Chapter 3 The Weakest Squad, Team Evaluation. Cont. 2
78 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

You might be wandering how my teammates are faring. Being with them isn't bad. Well that is if you don't count the bad mouthing everywhere we go calling as the weakest and trash. Hoshi and Shinosaki-san don't look bothered about it when we go out, mostly up to the cafeteria and we the boys moving around on the grounds, holding their heads up without a care. But they are clearly holding it in.

Yasagawa-san just has no expression on, her mind always on Inyx who is still dull and asleep almost all the time, even sleep walking under her support. I still have no clue as to what her ability is to have her like that. I have asked but only vague answers came back. It's not that they don't trust me. Or maybe that might be it since I only just came? But maybe they feel I might be bothered by it.

Ro, on the other hand is timid as usual having his head down but I see him biting his lip most times or balling a fist. I don't think anybody wants to be called trash.

I do feel agitated since there is nothing I can do to help. I would be bringing them down, even more now since I have made no progress. And with the pressure of the Team Evaluation only three days away I feel desperate. They, no we, they are my teammates after all, will lose Yasagawa-san.

It's truly frustrating. Ever since coming here they, my teammate have been good to me. And I can't bare the scorn they receive from the others and knowing that it will be on me during this evaluation makes me feel so stressed.

Which is what led me to my decision...

...

"How's his, the new awakened Nonako Rinji's progress?"

I find myself before the director and the other board, the glowing projections through magic. It's not like they don't have the technology to have the same thing but just for its extravagance they stick to using magic. It's just so childish.

"He hasn't made much. From what I've seen, unlike the other new awakeneds he is rather slow and unable to quickly grasp even the fundamentals."

"Are you sure it is not your own lack of skills?"

"I will leave that to your own imagination."

"Rude as ever I see, Shimura."

"And who made me like this!?" I reply sharply, glaring at the woman who spoke not bothering to hide my disdain.

"What are your thoughts on this?" The director asked.

"I'm inclined to believe that him being present was a coincidence. I don't believe he is the one who dealt with the ghoul. What are the odds that a rogue dealt with it saving him and fleeing the scene?"

"That is impossible! We had investigated and found no one else. Am I right?" He looked to the one on the opposite side of the table.

"Yes... there wasn't any other presence to track. We are certain of that."

They are not even trying to consider it. They just putting their hopes kids like they always have.

"But what if this person has a way of going off the radar, this wouldn't be the first, now would it? There are many others who clearly have evaded being looked into, masking their trail. We can't be certain." I say.

"Indeed! Just like..."

They started speaking what came to mind.

"... And that damn piper of 1284. What that rogue did was infuriating!" The glowing figure slammed a fist to the table. As it was like a video feed there was noise. "That demon still has yet to be found."

"Would you let it go? We all know Boniface at that time sent a few of ours to deal with him."

"Why would I? Those children he took were all awakened. He targeted the very kids who could have been of great help in their times. And how certain are you that they really did their job?"

These people that gathered here, of different countries, how can you sit there using kids as fodders in your wars? Same has happened and is happening on the normies sides.

"Continue."

"I stand by my previous statement. The reason he is now is probably due to him being exposed to their power and the residue being the one giving him the chance to see the supernatural. Or maybe him seeing the ghoul could have been the factor."

"It's a possibility."

"And...?"

"If there is a slim possibility it was him we can only wait until he manifests it. Slowly continue with what we currently are doing."

"And how long will that take?" Asked one of the people. "Months, years, decades?"

"It'll be a waste of resources and time."

"That is what has been done so many generations so why make haste now?"

"I don't think those monsters will wait for us to let us prepare our people whether new or vets. You understand what I mean."

"I propose we let this Nonako Rinji and the other new recruits who have yet to find their ability go through with the Forced Awakening. If his ability is as powerful as we imagine there shouldn't be any downside to it." Said a gruff looking man.

"Same here."

"I agree... We can't wait for his ability to manifest. Anything could happen in that span of time and as we are down on force we need everything we can get."

"I refuse." I speak up, silencing everyone. "You don't have the right, it is his choice. We know that in doing so will limit his growth, even stagnate it for the rest of his life. And--"

"I know you care for 'her', but it's not your place to say..." Glared the director, cutting me off.

I could only grit my teeth. [How detestable.]

"... Oh and what do we have here." He pulled out a file out of nowhere. "Rinji himself submitted this for the forced awakening." He looks at me. "It seems your student is eager to get stronger quickly. And to think he went behind your back to do it. It seems he isn't so happy with your teachings. I truly admire his resolve."

That idiot! I felt my knuckles crack. And the director is trying to humiliate me.

"That ends this meeting then..."

The glowing figures then disappeared one after another leaving only the director and me.

"... you've grown since the first time we met."

"And you haven't." He replied.

"... too cunning for your own good."

He only gave his usual sly smile when no is around. I turn walking away.

"I truly envy you, Shimura. How your students adore you." I stop and look to see him leaning on his backrest. "I think Rinji is a special one, clearly wanting to know more about you. You know what he said to me. 'You put up this serious face but your eyes show how sad you are'. For someone to pick up on that despite how hard you try to hid it. He has good intuition despite his slow wittedness. I have high hopes for the boy... I'd appreciate it if you continue taking care of you students."

"Your words are as empty as ever."

"Even so I do want you to continue taking care of them."

"... It's not like I have any choice."

"Precisely"

I walk on only stopping when I open one of the dual door.

"... Oh but know that the day draws near when I will escape from your grip." I walk out.

"I do welcome you to try..." He said with a chuckled as I close the door.

Nonako, that fool! I need to let out some steam. It's about time he shows up.

...

So here I am once again for my private session with Shimura-san. I had been coming here on my own since the third day. She gave me a pass to get in here from the main time of our training. Any other time I wouldn't be able to enter.

I came here for the usual beatdown but who would have thought she would go all gung-ho on me. No words like how she always did, just hitting me every opening she has. This wasn't training it was a trashing. It feels like she was letting out her frustration. I feel sore all over, like all the ones that I've had so far combined together. I do hope nothing breaks.

...

"Ooph!!" I fell on my back on the floor, panting. She didn't even break a sweat, even after beating me. Just how much stamina does she have? Ahem! Yea that sounded like... Ahem.

I can't feel... no I can feel my everything, and it is sore except for my third leg, I can't feel it. !!!No, that's not what I meant. I can feel it but not in the same way I feel my body. I sound so confusing right? Simply put, it works and I didn't get hit there.

Now why did she rough with me today... again, perverts!

"You don't get strong overnight, Nonako-san. Why rush?"

She waited for me to relax before asking, towering over me.

"... I don't want to be one to drag my teammates down."

"Are you sure that's truly what you want? You're losing sight of yourself. You came here to be strong not to worry about something else. Getting strong also means knowing when to be selfish. You're carrying unnecessary burdens when you should be focus on yourself. Do you think Yasagawa became as she is by worrying about some meager evaluation? Going through the procedure is being selfish but for whom, yourself or some bunch of kids you only just met? You're already losing sight of your priorities."

"I..."

"There is a reason why I told you not to even consider Forced Awakening. You are rushing your ability instead of slowly being acquainted with it and that alone can stamp your growth."

I feel she is right but I just I want to see them, my teammates as my strength as well. I know I just came in but I don't want to be the cause for them being splitted up. True it shouldn't be my concern since I arrived not too long ago but being around them was fun. I got to know them, got closer to them. They are my friends and I want to grow stronger with and for them as well. As I am now I'm nowhere close to their standard.

It just feels like I'm wasting time swinging the swords. How could a month of that prepare me for what is to come? Neither would it give me the strength for the evaluation let alone fighting the ghoul, when ever it resurfaces!

I gritted my teeth and ball my fists in frustration.

"... Once again. Mind your own business. Don't pry into others' life. You're just a weak kid. You'll get injured."

She said turning away.

She said that but why does she still look so sad.

Who do you think the 'her' the director mentioned is?
  • Inyx Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yasagawa Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A possible new character. Votes: 2 100.0%
Total voters: 2 · This poll was closed on Dec 10, 2022 08:03 AM.
1