Vol. 2 Chapter 9 : Killing Intent
281 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Revlo narrowed his eyes into slits as he stared a hole at the large and armored adventurer in front of him who took his place in the line, Revlo was sure that this person did not line up behind him and recalled that he was waiting somewhere in the corner.

Revlo did not know who he was but after scanning him thoroughly with his spiritual sense, Revlo could tell that the large man was only in the third class of intermediate rank.

The large armored man obviously couldn't pick up Revlo's spiritual sense but he could pick up Revlo's cold gaze directed at the back of his head.

*snort

He snorted coldly and didn't even look back, as if he was saying that Revlo was not worth the effort in dealing with and was a waste of his time.

'What's his problem?' 

Revlo said in his thoughts as his face grew colder and his gaze turned sharper.

Even if this large adventurer was disdaining him, he still had Browny following him around like an obedient guardian, most people could tell that Revlo was a beast tamer just based on the fact that Browny was standing behind him.

That is why he brought Browny along with him to the adventurer's guild, it was to act as some sort of deterrence, Revlo knew the nature of adventurers that tends to oppress and push around newcomers, Revlo didn't want to go through that process because it was annoying and irritating to experience.

It was not like all their intentions were malicious or anything, some use this as a form of warning, to discourage newcomers from undertaking such a dangerous profession while others simply enjoyed the feeling of beating others down.

In a nutshell, most newcomers go through something like hazing, it was sort of like an unofficial test, if you can't even pass this then you shouldn't have become an adventurer in the first place.

Browny's deterrence only worked for a while, the people here didn't bother Revlo despite seeing how young he was, if he went alone then it would be a different story.

'He probably couldn't tell Browny's true strength'

Just like how those guards at the gate were too weak to sense Browny's rank, it was the same story here, horned bears are usually at the first-class of the novice rank but Browny was an exception, he was talented among the horned bears, and grew past the limitations of his species and became a master-rank.

Most probably thought that Browny was only at the novice rank as well, with the large man's intermediate-rank strength, to him, the horned bear was nothing more than a child in its eyes.

'A good show is about to begin' 

Revlo grinned menacingly.

Just as he was about to command Browny to deal with the rude adventurer in front of him, a girl's voice was then resounded.

"Hey, you! I saw what you did, how dare you cut in line and pick on that kid" 

The voice sounded pretty young, one could tell that it belonged to a young teenager, Revlo turned his head and looked at the source of the voice.

A 13-14-year-old girl appeared in his vision, she had white hair and amber eyes, she was wearing expensive-looking lightweight armor and had a golden spear on her back, she had cat ears on her head and a tail that symbolizes that she belonged to the beastmen race of the cat people tribe.

Right now, she was sending an angry gaze toward the adventurer in front of Revlo, one couldn't see his facial features because his head was covered by a helmet. he also turned his head around when this girl shouted at him.

'This girl is probably new here as well' Revlo said in his thoughts.

The treatment that Revlo got could be considered light compared to other newcomers who get beaten up for no reason but Revlo could tell that the catgirl who yelled was not an ordinary person because the moment the large adventurer saw her face, he visibly flinched and unconsciously took a step back.

Revlo manipulated a bunch of mana to his ears to improve his hearing ability and managed to hear a bunch of whispers from the surrounding crowd and was able to confirm his suspicions.

"Is that Lady Meona, the daughter of the town lord?"

"I heard she reached the Novice Rank at age 11, amazing"

"I heard some rumors that she wanted to become an adventurer since she was young"

"She caused her father a lot of headaches because of that"

"With that sort of talent, she could've enrolled into a prestigious magic academy for a better future, what a shame, I can understand why sir Baron Kiply would be frustrated with her"

"Shh.. keep your voice down, do you want to attract trouble?"

"Looks like someone managed to piss her off, I heard she is a justice freak, a crazed fangirl of [The Lightning Demi-God]"

"Holy shit, tone it down, do you want your head to be chopped off?"

Various murmurs could be heard, Revlo stopped paying attention to their whispers and focused on the young girl across him.

'Novice-Rank at 11 huh, not bad'

To most, reaching that rank at that age could be considered to be really rare, most people would become a novice at 13 to 14 but the town lord's daughter manage to achieve that rank 2-3 years earlier than others and because of that it wasn't anything strange for her to labeled as a very talented individual.

But on the Freedom Magic Academy where geniuses among geniuses gather like moths to a flame, that achievement could only be considered as only average, not anything special.

At least 80% of the individuals there had reached the novice rank at 11 years old, 10% would belong to the people who achieved that rank younger than that and the other 10% belongs to the students that reached that rank older than 11.

In essence, she would only be better than 10% of the students at the academy but it is an undeniable fact that her achievement was not something that most people could pull off.

'Second-class novice-rank, it would still take a while to reach the first-class' Revlo evaluated her level as he subtly scanned her.

Meona wasn't able to sense Revlo's gaze as she glared angrily at the heavily armored adventurer.

"Well, what are you still standing around for?" she said, the tone of her voice contained some reprimanding and her figure had a distinct imposing demeanor, as a noble, ordering people around was common for her so she used the same tone as she would when talking to her servants.

The adventurer gritted his teeth in frustration, being talked down like this by a kid was not a pleasant thing to experience, an intermediate-ranked champion being looked down on a puny novice rank was humiliating but if he talked back, there would be severe consequences.

The girl in front of him was the sole daughter of the Turron Town's town lord, in this place, he was an untouchable existence, a master-ranked champion, even though he was only a low-ranking noble, to the common people, he was an imposing figure that held some weight, if he picked a fight with that person's daughter, making a living in this town would become harder, there was even a large crowd spectating this event as well.

He had to discard his pride and backed off, his movements were stiff but not because of the armor he was wearing it was because of the tension he was feeling due to the situation.

He then sent a venomous glare toward Revlo. 

'That's right, this all happened because of him'

He felt so much rage and indignation that he was unable to make a logical judgment and point out his faults and blamed everything as well as directed his wrath towards Revlo, who didn't even do anything.

Killing intent started to seep out of his body.

Feeling the large man's glare and killing intent, Revlo didn't even flinch and glared back, he sent a killing intent of his own, Revlo didn't even do anything in the first place, it was due to the large man's actions that resulted in the situation that he got himself into.

The atmosphere inside the Turron Town's guild branch started to become heavy and everyone felt shivers down their spine for no apparent reason, it was like a horrible monster was in their midst and eyeing them like prey, a pressure weighed down on them like a heavy boulder just appeared on the top of their heads.

An instinctive feeling of prey being hunted down by a predator welled up in their hearts.

An adventurer's instincts were sharpened through numerous life and death battles and bizarre situations, so they were familiar with this feeling but never in their lives that they felt it at this much intensity.

'What on earth is this' 

That's what everyone thought.

The adventurer who was the target of Revlo's gaze and killing intent felt this more severely and up-close too.

When he gazed at Revlo's black eyes that resembled the pure darkness of the abyss, he felt as if his soul was getting sucked in, fear and the threat of death flooded his mind and the sweat behind his armored figure started trickling down on his body.

He unconsciously took a step back, it was different from that time with Meona, he took a step back because he was surprised by her presence but this time he took a step back because of genuine fear.

He was soaked in sweat and shivered, the way he looked at Revlo now looked like a mouse staring at a cat.

'This feeling' he thought.

This was the very same feeling that he would get whenever he encountered a monster that he couldn't defeat.

He then recalled a certain memory that he buried deep within his mind.

He was the driver of a certain carriage, he was undergoing an escort mission at that time and was only at the novice rank back then.

He looked to the left only to find the leader of the adventurer group that he used to belong in.

The face was blurry and he couldn't even remember what he wearing but he was sure that he was looking at the man that he admired the most, a master-rank champion.

But then, the scene changed, they encountered a monster on the road, it had sharp teeth, black skin, and red eyes, it also had a tiny yellow stone embedded in its forehead, it was only a single monster, a new species that they have never seen before, it was thin and looked fragile, so they underestimated it at first and the entire adventurer group along with the merchants got massacred.

Even his captain who he thought was all-powerful and always had a confident smirk on his face was being toyed around by this creature, with its sharp teeth, it only took one bite and body parts started to go missing.

Trails of blood, body parts, and intestines were flying around wherever that monster went, no matter what attack they threw at it, no matter what magic they threw at it, it didn't graze the monster one bit and they slowly despaired.

He was still young and this event traumatized him for the rest of his life, even now, remembering this scene reminded him of the scar on his soul that the monster put on him.

The gaze of a killing machine with no purpose but to massacre all life, this event left an imprint on the deepest parts of his mind that he was unable to get rid of.

He shrieked like a little girl and ran as far as away as he could as his teammates were dying one by one.

He didn't know why he was the only one who survived and why that kind of monster appeared before them and started killing everything in sight.

The monster scared him so much that he couldn't even think of getting revenge.

When he returned to the guild headquarters and told his story, parties of strong adventurers were deployed but the monster was no longer to be found like it had gone missing, vanished into thin air, and there was no news that it was subjugated.

This feeling of terror, he was feeling the same thing towards the 9-year-old in front of him, Revlo looked so small and weak but his figure seemed to have grown bigger, Revlo domineering aura overwhelmed him to the point that he was soaked in his own sweat.

'This kid is dangerous!' 

He listened to the alarm bells ringing in his mind, his brain flooded with chemicals that identified that it was in danger, he only hesitated for a second before he ran as fast as he could.

Revlo didn't stop him and didn't even look back, a recreation of the scene earlier but the roles were now reversed.

Most adventurers inside could at least figure out where that domineering aura came from and backed away slowly from Revlo's direction as their gazes turned wary while some who were unable to detect where that aura came from wore confused expressions.

The heavy atmosphere returned to normal as Revlo retracted his killing intent, there were no words spoken between the two but it was enough to write an entire chapter of a book.

13