Rude Awakenings
57 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Author's Note = Okay, so I was VERY VERY NERVOUS about this chapter when writing it so I would deeply appreciate any feedback from all you beautiful readers, thank you and please enjoy.

 

Rude Awakenings:

(Earth #8189, Just outside New York City, New York / January 1st, 2013)

 

The morning comes with little fare, its light blocked by a thick overcast sky of choking ash and dust. Aiden’s restful sleep is shattered by the sounds of crying and angry shouting. Aiden awakens to see Jay punching Ash full force in the stomach as Tristan holds the scrawny younger boy in grabble rendering him even more defenseless than he already was. Ash cries out in pain as Jay’s fist connects with his stomach, knocking the air from his lungs.

“Let him go Tristan!” shouts Ven pleadingly as Sarah cries loudly beside him.

“Goddammit Jay, leave him alone!” cries Sarah at her older brother pleadingly.

“She's right, guys. Just leave him alone," orders Terra walking over and placing himself between Jay and the struggling Ash in Tristan’s arms as she activates her powers turning her skin to metal once more. Jay considers punching Terra square in the jaw but reconsiders in order to avoid shattering every bone in his hand.

"What the fuck you little faggot? What were you doing in my best pal’s bed like that?" shouts Jay. Aiden now having a complete grasp of the situation springs into action firing an impact-bolt of ecto-kinetic energy from his hand, knocking Jay back several feet as he draws his weapon with his other hand. Aiden fires a single shot from his Hardballer Pistol at Tristan’s feet. A warning shot to ensure he has everyone’s undivided attention.

"Calm down Jay. I am not going to ask you a second time," demands Aiden sternly as he turns the gun on him.

"Let go of Ash or I’ll drop you," continues Aiden with a deathly glare at Tristan. Tristan lets go of the Ash and backs away from him slowly, hands in the air.

"Ash, get behind me," says Aiden warmly. Ash does as he is told and takes cover behind him.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to start any trouble," mutters the small-fry meekly.

"It's okay," replies Aiden smiling cheerfully as he plays with Ash's hair for a moment using his empty hand. Aiden turns his gaze back to Jay and Tristan.

"Obviously there are some angry and confused feelings being felt right now but this is hardly the right way to handle the situation. Do I make myself clear, Jay?” Aiden scowls at Jay sternly.

“Now I am going to lower my weapon and we are all going to calm down and discuss these feelings as a group in a chill and civilized manner, understood?” presses Aiden firmly. 

"Aiden's right Jay. You need to calm down," shouts Terra firmly.

"Please Jay." pleads Ven.

"Fine." hisses Jay, clearly still pissed. The group packs up and proceeds out of the cave. They look out at the once-great New York City now reduced to a massive crater of destroyed buildings and still smoldering ashes stretched out below them. No one speaks. There is nothing to say. No words are adequate to describe what they are all feeling at the moment. They all just stand there in silence for a moment.

"Come on you guys. Let the souls of the city finally rest in peace" says Ven reverently as he turns and walks away from the city gesturing for the others to follow. After a few hours of hiking, they come to a small abandoned wilderness campsite with some tables and benches.

"This looks like a good spot for us to rest and have our group chat," suggests a now much calmer Sarah who makes her way over to a bench and sits down gesturing for the others to do the same. They all take a seat around the wooden table in the center of the small campground. Ash sits down next to Aiden, nuzzling his arm.

"Now Jay, would you like to start by explaining to me what happened before I woke up that led you and Tristan to attack our little friend here?" asks Aiden coolly. Jay stares at Ash with disgust before turning his rage-filled eyes to Aiden.

"How about you explain to me why I woke up and found you and that little faggot lying half-naked in each other’s arms? What are you Aiden, some sick candyass or somethin?” responds Jay.

"I have never tried to hide my bisexuality so it’s not my fault you never noticed. Either way, my sexuality is none of your business.”

“Well for the record, I am not going to judge. I have had my share of fun with both men and women and I have no real preference either way. Both are fine with me." proclaims Ven, contributing his two cents to the conversation as he offers a suggestive wink at Terra, then Aiden and then Ash. Terra giggles, winking back to him while Aiden just rolls his eyes and Ash blushes.

“Come on Jay, think back on all the things you and Aiden have been through together. You guys are best friends. You guys love each other. Are you going to throw away your friendship with Aiden just because of his sexuality?” chimes in Terra.

“Leave it Terra to play the ‘Friendship’ card” responds Jay running his hands through his hair as he lets out a deep sigh. The frustrated young man takes a moment to collect himself as he thinks about all the things that he and Aiden have been through together and how they have always protected each other.

“If you are really my friend my sexuality should make no difference to you." presses Aiden in a warm yet stern voice. Jay finally turns his attention back to his best friend.

"Besides Jay, if it wasn't for Ash you would still be suffering after that Sniper Round you took to the arm when we were fighting that Battle Mech. It was Ash who gave me the medicine that fixed your arm so quickly” explains Sarah to her brother.

"Alright fine I'll leave the little bitch alone and I'll try to accept that my best friend is some kind of faggot or half-faggot but don't expect me to like it" shouts Jay in surrender.

"Fair enough" responds Aiden nodding to Jay before turning to the rest of the group.

"Now it is my understanding that we must discuss the location of the ones who took Edward. Ash, you said we are likely to cross paths with them right?" inquires Aiden causing the smaller boy to stop nuzzling him.

"Well, they would have been forced to make their way out of the city just like us and in most likely the same direction. However, we camped out in that cave last night which means they may have been able to sneak by us but this would only give them a minimal head start. However, they would have also been looking for a suitable location to rest just like we did. Actually, come to think of it, since we took the cave the next safest place for them to set up camp would have been here. We should search this area for clues that they were here.” explains Ash as they all stand and begin searching the area for clues. Tristan walks up to Aiden with his head hung low.

"Look pal, I am sorry for how I reacted this morning. I shouldn't have attacked the little guy like that. Please forgive me and please apologize to him for me." begs Tristan, clearly ashamed of himself. Aiden smiles at him and nods. After about twenty minutes of searching, Sarah starts shouting for the others to converge on her location.

"I've found something, it's a Z-Phone III" sings Sarah, beaming with glee at her accomplishment as she turns to the rest of the group showing them the smartphone.

"That's big brother's, nice job Sarah," responds Ash excitedly as he takes the phone from her and opens it.

"He left a text message on the screen for us, it says Z.I.B.S. #12" continues Ash showing the message to Aiden.

"Great but what does that mean?" asks Terra curiously as Aiden shrugs equally confused.

"It's a Zorrin-Industries Black-Site Number. One sec” Ash pulls out his own Z-Phone and starts searching through various files on it. “Ah here it is. This Black-Site is not far from here. Clearly, Edward wants me to go there.” replies Ash.

"A Zorrin-Industries Black-Site sounds good because in case no one has noticed we’re low on ammo and it's only a matter of time until we run into more undead or worse more of those fucked up psychos." chimes in Ven reloading his weapon and readying it. The rest of the group nods in agreement.

"Then it's decided, we head for the black-site," replies Aiden as he turns to Ash and the others.

“Alright everyone, let’s move out. Weapons at the ready” continues Aiden as Ash takes point, guiding the group north towards the black-site.

0