The Sick Girl
1.7k 7 39
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Making his way to a church, could be seen a young man with chestnut colored hair carrying an equally chestnut colored girl. His expression showed the great worry he was experiencing. Worry that could be inferred, was for the well-being of the girl he was carrying.

The young girl had a feverish complexion, and was panting while resting on the boys back. Looking at the rather disparate expression on the young man’s face, it was clear that the situation was becoming rather dire, and most likely the girl had been in such a situation for a while now.

“Don’t worry Rose, you’ll be cured soon. And then I’ll take you out to explore the city, just the two of us.” Told the young boy to Rose, in a clear attempt to raise the girls mood.

The girl however, appeared to be barely conscious and disoriented as she let out some incoherent mumbles in response. Hearing his sister's lack of response, the boy picked up his pace as he approached the church where he had placed his hopes on… 

Passing through the open door of the building, the boy looked around and began walking in the direction where a large group of people were gathered. He was quite surprised at the set up, as there were a large amount of chairs for people to sit in. There also seemed to be two robed men, most likely belonging to the church, who seemed to be keeping order in the area. Not soon after he had walked in, one of the robed men approached the boy as he asked him, “What’s wrong with her? Is it caused by injury or disease.”

A bit surprised at being abruptly approached, the boy froze momentarily before snapping out of it and answering, “My sister here has been sick for the last week now, and it’s only getting worse. Please… please help her.”

Nodding to the boy, the brother answered, “Alright, why don’t you follow me.”

Obediently following the brother, the boy followed him into a room as he stood a bit confused at the sight before him.

Entering the room, he was greeted by a slightly cramped space occupied by a few raised shelves filled with potions, while under the shelves was a long counter. There was also a wooden bed for patients to lie in, as well as two wooden chair, and a desk filled with papers towards the back. However, the part that confused him the most was the sight of a young elven girl who looked no older than his sister that was behind the desk. She had the long pointy ears common in all elves and was currently wearing a white hooded cloak with its hood down, allowing her brown hair to flow freely for him to see. Turning her head to look at them with her green eyes, the elven stood up and changed her gaze toward the brother as she asked, “Michael, what’s wrong with the girl?”

Answering her, Michael responded, “She seems to have contracted an ailment over the last week. And it appears that it has been getting worse over the last week.”

“I see” responded the elven girl. Then turning to look at the young boy, she stood up and began making her way over to him as she quickly appraised him. Seeing that he was most likely a traveler who had recently arrived in the city, the elven girl asked, “Can you tell me where you’ve passed by and where her symptoms first appeared from?”

Answering the young elf’s question, the boy began to explain how they had embarked on a journey from a small island in the neighboring kingdom with their destination being the country of Actia. Since they had to pass by this kingdom in order to get there, they had accepted a job escorting a merchant caravan to Dene. For the most part, the journey had gone smoothly. However, last week while they were still on the road making their way, his sister had started to show some symptoms of sickness, although it didn’t look like anything serious. At least that’s how it was until two days ago, when her countenance suddenly took a turn for the worse. Since they were on the road, and he was not from the area, he wasn’t exactly sure where they were at when this happened, but they had arrived just a few hours ago to Dene and he had immediately made his way here after his friend had heard that this church was curing quite a number of the common folk.

While listening to the boy’s recount, the elven girl began to apply healing magic to Rose while Michael made his way outside and back to the large hall. After having healing magic applied to her, Rose’s complexion began to immediately improve and by the time her brother had finished recounting the story, she had regained her consciousness, even if she was still a bit dazed. Since the boy hadn’t answered one of her questions, the elven girl asked again, “I see. But, did anyone else also exhibit similar symptoms?”

While he felt some incongruity at answering questions to such a young girl whose youthful appearance made her appear as if she was playing at being a doctor more than anything, the boy decided to ignore this feeling as he answered, “No, she was the only one like this. There were a few others who had some signs of being sick, but they all got better after taking a pill given out by the merchant. My sister also received the pill, but-but she didn’t really get better from it. So I think she got something different than them.”

Nodding in response to the boy’s answer, the young elf made her way to the shelf as she began to look at the different potions before picking out one with a milk-white colored liquid inside. White she was doing this, Rose looked at her brother as she asked in a hushed tone, “Hey… is she the one who cured me?” asking with some incredulity in her eyes.

Her brother simply nodded silently ascertaining her question as the girl felt slightly surprised that someone who appeared to be her age appeared to be so capable. Coming back with the vial, the girl took out a spoon as she filled it with the liquid inside the vial before holding it out to the girl and saying, “Please open your mouth and take a drink of this. It’ll taste slightly bad, so please don’t spit it out, that’s just how it is.”

Then motioning for Rose to open her mouth, she drew the spoon to her mouth as the girl closed her mouth and had her face contort at the rather unpleasant taste of the liquid. Holding that expression on her face, Rose swallowed the liquid with great theatrics as her brother looked at her with scolding eyes that told her to be a bit more proper and to not put on a show. Feeling slightly guilty about her overreaction, Rose adopted a more serious expression as she opened her mouth to reveal an empty spoon. Taking the spoon out, the elven girl took out the spoon and placed it on the counter as she turned to the two and with a smile said, “Well, she should be fine after a day of rest. If her situation somehow takes a sudden turn for the worse, please come here to me and I’ll take another look again.”

Although he still couldn’t help feeling that it was rather strange that such a young girl was acting in such a manner, the boy didn’t let this show on his face as he replied with a bright smile on his face. “Thank you very much. Truly, thank you very much for helping my sister.”

After a nudge from her brother, Rose also spoke up as she said, “Uhh, yes. Than-thank you very much for helping me…”

With a smile on her face, the young elven girl simply told them to not worry about it as she opened the door and let them out of the room. Coming across brother Michael, who was guiding another patient to a different room, the boy paid his respects to the man before walking out of the church grounds. Pleasantly surprised at how quickly they had been able to receive help and now in a happy mood as he walked with his sister towards where his childhood friend had headed towards before they parted… 

39