Ch.8: Obstacles (2)
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next day—

Lear and Lucas took a horse-drawn carriage to the Arbane Medical Association, a meeting place for doctors across the United Kingdom. The topic of this meeting was guidelines for preventing serious epidemics. This meeting would be a seminar to discuss and present research that had been researched by various medical institutions. Therefore, this meeting was important a meeting that can change the world.

Today would be the last meeting. Today's schedule in the morning will be a presentation of research that Lucas's professor has conducted with a team of practicing physicians, of which Lucas was one of them. In fact, Lucas had to attend the event as well, but the professor told him to stay at the hospital to serve the patients who came to receive treatment. But now he left another doctor who was his friend to take care of him instead because he had an urgent need to come to Zeros city.

The hospital where Lucas worked was a small hospital owned by his professor. Hospitals here are not like other hospitals because here they charge very cheap medical fees or free if the patients who come in for treatment don't have the money to pay. The professor often told him that it was the doctor's duty to treat the patient, anything other than this, he doesn't care.

The first time Lucas heard this, he disagreed with the professor's ideas. But when he became an intern at this hospital, he also understood why the professor had thought that way. Because he saw smiles and got thanking words from the patients who came to use the service. Since then, Lucas believed, loved, and respected his professor very much.

“Miss Lear don't worry. The professor was a kind person. He must be willing to help us.”

Lucas spoke up when he saw Lear's nervous expression, which is what he saw she was nervous reality. Although she had encountered this situation many times in many novels, it seemed that this time was more special. Because it felt the influence of old Lear's emotions was more than usual, which she did not know why.

‘Why do I feel this uncomfortable?’

Lear thought with a serious expression on her face. But when she looked up to see Lucas's worried expression while he stared at her, she immediately smiled at him because she didn't want him too worried. However, the strange nervousness and premonition still did not go away.

----------

As soon as Lear felt that the carriage had completely stopped, she immediately knew that she had arrived at her destination. She hurriedly took a deep breath and adjusted her mood to normal. When she feel better, she turned and nodded to Lucas with a smile. It was a sign that she was ready.

Lucas was the first to get off the carriage to wait for Lear to get off the carriage safely. And as soon as Lear's feet touched the ground, she looked up at the large domed building in front of her with an excited expression.

'This is the Arbane Medical Union Assembly Hall? Why does it look so luxurious?’

Lear thought in her mind then she followed Lucas into the building in front of him with excitement and nervousness.

Lucas led her through the central hallway of the confederation, then led her in the complex ways. Moreover, inside this building, there are many rooms. Plus, there are so many paths that it makes her feel dizzy. If she hadn't been with Lucas, she thought she would have been lost definitely.

After following Lucas for quite some distance. She saw him stopping in front of a room at the end of the corridor. The sign in front of the room wrote the name, Professor Raquel Spencer.

'Hmm— this is Lucas's professor's name, isn't it?

Lucas turned to Lear for a moment before turning around and knocking on the door three times softly, then spoke up.

"Professor! I'm Luke, may I come in please?"

After that Lear heard a thumping sound coming from within. Before a man's hoarse voice sounded later.

“Come in.”

Lucas opened the door and stepped in with Lear. The sight behind the door shocked Lear very much when she saw the room was very messy. There was almost no way to walk on the floor because there were many piles of papers lining the room.

Besides, many books seem difficult to read that were stuffed in full arrangement on the large bookshelves that were placed against the walls of the room on three sides. In the middle of the room, it had a large work desk that was as cluttered as other places. So much that Lear could hardly see anyone sitting there because there was a large pile of documents stacked on the table. If she hadn't seen the moving human head emerge from the pile of papers, she probably thought that there was no one in this room.

"Professor— If you're free, please clean the room."

As soon as Lucas stepped into the room, he bent down to collect the falling papers scattered on the floor, neatly arranging them, and said with a weary expression. Lear agrees with what Lucas said too.

“Come on— Luke, you haven’t heard that a messy room always makes you creative.”

Raquel's voice emanated from behind the stack of papers at his desk. It's a sign that there's someone in the back.

“Wait a minute for me. I'm going to finish up the morning seminar summary report. Let's find a place to rest first.”

'So where are we going to sit?

Lear thought while looking around the room to find the place where she could lower her butt and relax as the owner of the room said. She sighed for a moment before feeling a strong nudge from behind. Then she found that Lucas had already prepared a chair for her to sit in one of the least cluttered corners of the room.

“What about you?”

She whispered to him when she saw that there was only one chair.

“It's okay— I can stand.”

He replied with a smile at her. Lear did not want to ruin his kindness so she sat down and scanned the room again to kill time. As for Lucas, he arranged for Lear's health certificate to be stamped.

“Alright— it's done. By the way, is it that you came to me because of the story that you wrote in the letter?”

Raquel spoke and rose to reveal the small figure of an old man with white hair and a long mustache, an unkempt beard like a wizard in a fantasy novel that Lear had read. However, his kind eyes made him far from being a wizard.

But as soon as the old man saw Lear's face, he immediately halted. His eyes widened in shock before speaking a sentence in a heavy tone.

“Sorry, Luke— I can't help you.”

 

 

 

 

To be continued...

0