Chapter 18: Sabotage
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rebecca and Bar-moon were planning on infiltrating the ships engine room in hopes of causing more chaos to buy them time before help arrived. It was a heavily guarded facility, but at the moment it was the only facility they could get to without running into more pirate patrols.

So far they didn't really have a long-term plan, and we're just doing things on the fly while trying to avoid getting themselves cornered. They returned to the panel that Bar-moon was working on early and used it to cut off the power to the lights in the engine room. They knew this would draw more attention to their current location, so they destroyed the panel and doubled back towards the maintenance closet.

They duct into the closet, and let a patrol pass them by before they proceeded down the corridor to another panel. Luckily, Bar-moon had a detailed knowledge of many of the ships systems since he was one of the brightest engineers the pirates kept on their crew, so sabotaging the ships systems would be pretty easy for them as long as they didn't get caught.

Bar-moon led Rebecca to another panel that was connected to the door controls in that section of the ship, so when she managed to hack in she managed to close all of the blast doors separating and trapping various different patrols while giving them more room to work with. She implanted a back door she could use in the system so she could access it remotely while they were on the run, and continued to follow Bar-moon to sabotage more systems.

Now that they had control over the blast doors they circled back to the engine room, and initiated their plan to draw the pilots outside and trap them in the hallways. Rebecca waiting in the maintenance closet while Bar-moon offered to draw them out.

Bar-moon crept up to the engine room door and managed to open it without drawing too much attention. Thankfully, all of them lights were off in the engine room, and most of the pirates guarding the room were in close proximity to one another. Bar-moon managed to get two shots of and hit one of the guards before storming off back towards the maintenance closet.

There were four guards who decided to pursue him, but he managed to lose hide away in the maintenance closet with Rebecca before any of them could see him. When the four guards came up to it two of them decided to continue on while two others decided to check the closet itself.

A few moments after the other two guards ran off Rebecca sealed the set of blast doors closet to them cutting them off from the other two, but she still had to find a way to deal with the two standing right outside the door. They didn't have any other choice besides taking out the guards themselves, so Rebecca unlocked and opened the door and immediately charged at one of the guards punching him with her fist. Thankfully, Bar-moon managed to just barely shoot the other one in time before he could react.

With those two guards down, they returned to the entrance to the engine room to see how many guards remained. From what Bar-moon could remember there were usually about 8 guards on duty at any given time in the engine room with around a dozen engineer slaves including himself.

Rebecca had decided to grab one of the pistols from the two guards they had just taken out, and determined she'd need it if their plan was going to succeed.

When they approached the door to the engineering room they saw that it was still wide open, and there were about five separate flashlights moving about the room. One of them was pointed down towards the floor leading up to the door, and there was a single guard walking along the catwalk that was leading to the entrance.

The room was pretty large being anywhere from 2-3 times the size of the cargo bay of the Appalachia with a couple massive engines standing about 10 feet apart from one another with the two of them taking up half of the room. The entrance led to a series of catwalks that were suspended about 20 feet over the floor of the engineering room, and there were two stairs on the far end of each side of the catwalk the each descended in a u shape.

They spotted a couple guards walking up the stairs, and the one who was patrolling the catwalks turned to face them. Seeing a good opportunity to strike Rebecca pointed her gun at them and tried to shoot at all three of them. Unfortunately, Rebecca had no idea how to properly shoot a gun so two of the three shots missed, but one of them did hit the guard who was initially patrolling the catwalk.

As for Bar-moon he was able to take out one of the others, but the last one managed to take cover on the stairwell placing the two groups in a standoff.

Rebecca was about to rush in when Bar moon stopped her. "Stay back. If you charge out there he'll have no problem gunning you down before you even get to him."

Another guard ran up the opposite set of stairs, and Bar-moon managed to almost hit him. Once Bar-moon missed the pirate retreated back down the stairwell, and they were left at a standstill unable to get an angle on any of the other guards.

That same guard came back up the stairs, but this time he had one of the engineers in a headlock in front of him.

"Is he using that guy as a shield?" Rebecca asked surprised by the cruelty these pirates were showing.

"Yes, that's Ti-bar." Bar-moon stated with a sad look in his eyes. "Poor kid."

The Ophthalian the pirate was holding looked pretty young. In fact, he was probably around Rebecca's age. His head looked like that of a salmon except his scales were green and had blue eyes, and just like Bar-moon he had a collar around his neck.

Bar-moon tried several times to see if he could get a good angle on the pirate holding Ti-bar, but the other pirate hiding on the opposite stairwell started getting bold. The pirate came up the stairs to the catwalk, but Rebecca had a good angle and managed to shoot them a couple times. However, the pirate holding Ti-bar continued approaching until they got about 5 feet from the door.

They continued shooting through the door in Rebecca and Bar-moon’s direction leaving them without any chance of popping their heads out to try to shoot.

Suddenly the pirate stopped firing, and they both hear the sound of a body hitting the catwalk.

0