Undercurrents 4
31 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Hmm...'this' seems interesting, what is it?" said Jinhai as he looked at a hawk like creature the owner had on a cage. It was about 30 cm tall with a grey feathers on it's head and black on the other parts of it's body. It's claws were sharp and it's eyes seemed to have some intelligence.

Seeing Jinhai interested in the creature the owners eyes shined and he merrily begun to explain "Ohhh, this dear customer is the menace of the south, the greatest predatory, and most loyal bird, the Greyhound Hawk. It's still an adolescent so it's not impossible to train it , but it'll be difficult.

2 gold coins."

*Squeee*

Jinhai stretched his hand towards it and it immediately took a threatening stance with it's wing's open making Jinhai smiled.

"It's indeed a good bird Jinhai, but it's also very difficult to keep it. The amount of food and the type of food a Greyhound Hawk consumes is very costly.... but if you want it?"

"Nie..." quietly said Jinhai as he shook his head " You've done enough for me, so you don't have to by it. I'm sure there are other things to b beside it..... isn't that right?"

Seeing the look on Jinhai's face the owner just nodded and continued to show Jinhai his other animals. From lizards with a bony protrusion in the form of a crown, a feline with two tails, an armored bear cub , to a spider that was the combination of three spiders, and to finally a huge scorpion. All these made Jinhai's soul sing as the feeling of seeing something so unique overwhelmed him, but he didn't find a connection to any of them besides the hawk.

"So, have you decided what you want to buy? Any of the merchandise suit your taste?"

"Hmmm.... well certainly all of them have caught my eye, but I don't think only of them are sutiable."

Hearing this the owner didn't seem that discouraged on the outside, but on the inside he was cussing at both Nie and Jinhai for wasting his time. "Well that is indeed unfortunate , but these are all that I can offer for now. If you want anything else I suggest you come after a month as that's when I'll get some merchandise."

"Mhhm.... thanks for your patience." said Jinhai as he got ready to leave , but was met face to face with Nie. 

"What...

"Why didn't you by anything even after all that time. I told you already, money isn't a problem."

"It's not that." sighed Jinhai " I just want to buy it with my own money, and not yours. "

"You really....haaaaaaa~

Trying to save every coin and never spending anything. Why can't you just embrace the opportunity and get what you want. Does it really matter that much if it's my money?"

"It does." said Jinhai as a matter of fact " For better of for worse it makes me feel as it I'm indebted to you, and I don't want them."

"You really.....hey owner, give me the Greyhound Hawk. I'm buying it!" suddenly said Nie as he headed to the stunned owner. He looked a little confused by the sudden decision and only said the price once again. Nie just nodded and took two gold coins from the inner pocket of his robe and handed it to the owner who after checking their authenticity happily gave them the hawk. In fact he was so happy to sell the hawk that he even inclined with it even some little non-venomous snakes to feed the hawk with.  With that the two of them left the stall and headed towards the teahouse they went yesterday, but some eyes had not let the purchase slip. Two pairs of greedy eyes were focused on them as they navigated their way out of the market, and seeing their looks they didn't hesitate to move.

...........

Two kids no older than 13, one boy and one girl moved stealthily through the crowd of the market and towards Nie and Jinhai who unfortunately for them were on high alert since yesterday, but they didn't know that and thought of Nie as the perfect target. An unfamiliar face in this city that spent their money so frugally was either a fool or the pampered son of a rich merchant that was passing through. Either one of those possibilities was good for them as they could get a quick buck, and they tried.

The girl started crying to get the attention of the passerbys, Nie and Jinhai included, while the boy sneaked behind to try to steal anything of value, but he saw nothing and clicked his tongue. He pushed his way through the crowd and with a quick movement of his hand he stole the money Nie had on his inner pocket and immediately ran as fast as he could.

".........

Nie who was too focused on what had happened to react in time couldn't say anything, but someone else was faster. Jinhai immediately kicked the ground at great speed less than four times and caught up to the fleeing boy, and with a push brought him to the ground.

"Ughhh....aahhh....

The kid was confused at what had happened and immediately tried to get up, but a leg pressed him on the ground, Jinhai's leg. Seeing this Jinhai was about to begin his monologue, but the girl who had been crying came screaming towards him with a stick.

"Yaaaaaaa.....

She swung the stick at Jinhai's leg which was pressing down on the boy, but she was slow and Jinhai just retreated his leg to doge it and pressed on the boy again. Seeing this the girl went for another swing to the head, but with a quick grab the stick had changed owners leaving the girl speechless.

2