Chapter 5: Rebecca
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While the crew of the Appalachia was planet side on Sortis they were unaware that someone was listening in on their com channel, and was very intrigued by what was going on.

In a small shuttle in docking bay 74 in the space station in orbit around Sortis sat a young girl with long red hair who was about 18 years old. She had fair, pale skin, and stood at about 5'6". She wore a plaid skirt with white stockings, and black shoes. She also wore a black vest over a white blouse, and a blue hair band to keep her hair out of her eyes which were a brighter blue color that would remind you of the sky if you saw them.

This is Rebecca Powers. Child protege, computer genius, talented hacker, information broker, and completely bored with her seemingly uneventful life we're all ways you could describe this girl who had no interest in being just a regular member of society. She wanted adventure, and her forays into "impossible to hack" cyber security networks to obtain sensitive data were barely entertaining enough to keep her from going insane with absolute boredom.

While sitting back in a computer chair with a sucker in her mouth she listened to the com chatter between members of the Appalachia's crew, and used the AGI security network to watch events as they unfolded. She sat in front of several monitors that she had hooked up to a small quantum computer that was plugged into the stations power grid.. She had been siphoning power from the stations power source for quite some time, and spied on several "secure" channels in her spare time to learn the dirty secrets the groups and organizations on Sortis were hiding.

Several days earlier she had intercepted a transition from one of AGI's private communications terminals that was sent out to what seemed like a random ship out in the ether at the time, but once she heard the details of what they were planning the conversation began to leak her interest.

She hacked into the com frequency being used by the AGI employee, and used that to hack into the comms system of the Appalachia. Now she knew everything that was going on, and she knew every detail of their plan. She had actually put pressure on their contact in the station who was going to deactivate the tracker on the tech they had stolen from AGI to ask them to move to docking bay 74 after landing and dropping off the case. Their contact was told to say this was so they could throw AGI off their scent which was partially true, but it was also so Rebecca could stowaway on their ship. She wanted a new life full of adventure, and this was the crew she wanted to join.

She had made a name for herself as the infamous Magus who sold information on the black market to several different groups both on Sortis, and within the surrounding systems. She went with the name Magus because it accurately described her skills with computers, and just like many of the names of locations in this system it was Latin.

It was also a name that might inspire aww, and give off a sense of mystery, or at least that's what she intended anyways. However, most people thought it was just kind of dorky, and believed that Magus was probably just so geek with absolutely no social skills trying to pull one over on everybody. Nobody told her this directly; mainly because she never met anyone in person, and only spoke to her clients through computers, or com links. There was also the fact that she was a good source of information, and obviously talented at her craft so people wanted to keep "The Great and Mysterious Magus" on their side.

It wasn't long before the Appalachia entered a random docking bay, and dropped off some of the crew to meet with their local contact. Immediately after landing The Owl, Blackbird, and Harpy got off the ship, but not without reminding their pilot Scarecrow to meet them in docking bay 74 to make their escape.

As the crew was heading down to the cargo bay Harpy was accentuating how important it was for Scarecrow to meet them at docking bay 74.

"If you're late this time Hendrick's a swear I'll send you flying into the deep void of space with my mech", Harpy threatened irritated with Scarecrow’s antics for the last time. "I swear this is the last time!"

"I know, I know docking bay 74. I heard you the first time you threatened me. I'll skip around to a few different ones before I get there too just in case someone from AGI sees the ship." He stated giving off a tone of annoyance that they were continuing to micromanage him.

"Just don't be late Hendricks" Harpy shouted before dropping the platform in the cargo bay.

Once they stepped off the platform and onto the station Scarecrow pushed the button in the cargo bay to raise the platform, and reseal the cargo bay grumbling the entire time while he did it.

Just like he said, Scarecrow moved around between several docking bays while the rest of the crew was getting the tracker deactivated until he finally ended up in docking bay 74.

Once he landed Scarecrow decided to stay in the cockpit. He placed his feet on the dashboard and started playing music off of his wrist watch. He was an avid fan of dubstep, but the Owl had very different tastes in music, so he had to keep his own music on his wrist watch.

After listening for a few seconds, he turned off his music and switched over to the comms channel. "Hey Harpy, I'm all ready to go just like I said I would be. I'm just waiting for you guys", he said in an overly dramatic tone hoping to get under her skin just a little.

"Good we'll be there in five minutes", she replied pleasantly surprised, but also half doubting that what he was saying was true. "Make sure that you put the platform down before we get there so we can make a quick escape, and don't leave the cargo bay until we get onboard. We don't want any stowaways."

Meanwhile, when Rebecca saw that the Appalachia had landed in docking bay 74 through the stations security camera she saw her opportunity to sneak aboard the Appalachia, and finally begin her new life of adventure.

0