Chapter 11: The Captain’s Choice
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After hearing everything Rebecca had to say the captain was sure he didn't want to bring this random girl into his crew. All though he did think she would fit in pretty well with his eccentric crew he was concerned that she wouldn't be able to take care of herself in a fight when things got rough.

He had already lost one talented hacker recently due to their lack of combat skills, and he wasn't about to let himself lose another, especially one that could still have a bright future.

"ANDI I want you to stay here and watch the girl", he commanded before motioning to the rest of the crew to follow him out into the next room.

The rest of the crew followed the captain out of the room leaving Rebecca alone with the combat droid, and convened out in the common area in front of their living quarters. There weren't any chairs, or anything to fill up the empty space so most of them just stood or leaned against wall with the exception of Hendrick's who sat against the wall instead.

"So let me hear it! What do you guys think?" The captain asked hoping to get some constructive feedback from his crew.

"The girl has confidence in herself that's for sure", Hendrick's admitted. And I believe her when she said she's a talented hacker. How else could she have gotten on to this ship, and know about the setup by Tranquil Blue. I mean come on; she'd be a great asset."

"Oh, please Hendrick's", Morgan interjected. "You'd welcome anyone to this crew if they had a pair of tits."

"Hey I'll admit she's cute", he conceded, but that's not it. She has skills that we need, and she sought us out. That doesn't happen often, or not ever. I think she could be invaluable."

Seeing how serious Hendrick's was Morgan conceded to his point. "You're right she could be useful, but she could also be a hinderance. She doesn't have any combat skills, and if she's in danger it'll be up to us to protect her. We can't afford to have any non-combatants on this ship", she declared adamantly.

"I'm a non-combat", he reminded her. "All I do is fly the ship."

"Yeah but that's different", the captain interrupted. "You were trained by the military, so you know how to defend yourself, and we keep you sharp with plenty of training exercises."

"Maybe, but you guys can train her", he suggested, “just like we did with Mikey."

"You forget that Mikey was a special case", Rodriguez asserted. "He was created in a lab, and had enhanced strength. Even without any combat training he was a force to be reckoned with."

"And if we had waited until he had some more training before bringing him out into the field with us he probably would have survived", the captain added.

"We'll then we can have her train with us on the ship, and then bring her on missions when you feel like she's ready," he argued. "Come on guys this is too good of an opportunity to pass up."

The rest of them just stood there still thinking it over in their minds unable to get over their reluctance to take her onboard.

"Listen guy, Hendrick's began to speak again, "I miss Mikey the rat too. He was a good guy, or rat man, but we've got to move on. Missions just aren't as effective without a computer expert, and one just fell into our laps who is really enthusiastic about joining us."

The captain mulled it over in his head for a few seconds, and then suddenly sighed. "Okay Hendricks you win, he conceded, I'll let her join the crew if she proves she can handle herself. When we finish this mission we'll go back to Sortis, and see what she's got, but for now she stays on the ship in those handcuffs understood."

Everyone nodded and the crew began to walk back up to the cockpit.

Everyone in the crew minus ANDI had left Rebecca handcuffed to one of the seats in the cockpit, and while she was waiting for them to return several thoughts were racing through her head.

"I killed it! Obviously they'd want me. I'm incredibly talented, I'm a genius, good at thinking on my feet, and pretty good looking to if I do say so myself." While thinking this she couldn't stop grinning, and noticed that the droid was just standing there staring at her without making any moves.

"You know the way you just like stand there is kinda creepy", she claimed while leaning forward to get a closer look at the droid. "You should really learn to smile or something so you look more human."

"I am the Advanced Networked Defense Intelligence. I am programmed to provide combat analysis support, and participate in combat operations. Nowhere in my programming does it say I need to look more human."

"Maybe not, but it'll help you look less creepy"

"Will "looking less creepy" help me perform my duties at a more optimal level?"

"It will when you're working with organics. If your teammates are scared of you how are they supposed to trust you? Besides weren't you trying to emulate the captain earlier when he was dancing?"

"Acknowledged, I tried emulating the captain because I thought the crew might think it was funny. Studies have shown that laughter can help humans de-stress, and trust leads to better team cohesion which ultimately leads to better communications and results in team environments."

"See, so try smiling why don't ya."

ANDI attempted to move its lips to form a smile, but was unsuccessful due to the fact that it didn't have any joints that would allow it to make a smile.

"Error, apparently this unit is incapable of smiling."

"Maybe you can try talking more like a human, then people will begin to feel like they can relate to you more."

"I will consider this", ANDI replied. "Can you teach me how to talk like humans?"

"Yeah sure."

Just as Rebecca said that she saw a flash outside the window of the cockpit. She wasn't able to get a very good look at it since she was cuffed to the back seat, but she knew it had to be a ship.

As it came closer she began to see more of it. Based on the size, and semi-rectangular shape of the ship’s hull it was one of humanities ships. However, the black belly and crimson head of the ship suggested that it wasn't under EGF control.

0