Chapter 2.5: May
670 2 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
BAH you may not have noticed but I did, I forgot to say my thanks to Bnnuy, our lovely and awesome editor, they helped a lot with the chapter, as always. I decided to add a poll now since I know I'll over think it, go to the end to see it.

Chapter 2.5:

Waking up was always annoying. The sound, the talking, and the sun. The girls in the quarters always talked as they got dressed, which would be fine by me if they just kept it down, but they squeal and chatter so loudly.

Sighing, I got up from my bed. The sun was so warm, bright, and bothersome here; it was much more different from what I was used to. Shaking my head, I went to the dresser and began pulling out my uniform. It was a black dress that went under a white apron, long but lightweight for ease of movement. As I dressed, I looked in the mirror, making sure I appeared properly according to the guidelines. I was not the tallest of my kind, with brown hair and, tall ears, a short tail that reached to my knees. I wasn't all that pretty either, but I knew one thing for certain… I got a bad job that paid too well.

As I walked out, I saw my coworker, Mrs. Liana. She was taking a group of maids to prepare for the departure of Lady Sammantha, who had recently been sent off to a private school by her parents to learn rather than be tutored; Mrs. Fairchild was getting her staff up and ready since they had to make breakfast for the staff and the ladies of the house. Then there was me; I was walking past all of them as I prepared myself for my duty, which consisted of waking up Lady Miya.

*Knock, knock, knock*

“Lady Miya you must get up, your sister will be leaving soon!”

I called out to my lady, or else she would sleep in if I didn't. Though, I guess I would have done the same if I didn't have chores back home. I sighed as I reminisced; my home was a rather isolated country. We didn't have bad relations with the humans or bêtes outside; rather, we simply believed that tainting our ways with human culture would lead to us losing ourselves. Being inside a jungle so vast that many would call it 'The Sea of Trees' helped us not stray away from our ways.

I missed Kizo Toshi, the vast greenness of the trees, the peaceful silence, and the dim lights. It all felt peaceful compared to now; I hoped I could have returned home, to get away from this environment; the lights and noise were too much for me to handle, but I knew I could not, the last letter home told me as much.

A strange sensation soon came over me, like a scratching sensation on my head. As I looked up, I saw my lady with a small smile; she was consoling me, it seemed. After a few moments of silence, I realized what had happened and stiffened up, my back straightening.

“M-my Lady w-why are you doing that?”

She smiled, her head tilting as she spoke.

“You looked sad, so I pat pat to make it all better!”

As the lady finished, I simply stared in confusion, then I laughed. I was baffled. Humans are always so strange, I may miss my home, but I wouldn't want to give this up, this kindness from my lady.

“Thank you, my lady, I am all better now.”

As I finished, she clapped her hands, gave me a hug, and said,

“Yay! I always knew it would work, heh. Can we play before sis goes?”

With a sigh, I shook my head, she always changed things so quickly, and she had a reason to do so. Lifting her up, I began to walk to the baths, my lady's eyes widening.

“W-wait, May-may, where are we going? We were going to play, right? Right?”

“No, my lady, we are headed to the bath.”

With a face of horror, my lady starts to struggle; she always disliked baths. She would always go on, saying, “Until I can have hair like big sis, I won't take a bath!” Of course, I force her to take them, though she does it reluctantly unless her family is leaving. 

As we entered the bath, the other maids stared at the young lady and me. Sighing, they stayed in the bath; it would be considered truly disrespectful if the maids left. I heard in human settlements that they don't enjoy the company of bêtes, it would be the opposite, but those are very few. The last sentence confused me, I need an explanation on it pls.

Washing the lady as we sat in the large bath, I pondered why humans liked such hot water; it would always affect my fur terribly, even though the towels, which were strangely enchanted with magic, helped with the fraying of my hair. As I washed, deep in thought, I felt something on my arm; looking over, I saw my lady scrubbing my arm with a luffa. I stared for some time as she happily washed my arm before moving her hands away; I shook my head. 

“My lady, this is not the place. Even if you wish to show it.”

She looked up at me with a quizzical expression; she didn't seem to get the implication, which further disturbed me. Looking at the other maids, they shrugged. She had always been like this, or so I've heard; they wouldn't dare go against their lady's words or actions. With a sigh, I looked at her, who was pouting now, and said.

“What is it?”

“Why can't I? You do it all the time, I just want to be nice…”

“Ah hah…”

She looked at me with childish eyes, ones that melt your heart; I had to force myself to look away. Looking for help, I stared again at my colleagues, who just smiled at me; others looked on with sympathy, yet others stared in hopes of seeing more cute actions from our lady. Traitors, the lot of them, it seemed. I sighed, resigning myself to the fate that befell me.

“Fine, my lady. But please don't do this with those who are not close allies or friends.”

I said it this way since, when I had said I was simply a servant in her presence, she forbid me from saying such things. She said I was her trusted friend and confidant; if I suggested otherwise, I would be lectured on how I was her most precious friend.

- - -

Tutoring today was, as expected, troublesome. Lady Miya began class, of which I was supposed to teach her etiquette, by casting an illusion of herself and invisibility while my back was turned. It took me more time than I would like to realize the attentive student in front of me was not, in fact, my lady finally wishing to learn for once. Being adept at illusions and deception at such a young age has made her free-spirited and, sadly, willing to use her talent for mischief. 

When it came time for her sister's driver to return them to the mansion, she had, somehow, slipped into the car. I had only realized she had disappeared to this degree when it became clear she wouldn't show herself. I had to ask our resident mage maid, yes… Such a dedicated title was made for mages under employment, the sole purpose of this for scouting her location, where I found she was nearing the school at which her elder sister was taking lessons. With resignation, I sighed and waited till the morning; even if I lectured her, she might pull the trick again; I simply had to prepare for tomorrow and make sure she didn't pull it again, or at least for some time.

At the end of the day, I was left alone; dining with the others hurt my ears, so I decided to eat in my room. Most accepted it as a quirk of mine and let it be, but the lady persisted in her attempts to entertain herself since her sister had been gone. Her face covered in food, seemingly shoveled down her small gullet, and she stood proudly before me as if she wished to be praised.

“Hah… Young lady, please return to the main house. I wish to eat in peace.”

“NO! Big sis was gone for soooo long, and she doesn't talk when eating, so I want to talk with you!”

Stubborn and endearing as she may be, I wished to eat in peace. Therefore, I pulled out my trump card, something I hope works wonders on her personality, especially since her sister shall be off more times than not now that she has full schooling.

“My lady… do you know why I can't let you stay here?”

“Mmm… no?”

“Because if I do, I may be forced to leave.”

“WHAT?!”

Her shocked expression told me all I needed to know. I looked at her, whilst lowering my head, with a solemn look, I said.

“Yes, if I do not do my work, and you don't learn from my lessons, I can't stay here as your maid, not even as a personal one. If you don't listen to me now, how can I be a good maid in the future? It is sad to say, but if you don't learn, and I fail you, I can't stay. Not only as an employee, but as a friend, and we are friends, aren't we?”

She looked at me, her big eyes, and small pink mouth quivering, her golden locks covering her eyes as her head hung a little. Then, as if shot with the vigor of some kind, she looked up.

“Don't worry! I have a plan!”

With those worrying words, she darted out of my room. I stared at what seemed to be a laughing after image before I looked down at my food; somehow, it seemed far more calming than thinking about what my lady would do to keep us together, even if she didn't listen to my classes.

POV chapters: do you like how I wrote this one and would you like more in the future.
  • Yes Votes: 8 29.6%
  • No Votes: 3 11.1%
  • *bonk* bad overthinking author! Votes: 16 59.3%
Total voters: 27
19