both walk in. Lin first runs to the nearest bookshelf and looks for every Violet Evergarden

Volume. Xio just walks to Rick. "Thank you. We both enjoyed your recommendations." She said with a slight bow. Rick seeing Xio's smile thinks to himself, I guess I don't like that pretty boy as much as I thought.

Suddenly Lin slams all 4 volumes of the series on the counter. "I want all this!" Rick just smiles in response. Nobody can escape the appeal of Violet Evergarden. "Would you like to purchase the anime adaptation as well?" Xio looks at Rick curiously while Lin aggressively nods

Before he tells them the price he places the holo-pearl on the center of the shop. Out of thin air he pulls out 3 recliners and sits. The pair looks at him confused until he signals them to sit. "Real quickly you should know that the anime covers Volumes one and two."

Lin doesn't respond. And so the episode starts. The meloncholic piano fades into existince as a crowd starts to form. Gentle lights fill the screen. A pair walk down the wet road, the stars shining on them. A man and a little girl. Suddenly she stops. She looks to a brilliant emerald green gem. A river of light circles within it.

The man stops and looks at the little girl. He says her name. Suddenly they go silent. As the man ask Violet what she thinks of the gem she presses her hands against her chest. It makes her feel and that's enough, even if she doesn't know it. And so the screen fades. Suddenly the screen changes to a small nursing tent. 

Xio and Lin look to the weakend and scuffed Violet and cry to themselves. Violet looks to her metal hands, her face still as ever. A man walks in. Immediately Violet ask about her commander. The man goes silent, his face pained.

And so the story begins. A wonderfully story that's driven countless to tears. Where the world is full of great beauty. The people are complex and their pains are real. The music is soothing or sad. It is an excellent atmospheric show that will drive your emotions. Wether it be through the tear jerking dialogue or the somber music, maybe even through violets simple questions and confessions.

"...Who is the author?" Lin says.

"Kana Akatsuki." Rick responds.

"Does she have any other works." Lin speaks with tears still dripping down his eyes.

"Yes actually. Though it's different from Violet Evergarden it's still a really good read. It's called, Shunka Shuutou Daikousha or Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter Agent: Spring Dance." Rick said before walking to the counter knowing full well that Lin will buy both volumes.

And as expected. "I'll take every volume!"

Hey Hey author-kun here and I'm just here to say thank you for reading. I'm really surprised that I got so many ready and favorites, though I'm glad because this means I can better spread the greatness of some of my favorite authors. 

As you can see this chapter covered Violet Evergarden. I wanted to post the kyoani physical store link so that I can help one of my favorite authors but it's been shit down. I wanted to add the authors social media but I couldn't find it :( .For right now I'll just leave a link to the kyoani sight itself. Once again, thank you for reading!

https://www.kyotoanimation.co.jp/en/shop/

Please follower their Twitter and facebook. Tell them I said hi and have a good day!

2