Chapter Five: One Who Visits a Town pt.2
15 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Ughhhhhh..." I sighed in boredom. It has been almost an hour, maybe even longer, yet Lia still hasn't finished this ceremony. Do all religious things take so long in this world? But I shouldn't complain about it. I believe religion is a serious topic, especially for a priestess like Lia, and I must endure this boredom for my savior. "Right, friend?" I asked the machine standing next to me.

 

It didn't even flinch. I guess it has its way of entertaining to endure these boring waiting sessions, but I would much prefer if it talked to me or did anything except fight. Of course, if it weren't for its combat abilities, I would be killed by that half beast, but would I be too selfish to want more?

 

"You know." I turned towards the metal thing I decided to call machine. "I always wondered what would be my power if I ever got reincarnated, and I always hoped something cool, like a samurai with a magical blade that can cut anything, or perhaps an unstoppable warrior with a will to move mountains, but a summoner. It was a quiet surprise. It is not like I have grunge against summoners, but it doesn't feel that cool when you have something do all the action instead of you."

 

Of course, the machine didn't even bother to show a sign of acceptance or refusal of my thought, but it is it, and I must get used to it, or I will keep bored when I am alone, which I hope won't happen too often. I am still thankful to the gods, but I wish they have given me a better guideline. I can't even control it. It just pops out when my ass is in danger.

 

"All my children, may our goddess protect all of you." I heard a loud voice coming from the ceremony room next to me. I suppose they are close to the end.

 

"Amen!" All people inside the ceremony room said at the same time, then several rings of a bell followed. Around ten seconds later, the sound stopped, and people began leaving the room. Starting from who I assume is the highest-ranking member of this temple, then others, and lastly, Lia.

 

I got up as I saw her leaving and began moving towards her. She looks happy, and her happiness gives me joy too.

 

"Sorry to keep you waiting here." She lowered her head to apologize, but she was still smiling. I don't know what they did inside there, but, once again, I am glad she is happy. "It took a little longer than I excepted." She added.

 

"Don't worry." I waved my hand a little. "I wasn't bored or anything. I waited longer for some very unnecessary thing in the past. You can say I even have immunity." I waited seven hours in the queue on EIREN ONLINE's launch day. I just waited and didn't do anything except read the constantly changing number under the "People in front of you in the line." Of course, I cannot tell that her. First, she doesn't know what an MMO is. Secondly, it is a little embarrassing.

 

"I am glad I didn't cause you too much problem. I have good news! I don't know if you are aware of it, but after every ceremony, we have a big meal with everyone, you wouldn't want to miss Preistess Eris's pastries. She is the best." Lia grabbed my left arm with both hands and began dragging me through the temple corridors.

 

Because of her sudden move, I forgot to grab my ax from where I was sitting. "Lia! I forgot my ax." I tried to stop her, but she didn't listen to me. Are those pastries really that good?

 

"Don't worry," Lia said with a cheerful voice. "Our metal friend can carry for you."

 

And the machine who wasn't answering my orders decided to grab the ax and follow us. How funny. That could be because my orders are stupid, something it cannot do, but!

 

After moving through several corridors, we finally arrived in a large hall with a massive table in the middle, and there were at least fifty chairs placed around it. Members of the temple are constantly walking inside the room, carrying something or fixing utensils. They are almost like drones, but not in a bad way. I mean organized and effective as one.

 

"Welcome to the dining hall!" Lia shouted with both her hands open in the air. I don't want to break her excitement, but the whole place is not that big. I've been into larger dining halls, one example being the high school I was going.

 

"Compared to your house, this place is massive. Just the dining hall is large as the whole garden," I said, but I think I sounded too bored. I must act like I am excited about this place. At least for Lia's sake.

 

"Yes, it is!" Thankfully she is still too happy and energetic. "When I was a child, I often got lost in the place, and a large group of priestesses always tried to find me at the end of the day. But let me give you a secret, it would always be the Head Priestess Maria. I don't know how, but she would always find me, and act like she was scolding, so she could save me from the wrath of all the priestesses worried."

 

"Wow. That must be nice to be surrounded by so many people caring and loving you. This place is really the best, isn't it." And I am saying this wholeheartedly like she was just a stranger, and they cared for her more than my family cared for me. Well, I guess my genius brother was a better long-term investment anyways.

 

"Heyyyy." Lia grabbed me from the face. "Why the long face. Did I say something bad?"

 

I pushed her hands away and laughed. "No, no, you didn't. Thank you for worrying. I was just a little sad about my parents and how I was the ignored child of the family, but it is over now. I am far, reallllly far away from them."

 

"What a bunch of... Bad people."

 

I began laughing again, this time not to my pitiful self but to Lia and her funny way of avoiding saying a bad word to my jerk parents.

 

"Now that's not really good of you! But I know just the thing to fix you. Dinners ready, and one thing I learned from living in this town is, whenever you have a family problem, like kids bullying you for being an orphan, I ate food, and it always worked!"

 

One of the priestesses walking by heard our conversation and grabbed Lia's cheeks. "And those are the fruits of that. My dear, I hope you are not trying to eat much food as you can whenever you feel down at your house!"

"No! I don't." Lia tried to escape from the hands of the priestess but failed. "But please, it hurts. I don't have that much food anyway."

 

I barely stopped myself from bursting out a laugh, but what can I say. Everything becomes livelier around Lia. "Well, if you are finally getting all the years of avoided scolding, I am sitting on the table." I waved my hand and began walking towards the table in the middle.

 

The priestess holding Lia's cheek smiled at me and nodded. "Do as you please, young man. And, now back to you, young lady. What do you mean by I don't have enough food for that! Are you implying you are struggling with mental problems and hiding them from us! But I guess you are, considering how you began visiting us less frequently than before."

 

I looked at terrified Lia once more, then sat on a chair pointed to me by a priest. I hope she escapes from her lesson because the food here looks fantastic.

 

                                                                                                                       ***

 

And after a more than hour-long dinner, we finished eating, and everyone began getting up and helping to clear the table. I tried to help too, but Lia insisted if she made me work even the slightest as a visitor, older priestesses would scold her again, so I decided not to help even though I wanted.

 

Without having anything else to do, I exited the room, where an elderly woman in slightly different temple clothes was inspecting my copper recruit. She looks curious about the thing, maybe more than I am.

 

"May I help." I approached her.

 

"Oh, pardon me, you must be the visitor Lia brought with you. I was trying to understand whose this metal summon was. You know it has a weird aura, almost like it was of a hero, but I couldn't put my finger on it." She grabbed the recruit's arm and lifted it to look under it. I don't know why.

 

"Well..." I cannot deny this now. This thing will follow me anywhere anyway, and I need my ax to buy clothes. "I might be the one responsible for this creature. It is not a bad thing, is it?"

 

"Oh, heavens." She grabbed me by the arm and began dragging me through the temple corridors. "My stupid girl Lia, she should have told me that when she first arrived. How did we miss such an honorable guest? But I think we did a pretty job at preparing food, didn't we." She smiled.

 

"Can't deny that, but madame, please stop dragging me."

 

She released her grip. "Sorry for that, but I want to talk to you, and no one in the temple must hear what I say, so please follow me fastest as you can, okay."

 

I nodded and followed her through a long corridor till we arrived at a large door with a woman statue built in the middle. I feel like this place is a personal shrine.

 

"Soo did Lia figure out that." The elderly priestess asked me.

 

"Well, she did. She even saved my life after I fell from the sky and broke all my bones." I give out something that resembles a laugh to lower the trauma of that day.

 

"Of course she did. You know that girl is special, even the most talented and hardworking of religoush followers don't possess such ability don't listen to her humbleness, and I think it is gods doing for both of you to find each other, a hero from another world and a young gifted priestess, so tell me your story, who you are, and stuff like that."

 

I took a deep breath and gathered my courage. First impressions are vital. "My name is Lex, and I got summoned to this world, but I don't know why. I encountered Lia on the first day in my world. She nursed me back to health, and I saved her life with my ability. Oh, about that." I looked at the recruit who followed us all the here. "This is copper recruit, a loyal soldier of mine."

 

"Well, it is good to meet you, Lex. My name is Maria, head priestess of this temple. And my boy, I must warn you. I've been a loyal servant of Goddes Of Light for more than sixty years, and even I struggle to tell the difference between an outworlder and a native. So listen to my words carefully. Our dear Lia is unique, as you may already learn, even at this young age, and only someone who is very skilled or very experienced like me can match her skill in healing. But she is wasting her talent in lands like these. Couple of years ago. Many strict followers of gods, including me, saw a dream. An evil omen is coming to this world. Our higher-ups ordered us to shut our mouths, but I think you and Lia might have a role in this prophecy."

 

"Soo, what should I do."

 

***

 

And only half an hour later, I find myself dressed up, given a backpack filled with supplies, a proper sword instead of my ax, and a badge of temple knight. Lia is also a victim of this sudden preparation as they forced her to wear a formal temple dress and gave her a backpack filled with supplies and a religious tool that makes divine magic easier to use.

 

Our mission is to go to the capital, enter the Grand Cathedral Of Light and deliver a letter to the current highest-ranking member of the religion, and while Lia doesn't know the exact reason, I know. Or I think I know. Madame Maria believes in her prophecy. So to stop that wicked future, she sends us on a journey. What a start to adventure! Now I am hyped up!

 

"Now, kids, I want you to deliver this since you both seem to be doing nothing. I need both of you to be very careful. And Lia, my girl, take this journey as an opportunity to see the world, and if you find the chance, study more powerful magic. Back to you, Lex. If you both come back, and I see even the tiniest bit of scratch in the body of my dear, you are dead, my child."

 

We both nodded our heads and moved out of the town after giving out the last goodbye. I only knew these people for half a day, and I am sure I will miss them.

 

"What a sudden pain." Lia began whining. I can understand her. One day, she meets me and almost dies, then she is sent on a long journey. "What do they mean by I eat so much. I am in perfect health for my age, and I already burn enough fat by helping people with magic! Am I right, Lex."

 

I raised my hands like someone who surrendered to the police. "You are right, Lia. I think you are on perfect weight."

 

"That's what I say!" She pouted.

 

I began scratching my cheek. "So, Lia, are you excited about this trip or at least surprised."

 

"No, not even a bit. Lady Maria always told me I might visit the capital for a special reason one day. Actually, I am surprised. But in a good way. I was expecting a lonely trip, but now I have a friend with me."

"Good, and you know she knows I am from another world. Right?"

 

"Of course I do! I would be surprised if she didn't. Lady Maria is one of the best in the world. Believe me about that. Now, where is the south? We must head there."

 

"Lia."

 

"Yes, Lex."

 

"How far is the capital." I desperately asked.

 

"Well, I don't know, but it couldn't be too far." She reached into her pocket and pulled out a map. "Let's see."

 

I moved next to her to look at the map. "Hmm." I am pretty sure Lia lacks the ability to read it. You may ask how I know that. Well, the makers of EIREN ONLINE once did a treasure hunt event with a real map you need to read to find objectives. So, I learned how to read one to get my hands on the sweet, sweet pirate-themed loot.

 

"Lia." I grabbed her shoulder.

 

"Lex?" She looked into my eyes.

 

"Lia capital is almost a thousand kilometers away!"

 

"Wow, that's lots of distance. Is it right? I am not good with numbers, sorry."

 

I palmed my face and sighed. "We have a very long way to go."

0