Difference of Theory and Practice (3)
56 3 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The temple didn't give Lyn a moment to rest his mind. The physical fatigue that tended to disappear in an instant couldn't hold a candle to the mental stress his fighting style put him under.

Before anything, he check his system notifications.

['Beginner's Construct' skill has greatly increased in power!]

[Forming 'Intermediate Construct' skill!]

"Ahahah! Yes! Yes!"

['Blink Chain' skill has greatly increased in power! New 'Blink Delay' ability available.]

If this was the only prize Lyn received for killing his own clone, he would be more than satisfied with his rewards, but the grace of the system didn't stop yet.

[Congratulations on reaching Level 4!]

[Congratulations on reaching Level 5!]

"A-a double level up!?"

It was something that was supposed to be impossible. Unless he was fighting a horde of monsters that were each stronger than the last, such a level of speed couldn't be reproduced.

[Adjusting settings! Would you like to see the changes?] 

"No. Please not yet."

Lyn paused. He really did not want to fight so soon. Luckily for him, if he chose not to look or confirm any changes, he could keep his moment of peace.

He sighed thankfully, and opened his status window.

Name: Lyn Cypher

Magic Type: Life Force
Skills: [Intermediate Construct], [Deep Sleep], [Spark Barrier] LVL 3, [Blink Chain] LVL 3
Special Items: 
Race: Energy Being [Human-Based]

Level: 5

[Truly, I thought you would die before you leveled up so quickly.]

'How do I use a skill slot agai- Ah! There it is'

A list of three skills, like always, was shown to the expectant warrior.

                                                                                        Energy Manipulation [Buff] 

Your (target's) energy becomes denser. The power of attacks increase, but the speed decreases. Requires constant energy output.

So it returns.. I'll go for this unless both the other two offer something more.

                                                                                            Beginner's Fluid  

Much like the Aura trait, use your energy to make and maintain simple tools. It is recommended you create, and master using more weapons to further evolve this skill.

Another creation skill. If [Intermiediate Construct] wasn't telling enough, this one is must. [Energy Manipulation] has already lost this battle..

When the next panel revealed itself, a golden light began to shine. Lyn's expectations began to rise, could he really find a skill that trumped [Beginner's Fluid] in the same random roll?

 

                                                                                        [[Wings of Nike]

Grants the power of the ancient god of victory. Her title long stripped from her, her power floated aimlessly in the body of a husk.

The God of Victory..? 

Lyn wasn't completely averted to getting entagled with a God. He did not want to lose the opportunity to take the wings, blaming the possibility of the skill even appearing due to the influence of the temple.

"It couldn't hurt, right..?"

He selected the skill, and the air went still.

"I see you already destroyed your restriction, Cypher"

Crap. 

The angel's unforgettably clear voice called out to him. He didn't answer, without knowing what she wanted, he wouldn't speak first.

"Cypher, face me."

He turned around, putting on his best relaxed face.

"This place. How did you enter and what did you get from it?"

"I just walked in, and I got some fighting experience, you see I have t-"

"You.. just walked.. in?"

The angel's face darkened. Lyn couldn't tell what emotion she was feeling exactly, but he took a few steps back regardless.

"So the barriers we put up couldn't even stop you.."

Barriers? Were there barriers?

Lyn judged thinking out loud wouldn't be very wise in this situation, so similarly to last time, he only listened.

"It doesn't seem like it has given you items. You're.. Level 5 already too. It's been a month, isn't that quite.. slow?" The angel talked calmly and objectively.

"I'm working on that right now." Lyn responded, gritting his teeth.

"Not yet, that skill you have." The angel wouldn't let go of this opportunity.

"I can see its name, but I've never heard of a 'Nike'.. What does its description say exactly?"

An angel doesn't know a god?!

Although Lyn was none the wiser when it came to knowledge about the names of Gods, he would have guessed the angel knew everything there was to know. He did his best to paraphrase while adding in his own thoughts on the skill.

"It said something about it being related to the Calamity I absorbed. It claimed it was from an ancient god." Lyn normally would have left out small details if it wasn't for the expectant look in the angel's face. She could always tell when he lied.

"An ancient god. I see. Be careful of using that skill in other temples, then." In deep thought, the angel left without another word.

"So she does care.." Chuckling to himself, Lyn relaxed in the empty room again. It hadn't been long since he's been alone, but it was a welcomed change to receive company again.

When the air began to flow around him again, Lyn stared at the mural. It's display of his hardships was something he admired alone. 

"There's nothing in the world like this. It feels great to be something great.." With a small chuckle, Lyn prepared to step back into the dirt circle. He tested out his wings for a moment, but he wasn't too used to them yet. With time, very soon in fact, he'd learn just how to use them best.

. . .

[Recalculating Changes. Please confirm your details!]

He was shown his new status, reminding him he didn't use any stat points. 

Maybe after my next battle I should be able to more accurately invest, the stats I need grow naturally anyway...

Without too much worry, Lyn confirmed his Status and Stats, and waited for the system to complete its process.

[Mirror of 'Lyn Cypher' re-registered!]

[Difficultly: Level 5!]

As the clone descended, Lyn stared at the majestic green glow of it's wings. The now repaired black gear and the chilly, unemotional gaze of the clone was wildly different from the beast he fought before. 

"It's too different this time but.."

After contemplating how he fought, Lyn thought the more beast like clone was a better resemblance of himself than the distinguished mercenary that stood before him. Lyn was sure it had the same skills as him, but it's use of them were most definitely a higher level.

"...It's not nearly as overwhelming." Lyn stepped forward, now truly prepared for the fight, and the trial began.

 

Rng-!

The clone went for a fatal move first. What looked like a spear grazed his spark barrier at eye level. Its face crumpled when the attack didn't work.

Lyn chose to activate [Wings of Nike] and uses [Blink Chain] to rise into the air as quick as possible. The clone watching this created a barrier behind his back with cube constructs. When Lyn's mace smashed into them, there were only small cracks that couldn't be taken advantage of.

The clone effortlessly push the Lyn's body back with the constructs. Although Lyn used [Blink Chain] to return to his former position, the blocks still slammed into the dirt circle's barrier with force.

"Damn, we're just back at the beginning."

Lyn had no clue how to tackle this, and the clone could tell he was searching.

It thought for a moment, and created a giant hand. It moved towards Lyn who easily dodged it, worryingly so, when he noticed the clone had moved. Another hand came towards Lyn from behind, but the clone dashed towards him from the front.

He tried to use [Blink Chain] and teleport through the hand, but the clone followed, and the hand shifted directions, leaving him in the same predicament.

He tried smashing the hand with his mace, but it only left cracks which were quickly repaired.

Just getting through the hand doesn't help.. but there's no way I'm going to take that thing on!

The clone now looked determined. It moved with only after calculating how Lyn would react. Its tactics were easily outmatching Lyn's instinct, since they weren't on equal grounds to begin with.

"It's like it's toying with me.. but it leaves no space unguarded."

Lyn had no choice but to fight head on, but he wanted to do anything but fight in the clone's preferred battleground. 

Lyn decided he would try his luck with a new strategy. He created two hand constructs, both with construct maces in hand. He armed himself with two maces as well, and steadily walked forward.

The clone, however, didn't sit idly while Lyn did this. Cube constructs sprouted from the ground like rapid plant growth, trapping the hands inside. The clone attempted to do the same to Lyn but again he used [Blink Chain] to get away. 

"If this was a real battle, I'd have left this to someone else by now. At this rate, it'll be a standstill until I just give up my life."

Lyn was stuck, so he began to replicate how the clone acted. He easily created the cube traps that the clone did, using it as a platform and to immobilize the giant hand the clone created earlier.

Hahah, it's not impossible if you just lose? Is that what you're telling me? 

Lyn wasn't the type to just give up. In the end a direct clash couldn't be help so he rushed in with two maces. 

The clone created two one-edged swords and the two clashed. Although the clone was slightly faster than Lyn, [Spark Barrier] and [Wings of Nike] were perfect for stopping any stray hits. 

Noticing the small difference, Lyn activated [Deep Sleep] and staggered the clone. In that short moment, it couldn't defend-

"[Intermediate Construct]! [Split]! [Mana Flare]!"

Lyn unloaded everything he had, creating thick sharp triangles, and unleashing a burst of mana right at the clone's face.

For the second time, Lyn was victorious.

 

0