The Punishment Should Fit the Crime
2k 17 72
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Disobeying the orders of the clan head is a serious offense, and I believe it deserves a serious punishment. We should give them thirty lashes and confine them in their rooms for an entire month,” said Wu Wei. He was glaring at Wu Jian and Wu Meiying as if their very presence was an insult to his ancestors. His words also made the blood drain from Wu Jian’s face.

Lashing was a punishment typically reserved for someone who had disgraced the family. The offender was stripped bare, tied to a post, and given lashes with a whip in front of the entire clan. Wu Jian had only seen someone get lashed once in his entire life. The person in question had killed someone during a sparring match out of jealousy and rage. They were lashed, then had their family name stripped from them, and were sent into exile.

What was his name again? Wu Quan? Qing? I can’t remember.

It happened when he was just three years-old, so the memory was fuzzy.

“I believe Elder Wei’s punishment is far too harsh,” said Wu Jinsu. He tapped his finger against his armrest as he spoke. “While disobeying the clan head is indeed a serious matter, what they have done is no better or worse than what many of us have done in the past. Do you not remember when I disobeyed the previous clan head? He told me not to sneak into Wu Mulan’s room, but I did anyway. A far more serious offense than what these two have done. I was not given thirty lashes and confined for committing such an offense. Why should they?”

Wu Wei seemed surprised that Wu Jinsu would stick up for Wu Jian and Wu Meiying, for his eyes widened, but then they narrowed in anger as he slammed his hand into the armrest.

“When you disobeyed your father, it was merely because of your feelings for a woman,” he said with a snarl. “Wu Jian and Wu Meiying endangered everyone by climbing that mountain as they did. Are you seriously telling me such a dangerous action doesn’t deserve a severe punishment?”

“They have no idea what is up there. You cannot tell me that their ignorance should be punished when we ourselves are the reason for it,” Wu Jinsu said in a mild voice.

“I agree with Wu Wei,” said the second oldest among the elders. Wu Nin looked between the people present to make sure they were all paying attention to him. “Yes, it is true they are ignorant, but that still doesn’t excuse the fact that Wu Jian and Wu Meiying disobeyed the clan head and exposed us to danger.”

It sounded like there was something dangerous on the mountain that he, Wu Meiying, and the rest of the Wu Clan were unaware of—but the elders and clan head probably knew about it. Wu Jian wondered what sort of danger was located on that mountain. However, right now, he could not afford to even think about going back to discover it, whatever it was. He needed to survive his punishment before thinking about anything else.

He kept his head bowed and continued to listen as the elders discussed his and Wu Meiying’s punishment.

“Is that really the reason you are so adamant about punishing him?” asked Wu Jinsu.

“What do you mean by that?” asked Wu Wei, narrowing his eyes.

Wu Jinsu spread his arms and smiled placatingly. “I mean nothing by it. I was just noticing that other clan members have committed similar offensives and not been punished this badly. I simply cannot help but wonder if you want to punish them for reasons beyond what they did.”

“Are you accusing me of being unjust?!” asked Wu Wei.

“You are the one who said it, not me,” Wu Jinsu said.

Wu Jian was surprised by how Wu Jinsu was sticking up for them; it was enough to make him wonder if he had misjudged the man.

While he was the clan heir, Wu Jian didn’t have many dealings with the elders, so he didn’t know what kind of people they were, but he always had this image of them being stuffy old codgers who were too caught up in their own power to see what was beyond their noses. Of course, his opinions were based on Wu Meiying’s opinions. She did not like the elders. He had the feeling she did not like elders period, regardless of what clan they hailed from.

Wu Wei’s face burned red with anger. He looked like he might pop a blood vessel.

When deciding on the punishment for someone who had committed a crime against the clan, first all three elders needed to agree on a suitable punishment and then the clan head needed to also agree. If even a single elder or the clan head disagreed, then a different punishment was decided on.

Wu Jian thought he sensed something wrong with the way Wu Wei and Wu Nin were acting—Wu Wei especially. He would admit that what he did was wrong. Heck, he even regretted ever agreeing to travel up that mountain thanks to what happened, but it wasn’t like he had done anything to betray the clan. It almost seemed like there was another reason Wu Wei wanted to punish him so badly.

“Not only do you want to punish them with a month of confinement, but you also want to give them thirty lashes,” Wu Jinsu continued. “A punishment like that is something normally reserved for the adults of the clan. Punishing a child with lashes—and thirty at that—could adversely affect their development. You can’t possibly tell me you approve of potentially leaving a sequela on the heir of our clan simply because he committed an offense—his first one, I might add.”

Wu Jian had read about sequelae. They were defined as adverse conditions that made it difficult for a person to cultivate thanks to previous injuries and diseases. A person with a sequela would find it a lot harder to break through to the next realm in their cultivation, according to the manual.

Now that he had been cornered like this, Wu Wei could only click his tongue and look at Father, who had not spoken a single word at this point. The man sat in silence. His stern expression made Wu Jian look away.

“What do you think, Wu Yōushì? I know he is your son, but surely you won’t play favorites by going easy on him and his… friend.”

The way Wu Wei said “friend” as if it was a curse caused Wu Jian to frown, but he held his tongue and remained where he was. As he watched the proceedings with his head still bowed, he caught his mother staring at Wu Wei with pursed lips. She was watching the man like a hawk.

I wonder what Mother is thinking about…

Father breathed in, held it, then breathed out. “Considering their age, lashes would be inappropriate, and do not forget that a precedent has already been set. Five years ago, your grandson committed a similar crime and got off with one month of confinement. Since that was your grandson’s punishment, I believe a similar punishment will be fitting for this occasion as well.”

Wu Wei did not look satisfied by this decision, but he sucked in a breath, reclined back in his chair, and let all the air out of his lungs with a sigh.

“If that is the decision of the clan head, then I can do naught but abide by it. However, I do so under protest,” he said.

“Noted,” Father said. He then glanced at Wu Nin. “Do you have any objections to this decision?”

“No, Lord Yōushì,” Wu Nin said, shaking his head.

“Then it is decided.” Father drew himself up and stared down at Wu Jian and Wu Meiying. “Jian. Meiying. You are both confined to your rooms for thirty days. The servants shall bring you food and fill your tubs once a day so you can bathe, but you will not talk to them or anyone else until your confinement period is over.”

The decision had been made, and while it sounded horrible to Wu Jian, he felt he was getting off lightly after listening to what Wu Wei wanted their punishment to originally be. He looked over at Wu Meiying, expecting her to feel relieved like him. Instead, her face was pale and drawn.

“Th-this is terrible,” Wu Meiying said the moment they left the meeting room. “Jian… Jian, how am I supposed to live if I don’t get my daily dose of Jianinium? I’ll wither away without you.”

“I do not know what Jianinium is, but I do not believe you will wither away if we don’t see each other for a month. You’re exaggerating,” Wu Jian said.

It was early morning now, and Mother was escorting them back to their rooms. They were traveling to Wu Meiying’s compound before heading to his. Several guardsmen watched them as they walked past. The light from the sun was just beginning to peak over the mountains to the east.

“I am not exaggerating. You’re my light. My life. A Wu Meiying without a Wu Jian is no better than a corpse,” Wu Meiying declared. She sounded almost proud.

Wu Jian gave her a troubled smile. He felt similar in many ways. Wu Meiying was an inextricable part of his life. They had been together for as long as he could remember, day and night, through thick and thin. Imagining a life without her caused his heart to grow cold. But he still thought she was exaggerating.

“I’ll give you two a minute to say goodbye to each other,” Mother said. “After that, you won’t be able to see each other for a month—oh. And Wu Meiying? No sneaking out of your room, okay?”

Wu Jian and Wu Meiying stiffened when Mother said that, all but admitting she knew Wu Meiying had been sneaking out of her compound and sleeping with Wu Jian every night. But all his mother did was smile and wink mischievously.

Since both now understood they really wouldn’t be able to see the other, Wu Jian and Wu Meiying turned to face each other and embraced. The warmth emitted by the other person made them tighten their arms around each other. This would be their last hug for a month, so it needed to count.

“I guess… we really won’t be able to see each other again for an entire month,” she whispered.

“Yeah…”

“Be sure to keep training even though you’re confined to your room.”

“Don’t worry. I will. Promise.”

“Good. And don’t forget to use that lotus we found. I don’t know what it does, but it’s surely powerful. I can feel it.”

“If I can figure out how to use it, I definitely will.”

“I guess that’s the most I can expect.”

“Yeah.”

“I… I really don’t want to let you go.”

Wu Jian felt the same way Wu Meiying did, but he also felt like her feelings were even stronger than his. There was a desperation about her that he did not have. It worried him, frankly. He wondered if maybe Wu Meiying had seen something that was causing her to act like this. Could a recent vision have worried her? He wanted to ask, but…

“Wu Jian, time to go,” his mother said, interrupting his thoughts.

“Okay.”

Wu Jian and Wu Meiying parted slowly, reluctantly. Wu Meiying’s lips were trembling, but she kept the tears that wanted to fall from leaving her eyes. He felt something stab his heart at the sight. However, just like her, he sucked in his feelings, smiled, and walked back toward his mom.

His last sight of Wu Meiying was of her disappearing into the compound.

“Gosh, you two are so utterly in love with each other, it’s hard to believe you’re both just children,” Mother said as she escorted him to his compound. She placed a hand on her cheek and presented him with a mischievous smile.

“You think so?” asked Wu Jian.

“What are you puffing out your chest for? Is that something to be proud about?” asked Mother, amused. “But yes, it is very strange how close you two are. Most boys and girls your age do not get along nearly that well. Of course, I don’t blame you. Wu Meiying will be beautiful when she grows up.” She reached out and ruffled his hair. “Be sure to take care of her when the time comes, okay? If you don’t, she might leave you for another man.”

“Yes, Mother.”

They passed by a garden covered in snow. The motes and streams that normally flowed through were frozen over, but they would thaw in another week at the latest. They were lucky. Further north lay Ice Phoenix Mountain, which was frozen year round. He found himself staring idly at an icicle hanging from a tree branch.

“Also, I want you to be wary of Elder Wei,” Mother said.

Wu Jian frowned. “But isn’t Elder Wei a member of our family? Why should I be wary of him?”

“Just because he is a member of our family doesn’t mean he has your best interests at heart.” Mother glanced around for a moment, then walked a little closer and spoke in a much softer voice. “Wu Wei was originally set to be the clan head. However, your father returned from serving the Emperor, challenged him for the title, and handedly defeated him in combat. That earned him the position of clan head and also Wu Wei’s enmity. I’m sure Wu Wei still remembers that humiliation. I believe he is trying to repay the favor by making it so you cannot become clan head in the future. He probably wants to make his grandson, Wu Fei, the next head of the clan. So be careful of him from now on.”

“I promise to be careful,” Wu Jian said at last.

Mother smiled at him. “Good. Ah. It looks like we are here.”

They had reached his compound, so Mother escorted him inside. When they got to his door, she bade him to turn around, gave him a hug, and slipped something inside of his bag. He blinked at the additional weight that caused his shoulder to sag, but he didn’t say anything about it.

“Train well for this next month. Confinement may seem like a punishment for many, but it can also be used to your advantage, if you know how,” Mother said.

“I understand, Mother. Meiying said the same thing.”

“Little Mei is quite the smart girl. You should listen to her.”

Mother left the compound soon after, and Wu Jian entered his bedroom. The first thing he did was remove his pack and set it on the floor. Attached to the bag was a scroll. He removed his cloak, hung it up, then grabbed the scroll, which he unfurled and read.

“This is… Silver Lotus?”

The scroll contained details about a plant called the Silver Lotus, which was a rare plant that could only be found in cold climates. According to the scroll, the Silver Lotus helped cultivators at the Body Refining Realm by increasing their strength, the hardness of their muscles, their density, and also their flexibility. There were several different parts of the plant that were valuable: The stamen, the stem, the petals, and the seeds. Each part gave different benefits.

“Mother… thank you. I will definitely train hard this month,” Wu Jian said in determination. Just then, he released a loud yawn.

Before he trained, he was going to get some sleep. He was exhausted.


I think Wu Meiying is my favorite character to write in this series. She's a funny girl. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the chapter. Thank you for reading.

Please remember to like and bookmark this chapter. The more readers who press that heart button, the more visibility this story gets. I think it would be nice if a bunch more people could join us.

Spoiler

♦__♦__♦

Special thanks to all my Helpful Slime Patrons. They have decided to support me without asking for anything in return.  Jordan Lee, Damian Paradis, Dylan Suomela, Josh Lamsdale-Loyd, and Vikks Hallowhaunt! Thank you so much! You are the freaking best!

I also can’t forget to thank my other patrons. They’re the ones who made this web novel possible. My Human, Yuki-Onna, Nekomata, Succubus, Alien, and Kitsune-tier Patrons. Everyone who supports me is the backbone of my endeavors.

Read 45 chapters ahead on my Patreon!

Follow Me!

 | Check Out My Light Novels! | Brandon’s Discord | Twitter (Warning, I Sometimes Tweet NSFW Content) | Facebook | Instagram |

My artist has a Twitter!

| Michiroon |

[collapse]

72