Chapter 3 The Weakest Squad, Team Evaluation. Cont. 7
86 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[A/N: A little late but Happy new year.]

.

"You don't seem shaken up for your first battle. Not that it's something overly dangerous."

"..."

Dangerous huh? This wouldn't compare to what I will face.

Now though, my presence here is to help my mates and not be the reason they are dragged further down.

I was hardly paying attention to him as he spoke. One, everything that was going on was really difficult to understand. Superpower can't cure slow wittedness of an average person. Second, my thoughts were somewhere else.

...

"Are you sure that's truly what you want? ...You're carrying unnecessary burdens when you should be focus on yourself... You're already losing sight of your priorities."

I remembered those words Shimura-san said to me not too long ago.

...

It got me thinking all this while... But I, Rinji know for certain that have not lost my goals.

[Excuses! Even you know that.]

Even as we moved from that spot leading the people, allegedly, following us I could barely register my surroundings. Good thing though is that my body is holding up, stronger, and enough to keep up without being tired.

[You're scared because you know without this so called abilities you don't have what it takes. How pointless.]

I came back when we were almost blown away along with the trees from the attack.

[Deep down you know all these is just a waste of time. You have no strength, no powers, nothing but an ordinary person! You don't belong.]

Coming to this place I had seen people train and watched footages of fights but this is the first time facing the power of an awakened, a hero class ability user, and it was a little terrifying.

"... Think you're up for it?"

Not comparing to what I felt hours earlier, of being ripped apart and reassembled over and over again.

"I will have to fight something dangerous. This is nothing compared to that." I had already steeled myself, even if it's a false sense of bravado, when I entered the arena so I give him my answer...

I had taken most of my free time to check on the monsters and demons in the library, especially ghouls. They boasted, strength and speed, with sharp claws and strong jaws. And yet why did the one that attack me move like that?

Then I realized in addition to leaving me alone and the slow chase, it was just toying with me.

So I am prepared for it all. I won't give it that satisfaction.

[You say such empty words but even you know it's impossible. You just don't want to accept it.]

Here in this arena I want to see how far I've come. I do all this for the very same reason I came here. This place will be my stepping stone to achieve that goal...

And yet...

...

"Are you happy now? Going through with it."

I had reached the arena a little late because after the procedure and the follow up tests, I was trying to get a feel for my body and then when I arrive though the corridor Shimura-san's voice came from behind me.

Turning my head I saw her with folded arms. The look in her eyes was the same as she did on the first day we begun the private lessons.

"Did you get the results you were hoping for? In situations like this results aren't swift. And without listening to your mentor-and-teacher you dove right in and came out a failure. I'll be frank I never had any hopes for you. I never once thought you were cut out for this but I was holding on to a sliver that you'd prove me wrong. Well, hope itself is a fragile thing."

For some reason I couldn't bring myself to face her. She was a strict and cold person but you could tell she cares for her students.

"Just know that after going through the forced awaking this will be you limit. You have taken all your potential, wasted, just to achieve the current you. You will never be stronger again. And that makes your goal now an impossible endeavor."

Her words made me grit my teeth and clench my fist on the sword in my hand.

...

Even now the sword is still clenched. Ready to face the duo.

The boy? Girl? This isn't the time to worry about her/his gender but I'm curious. Which she/he is? Especially with barely anything in the chest area to differentiate. I don't mean to discriminate but it was like God got tired and stopped instead of adding the finishing touches. In any case she--I'll go with that until further notice--didn't hesitate and nocked her bow firing an arrow.

It was coming in real hot. If it was the day before I wouldn't be able to handle it and out of commission the very start.

I had taken a standard stance with the blade pointing up, then shifted it to deflect.

I caught her already in the air, pulled an arrow from it's quiver and nock her bow again and letting loose.

The boy came down throwing small projectiles at me. His projectile was well paced.

I had only noticed it after I rolled way to evade the three arrows that came from the air. I managed to pull my head to the side avoiding the projectile...

...

Shimura-san was right it was a failure. After the procedure and the follow-up test they said it was a failure.

...

I woke up the day before, excited to see what was to come. Since I had the days free I was at the library--even though I had difficulty in understanding them, then went around the campus and finally to Yasagawa-san to spar in preparation for the upcoming team evaluation.

Earlier I had been told by the director that they would send someone to fetch me when the time comes, even so in the excitement, though they came late into the night I was wide awake.

KNOCK KNOCK

When the knock came I sat up and went for  the door. Behind was someone I hadn't met before. I might not be good with faces but I'd definitely know a familiar breast to a pretty face.

The one before was a woman in lab coat, shoulder length black hair and a closer size to that of Shimura-san. She had a half rimmed glasses and under, to the side of her right eye a small mole.

God, is there supposed to be some sort of beauty standard for awakened and all those in this place. If so I definitely don't belong here.

She lowered the file in her hand to her side.

"Nonako Rinji."

"Yes" I gave her a nod. She's got this dull uncaring vibe around her. Add a dash of alluring and you got her whole look down. She must be the one sent to pick me up.

"Come with me. It's time for the procedure."

Locking my door I followed. And through a door which led us into a corridor of white. The tile-like metal wall gave this Sci-fi feel even though It was plain.

Down the wide corridor one door at it's end and two opposite each other at the mid-section.

Walking by I peered through the half glass doors. One looked like the lab used for their 'magitech' as Hoshi worded it. And other something like a laboratory for mages. I was a little bit confused why this three facilities would be in the same place but then realize it might not be the case. This door led to different buildings altogether. The doors in this organization are complex and a little hard to understand.

Our target seems to be the one at the end of the corridor.

And as if answering my confusion when we went through the door we seemed to have going into a new building. I knew it because when I looked back through the glass instead of the corridor I saw the outside of the building, sky, plants and other buildings.

There were a few people in lab coats like the woman, walking about. This place more or less seemed like a hospital, just more advanced. She didn't stop so I could only look as we moved.

I hadn't seen an elevator ever since coming here so it was a little surprising to find that we'd be riding one when they had doors to take us any and everywhere in this place.

The last floor, the 6th... That's our stop.

Out the elevator. The floor was pretty much open, though a few doors around. Heavy machines here and there, personnels manning them and moving about. There was also a set of tanks filled with transparent fluid at the back.

I stood still soaking in the Sci-fi-esque feel.

"No dallying. Come on." She brought me back from my awe, a few steps away.

As I wondered if that is what I'd have to take the procedure in she led me a little away from it.

"Sit." The lady hardly said anything all the way here.

It seemed no different from a dentist's chair, but it looked less comfortable and the well maintain gadgets and wires hanging over head.

Shimura-san said something about excruciating pain. I hope they aren't going to open up my skull and do some weird operations. Can I decline going ahead with the procedure now~?

"Just relax." Done with her job the guide took her leave to man a terminal close by replaced by a man with a coat that seems to say he is of a higher standing. He  said sensing my hesitation and tensed body "Nothing of that sort would be happening."

God can he read minds? Is he like Dr. X for those weird people with superpowers movie?

He chuckled. "No, I am not. People tend to wear their thoughts on their faces. And this sort of misunderstanding happens ever so often."

"Oh, ok. I'm glad that's not the case."

[Don't tell him I was hoping that he could. Then again if he did me might be able to hear and see all those stuff in my head. And I don't want that. My mind is my private space. No intruding.]

"Make yourself comfortable, young hero." The middle age man's calm demeanor was quite assuring.

I took a seat. And moments later was surrounded by people who strapped and cuffed me down, and the helmet brought down covering half my face.

Though knowing what was to come my body tensed up.

"Just relax, it just a cautionary measure, we wouldn't want you hurting yourself now would we."

I felt a prick, a needle go throw my shoulder, The cooling sensation spread through my body, relaxing it. I slowly begun to drift, sleep trying to take me away.

"As powerful as the anesthetic is the moment we begin it would be painful but at least to numb the pain even if just a little"

As my body relaxed, me barely having any control they stuffed something into my mouth wrapping it around my neck. With great effort I bit down on it. Though my senses barely registered it felt hard. I think they were trying to prevent me from accidentally biting my tongue.

"All is ready sir." Their voices were slowly beginning to fade out.

"Good! Activate the isolation spell."

A faint glow came from underneath the helmet. At the corner of what was let of my darkened sight, I saw a little bit of the activated magic circle.

"Isolation spell activated."

"Give me a check."

"Normal on Electrocardiogram."

"Normal on EEG" Oh there's a familiar voice, the guide from before.

"Normal on Capnogram"

"Ready..." I could hear people moving about.

"Ready..."

I have no what they are saying and I don't question whether their methods are good or safe but I know I can trust their magitech so I'm calm... No! I'm not! Not even a little.

"Alright. Start up the synthesizer. Activate the module to the Awakening capsule."

There was a loud whirring.

"Synthesizer ready."

"Capsule active."

"Time 1:27 AM... Begin."

1