Chapter 3 The Weakest Squad, Team Evaluation. Cont. 12
71 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Just under ten minutes ago, the portal was active for a moment and disappeared. We are uncertain what came through or how strong they are but it was concluded that a single entity went through and it hasn’t left that area yet. With the exception of Nonako-san, you have dealt with a few even if the were low levels, so you can deal with such. And should some unforeseen situation occurs and you are found out you should be able to holdout until support arrives… Your job is to investigate what’s happening there. If it proves above the level you can handle report back…”

The kids seem excited, finally able to do what the want and yet the tension that came from one side draws my momentary gaze. It’s no surprise. 

We have already been doing much to prevent damage with the isolation wards, but it doesn’t mean there wouldn’t be any. And moreso with its close proximity to his neighborhood. 

Should it go out of control, depending on what came through, his family would be caught up in a widespread damage.

[How disappointing.]

I really don't care much. I've have long given up on that, after all i have mine to deal with as well.

...

I returned to the Directors still in the conference room after seeing they were done with their prep and saw them off.

"How were they.?" He looked up from the screen screen before him, the one highlighted was Yasagawa and the others’ ride leaving the bay.

The ride prepared for them should take a while to get to their destination. I get why Nonako has that tensed look. Considering the time of arrival anything could have happened if they were unlucky. But such things are unavoidable, even if you could predict there wouldn't always be accuracy. Not to mention the situation we face now.

"Prepared enough."

"... I see. I'll have control room keep an ear for them in case anything happens. Or do you not trust your students to pull through with hurdle after what you saw in the Assessment? How well and far they’ve come. It was truly an amazing and surprising spectacle. Or what do you say...." He gave a taunting smile

I couldn't help but squint feeling irate. What i wouldn't give to wring his neck. But if i did that i have to consider the consequence. How annoying. How long has it been always going through his petty taunts. He knows very well, the reason why i don't act, but just a matter of time...

[Calm down...]

On the other hand, about those kids, well it really isn’t much surprising. Yasagawa is a strong type and a leader. She made herself so after putting herself through such grueling training. As for the other, except Nonako who squandered his potential, in a nutshell it more or less about them truly having a grasp on their abilities. That and the barriers that seeming regresses such progressions. I am still yet to understand that myself.

Nonako may not have been what they expected, but he could have been another Yasagawa if he worked had towards it. He may be late when it came to handling himself but his absorption rate of the basics when it came to practicals was slightly above average… it looks like something done unconsciously so imagine if he could do so consciously the rate would have been higher and he would have cut down his time by a lot closing the gap to Yasagawa…

“What are their chances of completion?”

Tapping the floating screen before him more hologram screens came into being showcasing the battles happening all around the country and a few of other places.

“40. 20 on failure, 5 on group casualty. 15 on target’s escape and 20 on damage before arrival. All this depending on the target’s level.”

It was a massacre. Overwhelmed and outnumbered. Powers flying at each others, bodies, weapons and claws slamming, and slicing. Bodies from both sides fell and blood run freely. Young and early teenagers and young adults fighting for their lives and the burden of others as well. You could see the toll it had on some as they couldn't stand the bloodshed and corpses pilling. The gruesome nature of this wave of invading creatures. And then watching as their teammates died in front of them.

“Worst case scenario?”

On the other side some of them fight the humanoid demons who came full force, barely able to stand a chance.

“Total annihilation. High casualty and millions worth in damages.”

“I see… A good idea to keep an eye on them.”

And seeing this all I could think is how foolish these people are, fighting someone else’s battle.

"Look at them. Amazing, isn't it? I heard from the supervisors that the new batches are doing well. We may have lost a few, affecting the overall moral but they seem to be doing well. They weren't lying at all. Especially that kid, Ozaki's Blazers. Running around with his squad assisting in the waves that came. They are handling themselves pretty well. And the others squads as well..."

What a nasty grin he has one. Not one ounce of guilt looking at them die.

[It's not like i would have any either at this point. It wouldn't matter if i did the same to get what i want.]

... Even so just looking at his expression is sickening.

“... How does it feel letting kids go into an early grave? Letting them fight your ways while the higher ups sit comfortably in their offices.”

Is it because i felt the need to say something back? Or just my inner thoughts leaking out. But that itself agitating. This guiltless bastard, all all the likes.

“If they do not fight who will? Do you think those normies can go at these creatures with their primitive weapons. How many of the masses will die if we do not give our to prevent the world from being engulfed in utter chaos?”

Lies… Plain justification without conviction. Their reasons may be bought by simpletons but their agenda is clear as day. Only fools will simply ignore such shady contexts. And that's just how many they are in this place.

I’ve wondered how long I’ve looked for someone sane in this place. Yet their are blinded by their own petty squabbles and ideals to even question the obvious

“So you say, as if I care. I have no false sense of justice like you all do, so don’t try to convince me. Trying to justify your delusions as necessity. The obvious answers are in your hands to do so. The very weapons you made to fight them. And yet if not for the ulterior agendas, the discrimination, and pride results in the demise of kids who could have had fulfilling lives.”

Honestly I don’t really care. However they lead themselves and others to their death it doesn’t bother me. I stay here, being their dog for one reason alone. And knowing that leash they have is why they use me as they please.

“How many years with the same arguments. Looks who’s talking about false sense of justice, hiding your own motives under the guise of care for those kids who lay their lives. To save your very own, her. A greater cause.”

What greater cause? It is nothing more than pointless bloodshed. 

“I stand on the very lines those kids do. Putting myself in an even greater danger than anyone in your so called agency does. It is my given right to hold such motive.”

“Standing on the front lines, then you should acknowledge all those who fight, shouldn’t you? All those who laid down their lives.”

“At who’s expense… It’s not like I asked them to fight for me. I fight for myself.”

“This is why we never see eye to eye. Shimura. At least for once try to see it our way.”

 “How do you expect a captive to sympathize with their captor, after being oppressed and misused? Even a fool wouldn’t go as far too. It’s not as if I don’t know why you want me to. A cost carried by her.”

All this while we spoke with out respective calm he still had his smile on. Squinting only just now.

“Such a shame.” He gives such an exaggerated shrug. “If only you could just have accepted it the way it was maybe you could have had more time to even spend with her. Truly, after all this years and you’re still so stubborn. You still don’t get it.” He leaned forward, elbows on the table, hands clasped before him away from touching his chin. “It’s not like I needed your permission anyway… After all this years you’re still just as fun talking to. I hope this never change.” His grin stretches a little wider.

I feel my blood boiling. How long have I kept my rage bottled up? It’s been so long I can’t remember. I hate this person in front of me, that I want t slice him up and see his blood spill. I hate this place that I want to see it razed down. I hate everything that I don’t care if this world comes to an end… But… It’s all for her sake. So calm down.

“Ah, I think it’s about time you went on yours as the others have. I’ll be waiting for your safe return…”

How annoying.

I walk, open the doors and step out. Closing the doors I look straight a him, his appalling .expression and give.

“… Bare in mind I will take back what’s mine. Sooner rather than later. And when that happens I’ll make you all pay for what you’ve done.” I squint threateningly.

“…” I only saw his smiling face as the door shut.

0