Vol. 2 Chapter 13- On the Precipice
28 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“STOP!” Came Azrath’s voice, cutting through the wind. Noel obeyed, screeching to a halt.

“What’s wrong?” she asked. She looked around to gauge her surroundings.

“We’re here.”

“Oh, okay.”

Noel reached behind her and felt the cold metal of the staff, just to check that it was still there. She continued to look around but saw no one. 

As if in response to her questioning, Azrath pointed a talon at a tall chain-link fence topped with barbed wire. “He’s through there.”

No sign said, “keep out,” but Noel didn’t need one. She knew what barbed wire meant. Beyond the fence lay endless stacks of shipping containers as tall as a house. She had seen them individually around Davenfield, but Noel had never seen so many together. She could see a path between two stacks of crates. That would be her way through. But first, she had to get over the fence. 

Noel thought for a moment, considering the height and distance between her and the fence. There was a metal road barrier between her and the fence, but that shouldn’t be much trouble. Her problem was height, not distance. She hadn’t been able to clear a car last time she had tried jumping, but she had attempted a long jump. What if she tried for a high jump this time? And if she failed again? Well, hitting a fence was much less dangerous than hitting a car. 

She could always just climb it if she didn’t make it, anyway. The barbed wire wouldn’t hurt her now. Nodding to herself, Noel let go of the staff and planted her feet. 

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Azrath looking at her. He was obviously aware that she was about to do something crazy. “What are you doing?” he asked, his voice a mix of concern and sternness.

Noel smiled a little. “Just watch.”

He looked worried, but he stayed silent. 

Noel made one last mental measurement before she charged. Right before running into the road barrier, she leaped into the air, twisting her body so that her back was parallel with the ground. From the corner of her eye, Noel could see both Azrath’s astonished face and the top of the fence several feet below her. She grinned as she easily cleared the fence; she was at least ten feet in the air. Usually, Noel would have stayed prone and let the safety mat catch her, but the only thing below to catch her this time was hard concrete. So, she maneuvered her feet so that they were beneath her. Her feet met concrete, and her knees bent to take the impact. Noel straightened and raised her arms out of habit. She had stuck the landing!

“Impressive,” said Azrath, flying over the fence to join her. He was somehow able to carry the staff between his talons and remain airborne. 

“Thanks.” She held out her hand for the staff but waited for Azrath to drop it before calling it to her. “I’m pretty sure I beat my high jump record.” She was pretty sure that was a massive understatement, but she had to be humble somehow. 

“Congratulations for whatever that means,” he said, landing on her shoulder. He sounded a bit sick. The reason became clear as his eyes darted from her to the shipping crates ahead of them. 

The mysterious Hidaar was waiting for them somewhere within that maze of boxes. For her. Any excitement Noel had felt with testing out her abilities died as she stared at the space between the stacks. She swallowed. Then came Azrath’s voice.

“Are you scared, Noel?”

Noel jumped, nearly unseating Azrath from his perch. She glanced at him. “W-what? No, of course not.”

“It’s okay to admit it,” he said as he continued to stare into the unknown, “I’m scared. For myself and you.”

Was it Azrath that was quivering? Or was it her making him?

“But we have Urzuran’s power!” she said, more to reassure herself than him, “I just have to believe in myself, right?”

“Right.” 

He didn’t sound confident at all. 

It wasn’t too late. This was Noel’s last chance to turn around, go home, and forget this ever happened. Azrath wouldn’t think any less of her for it. But would the Hidaar? Noel had a suspicion that he could sense their presence. If she left, would he follow? Maybe it was too late, after all. 

Noel sucked air through her nose, taking in the smell of steel, oil, and a third smell she didn’t recognize. Then she took her first step in over her head. 

2