Hellschool – Clans Pt. 1
329 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sound of wood and flesh smacking each other was constant withing the auditorium darkened abode, the training had begun almost immediately with Marco holding nothing back as he trained the residents relentlessly so they could hold some semblance of a fighting chance. Victor was in and out of the room often sneaking, stealing, or trading for more items so their meager armory wouldn't look as dilapidated as it was even Frida was helping out rationing supplies and ensuring all of the essentials were diligently met. Even Gwen had gone out with a couple of scouts to plan their best method of attack, yet Max simply sat with Tasha crafting more makeshift bandages from cloth straps and draining the sap from the succulent plants that were on the brink of death.

 

The work was long and grueling with each bandage seeming sloppier and sloppier by the minute, Max couldn't help but wonder and worry for the group. After seeing how mutilated and frightened one of the rats was after crossing the figure Max could only imagine what would happen if the entire clan faced him, not only that but she was still curious. Just who or even what exactly was that guy, he was clearly a rat, but he was strong enough to make any clan want him so why was he staying with the rats, it made no sense. Eventually, Maxs’ train of thought was broken after Tasha called her name, staring at her friend she could see the mildly perturbed look in her eye as Max realized she was now slathering the floor in aloe vera sap. Stepping away from the bandages Max headed over to Victor to see how he was coming along only to hear a mass of swears and grunts coming from his direction.

 

Peeking through the absurd amount of overlapping curtains Max watched as Victor struggled endlessly wrestling with the sharp bundles of copper wire and paper clips as their ends continuously poked and prodded his flesh as if testing to find some means of entry. Throwing the wire down with a huff of frustration Victor looked up from the pile of copper and silver immediately startled by the intrusion of Maxs’ curious head. Letting herself in Max carefully stepped around the piles of wire and scrap nudging a few scattered screws and nails with her foot so she could have some small area to sit without being stabbed by the menagerie of oblong pieces that covered the area. Max stared at Victor and it was clear that he was ill-suited for the task that was given to him, true he was a talented craftsman but once again a limited number of resources crippled his ability greatly making it a struggle even for him. As the two sat in the closed-off area silence stole their speech for a tie leaving them in a point of rumination that is until Max asked Victor if he’d seen the hooded figure.

 

“A guy in a black hoodie with a Berus… I think I've seen someone like that, but I just assumed they were a part of the pops or MVPs since I always see one of their members hanging with them why do you ask”

 

“Because I'm pretty sure that he's the leader of the rats”

 

“Leader of the rats? You do know that almost bey definition rats don't have leaders”

 

“I know but haven't you noticed that you see fewer rats fighting and more of them in packs”

 

“Well it could be preparation for the oncoming clan war, desperate times call for desperate measures”

 

“True but how come I'm the only one curious about this guy I mean have you seen his magical power he could be well on his way of reaching level 5 “

 

“Yeah, but he isn't remember. Just like how the committee turned the area within the dome into a biome they also set a limit to your level, so no matter how much XP you gather you won't level up”

 

“I know but still if we're going against a group of rats shouldn't we scope out their strongest member first”

 

“Isn't that what the scouting team is doing”

 

“No, they're just casing their hovel of a residence trying to find a good method of attack “

 

“So you're asking for me to drop everything I'm doing and go with you on the hunt for some kind of rat king because you don't believe well win”

 

“N-no I didn't mean it li-”

 

“I'm in”

 

For a second the confirmation seemed to cause Maxs' brain to process the exchange while Victor quickly began arming himself with a small assortment of impromptu knives and bombs, staring at Victor Max quickly brought herself together and stood up ready to begin her investigation until she was stopped by Victor. She stood cautiously as victor carefully fixed her hair and as he stared in her eyes, he simply gave her a solemn pat on the shoulder before heading out. Twisting the fringe of her hair between her fingers Max could only feel discomfort and unease seeing as once again she let her secret slip through her grasp. Following victor to the door the sound of panting and breathy pleas quickly followed the two as Tasha hurried after them “geez you guys move quick, but you can't expect me to just sit and as my two best patients go out into danger what kind of nurse would I be if I did”. Anyone with half a brain could tell she was putting up a brave front with all the talk of the figure it was obvious that Tasha was more than a little concerned if the person was even half as strong as Max suggested. Strapping on tattered backpacks with enough worthwhile items to trade the trio left to begin searching for info on the mysterious rat king.

 

“So Max where to first, what Athenian horde shall we question first?”

 

“Well I guess we should start with those who would know more but, in this case, that’d be the rats”

 

Tasha sighed dramatically reaching into her pocket and pulling out a piece of lightly stained scrap paper “seriously I sometimes wonder how you guys survived this long we should visit the Melior first”

 

The two looks at Tasha in confusion utterly bewildered by her sudden statement asking, “whys that?” In perfect sync

 

“Well, aside from being SJW nut jobs they're some of the smartest people in the school and know almost everything about everyone which would include the rats, but their information is limited to just that. They may know basic data and details, but we’d probably have to go to the pops or MVPs if we’re going to find their connections.”

 

Blankly staring at Tasha Victor promptly raised his hand asking, “are you sure you're not in the wrong clan?” Shortly afterward Victor was holding a dirty rag over the knot on his head.

 

The library was near the center of the school not far from the cafeteria where most of the trading and selling goes on but it was obvious that only an idiot would try to steal from the Melior, not only were their leaders the fates crazy but it was obvious that they were one of the few clans that flourished during this time under the dome. Who else would have the know-how to fix cables, create booze, or even build complex weapons very few messed with the Melior and those who did either joined by force or became residents of the red room? Approaching the doors of the library it didn't seem to be as intimidating as one would expect save for the multiple webcams dotting the ceiling and the walls. The windows were all blacked out either boarded up or painted over but looking inside wasn't an option, yet just as Max was about to knock on the doom the piercing feedback of a speaker came to life a rough static-filled voice carried through the door “halt! Identify yourself”. Looking back to her friends they simply shrugged forcing Max into a role she often hated “were from Umbris we came here today to talk”, the voice beyond the door was quiet for a moment before erupting again in another burst of static “Are you armed?”

 

Hesitant Max simply lowered her head in resignation “yes”

 

“Then please leave we will entertain no risk to our - h-hey wait no I'm sorr-”

 

The sound suddenly stopped but as it came back in it was higher and a bit softer than before “question: is that Tasha biro with you?” Confused Max turned to Tasha watching as her expression darkened greatly while Victor nodded furiously “um y-yes we have Tasha with us”

 

All that was heard for a while was the static of the speaker no further words came through, but it was obviously on. As the final words came through Max could only feel suspicious of dread wafting from Tasha's form “Let them in”.

 

As the doors swung outwards the trio entered the dim room, it was almost reminiscent of the auditorium save for one key difference, there were a lot more people. A pair of guards sat on bookshelves, each one shouldering a crossbow and a knife or two on their side-eyeing the group as they entered like gargoyles defending a gothic cathedral. The rest of the area was separated into dense subsections with worktables, chemistry equipment, and even deep research filling as much space as possible though aside from its format the room had little to show for itself. The ceiling tiles were removed along with the carpet possibly for luxury or testing purposes and the overall atmosphere was strange most of the men wore some form of ribbon or red band around their neck keeping either their heads down or their eyes elsewhere while the women pridefully carried themselves about the room.

 

Standing in the entrance all eyes were glued to them as a small boy with a megaphone shirked back in fear as a trio of girls exited the inner office area. Almost all of the boys in the room went red or began to fawn over the trio while the girls looked upon them in admiration, the three of them wore dark leggings and solid colored shirts which were only accented by their dark blue capes which appeared to be more akin to drapes than anything else. Gazing upon the Umbris group one of the main girls displayed a wide and eager smile her dark blue hair was wild and messy but her rounded features more than made up for it and with a tone that would make a diabetic go into shock she stretched out her hand almost like a goddess would saying “welcome back Tashie you know I've missed you”. Fire burning in her eyes Tasha batted the hand away callously spitting out “the feeling isn't mutual”, the atmosphere immediately became heavy as it was clear that not only were the other leaders now hostile but so were the rest of the Melior.

 

Cautiously moving her hand to her knife Max feared for a turn for the worse until something cut through the tension like butter. Turning around Max watched as Victor was snickering behind her until he simply exploded into hysterical laughter “Tashie, seriously I can't honestly believe that went by that name. Oh, Tashie could you heal the boo-boo on my tooshie”. Victor continued laughing falling to the floor in his hysterics while Tasha looked as if she were ready to punch him into orbit, but his laughter was quickly cut short as a checkered vans sneaker found its way planted in his stomach. The blue-haired girl stared at Victor without a single change in her demeanor watching as he gasped for air in an almost bemused fashion stating simply “no one insults my Tashie”. Walking over him like she was Andre the giant Max watched as the girl closed the doors effectively sealing off their only means of escape. At this moment Max deeply regretted their decision.

 

It didn't take long but Max learned about the fates as they liked to be called essentially they were originally members of the Diversity Science Club but after the dome went down they became the leaders of Melior, the way they said it sounded simple but Max could tell that something else had happened something that made all of the guys here subservient to their will. Max didn't look around much as Tasha spent time with Francesca, but it was obvious the other fates Malia and Diane were deeply suspicious of their intentions. Malia was abnormally quiet making it difficult for Max to get a clear read on her, but it was obvious that she was growing more and more uncomfortable with Victor's continuous jokes about the bhindi on her forehead. Diane wasn't like the others she was ready to punch Victor but knowing that she could gain the ire of Francesca she merely scowled as Max stood beside her. Unsure of what to do or even how to approach the topic Max was ready to just begin talking but as she watched Tasha storm towards her, she could tell that something bad was going on.

 

Suddenly Max watched as Victor was beaten by one of the guys from Melior, relatively husky and large Max noticed Malia’s' twisted grin as the onslaught happened but just as quickly as it started it was over with the Melior boy lying on his side while Victor held a small box-like contraption covered in electrical tape. “I'm sick of this shit! I'm sick of you, I'm sick of you, you're cool, and I'm especially sick of you” shouting his tirade Victor pointed at Fran, Malia, Diane, and a random number of people around him his dramatics causing Tasha to gain a worried look.

 

“Resorting straight to violence and hate oh how typically simply unaware of your rude and crass nature ignorant to how horrid you truly are, see Tashie you know I'm right”

 

“Right about what all we came here for were some fucking questions not to be treated like shit and beaten down almost every 5 seconds”

 

“But isn't that what you men do? harass and belittle women to the point where their spirits are crushed, try gaining some perspective before you speak you, stupid pathetic child”

 

“Wait what? How is that even related? and who the fuck are you calling a child cause by my fucking calculations bitch I’m at least a year older than you-”

 

“Yes but it seems your mental age is far below that which is to be expected when dealing with someone like you”

 

It was clear that Victor was going to do something rash, his intelligence was always somewhat of a sore spot for him but before he could do anything drastic Tasha stepped between them. Fran immediately stepped down still holding her calm pleasant demeanor, yet it was skewed in a dark way almost how a child would look a toy held in another's hands. ‘Why was Francesca jealous?’ the issue was quickly resolved, and no further incident took place, but it was only until Francesca suggested they stay the night that the trio decided to finally get the answers they needed. Creeping across the library's cold concrete floor Max watched as light spilled from alone supply closet in the corner of the room, inching towards the door Max peered through a small crack and stood stunned at the spot by what she saw.

 

“Aww come on Tashie just come back”

 

“No I told you no before and I'm telling you now”

 

“But don't you miss our nights together watching hentai on the tv while I rocked your world all through the night”

 

“Wow you still have such a way with words,” she said sarcastically

 

“You don't understand, when you told me you were bi, I knew what I had to do”

 

“You mean ruin my life”

 

“I did it for us I dint want for some filthy mongrel to come and steal you away from me”

 

“Oh yeah that just makes it so much better what you did was inexcusable, and you had no right to do it”

 

“I see what this is. You're with that rocker guy aren’t you, you're with him now and you're just rubbing it in my face”

 

“Wait, Victor? like hell id date that guy he may be a bit “passionate” but he's a good person”

 

“Then what about your other little friend”

 

“What about her”

 

“I know her secret”

 

“What do you mean”

 

“I could tell by her voice I didn't know you swung that way though must be another reason you became bi huh all for that little tra-”

 

“Don't you talk about her that way all I want are answers and that's it afterwards I'm gone and I'm not coming back”

 

“T-Tashie”

 

“Look you need to move on I already have so you need to too”

 

Clinging to the wall Max watched as Tasha went over to the office where the meeting was to be held leaving Francesca to stand alone in the closet, feeling like it was over Max started for the office until she heard Francesca muttering to herself in the confines of the closet

 

“Confused. Yeah. yeah, she's just confused. It just needs time; she just needs time. Yeah, she's just confused, shell come back. I'll make her come back. She has to come back. She’s just confused”.

 

staring at the girl through the crack in the door Max almost felt sorry for her even for a moment, something was truly wrong with her and it was bad but, in the end, she just wanted Tasha back. Easing her way to the office she found Tasha standing in the entrance with a look of pure shock confused Max turned to see what she was looking at and was both surprised and humored by what she saw. Victor's back was pinned to the wall while his face was being mauled by a barrage of kisses and hickeys his arms were sprawled out wildly like a child in the ocean trying desperately to stay afloat. As Malia pulled back in shock and horror Tasha greatly assured her that her secret was safe with them, eventually, Diane and Francesca entered the office sitting across from the trio with a brown linoleum desk seated between them.

 

 

Stretching out her hand Francesca displayed a wide and strained grin before relaxing and regaining her composure allowing the essence of the meeting to begin “So what are these questions you're so eager to ask?”

 

Tasha and Victor immediately turned to Max her demeanor uncomfortable and unsteady leading Tasha to sigh and lead the discussion in her stead “We wanted to know about a mysterious guy with a hood and a Berus who’s been wandering the halls for quite a while”

 

“What clan is this guy in”

 

“He's a rat”

 

“Hmmm… Malia can you see if we have anybody we've tagged 'with a hood'”

 

Swiftly Malia whipped around pulling out a tablet from one of the drawers, tapping and typing furiously the cascade of fingers quickly ended with her passing it to Francesca. As Francesca slowly swiped through what one would assume to be pages, she eventually set the screen down revealing a series of pictures each with small designation numbers beneath them. Leaning back Francesca folded her hands in her lap " pour over these and see if you find your guy".

 

Seizing the tablet Max swiped through photo after photo until she saw it, the picture was grainy and unfocused seeing as it was zoomed in, but it was unmistakable. Passing the tablet back to the fates the three of them immediately froze their faces twisting into dark reflections of rage and anguish. Looking up to Max Diane's lips pursed into a thin almost nonexistent line to the point that her teeth slowly became visible to the trio. "This is the guy who you've been searching for?” as Max nodded the atmosphere in the room grew heavier and heavier until the fates finally sighed and began telling of their first encounter with the hooded figure, better known as Daniel.

9