A Brand New Case
67 4 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alice always made a point to get the newspaper every morning on the way to school. 

Unlike what many men and women of her age might think nowadays, the traditional newspaper still had its uses to benefit them. Well, at least for herself.

The first thing she saw was the usual political and international news on the front page. Although it’s interesting, it wasn’t something she was looking for. Instead, she turned to what’s under the Home section, where it talks about the kingdom’s daily domestic affairs.

Its first page was planted with an extensive article with huge fonts.

A KILLER ON THE RUN

Name: Daniel Jackson

Last Seen: Outside Jackson’s Mansion district of Hill’s Street

Date Last Seen: 4/1/2021

Age: 35

Basic Details: Daniel Jackson killed his father yesterday night, during a thunderstorm in his mansion. After shooting with a Taurus pistol, he immediately fled the estate, never to be seen again.

A large image was posted below the texts.

Alice smiled satisfyingly underneath the gaze of the morning crowd.

She wouldn’t be surprised if this would be the topic of her classmates during their first lesson. The case of a known killer on the run was infrequent around the kingdom.

Regardless, she might have to share this with her fellow clubmates to decide if they should do anything about it.

 


 

“Hey, hey, have you seen the news about it online?”

“Yes, that Jackson’s family killer…Aren’t they one of those rich nobles who work their way up?”

“Why am I not surprised? They must be impatient to get their father’s money.”

“Such a poor mannered and miserable family. Very sad.”

The young white-haired woman went to sit on her usual seat in the large lecture hall as she prepared her items for the first lesson of the day.

Alice occasionally glanced at the group of girls around her where the ladies of the academy converse in loud voices who seemingly didn’t mind the people around them. Alice simply tuned them out with the loud chattering that made unnecessary noises in her ears as her mind focused on the upcoming lesson.

She happened to glance up and saw the university's logo plastered right on top of the massive screen in the lecture hall.

Below, it stated Lena’s Girls Academy.

This university she was in was a dream for every woman of her age. They judge each potential student by merit regardless of their background on the same metric. Graduating from here would make anyone guaranteed to have a more fortunate position and be ahead of the rest of the kingdom. This not only involved during the time they worked but also when it comes to family and marriage too. 

It wouldn’t be rare for anyone in this academy to rise in ranks in just over one or two generations of their family.

As to why she was here given her commoner background, she has personal reasons just like every person in her does.

It wasn’t like it was entirely her personal choice to be here.

She was deliberately placed in this academy by others who want her here.

The lecture hall quietened down swiftly the minute the lecturer entered the class.

As expected of the ladies of such a prestigious girl’s academy. Each of them was trained the moment they stepped foot in this school.

 


 

“Such a noisy morning. All they can talk about were the same thing.”

“You don't see such events every day, so naturally, it is the talk of this area. Hill’s Street falls under this province, which makes it even more interesting.”

“That’s true. Too bad it’s nothing mysterious that needs solving.”

A tall black-haired youth sat down and picked up a teacup on the table. She placed the cup towards her luscious pink lips. She took a small sip, smiling playfully before replying.

“It does seem to be that way.”

Another person in the small room, a petite, brown-haired girl, appeared quite bored and disappointed.

She returned the tray to its place since she had brought all the teacups towards the round table. 

That was when the door was slammed open.

The black-haired youth immediately stood up.

“Hey Alice, about time you arrive. We just talk about it.”

“Daisy.”

As always, Alice couldn’t take her eyes off the tall, voluptuous woman. Wearing her trademark off-shoulder black and white blouse that fit all her womanly curves just nicely, Daisy could easily catch the attention of anyone that happened to look in her direction for her mature appearance.

Alice took wide strides to the other side of the room. She dived her hand into her bag and took a roll of newspaper. Calmly, she put it on the round table.

“I have already contacted Miss Harmony about the case. She still hasn't replied yet, so we just have to wait.”

“Done already?” The petite girl exclaimed. “But isn’t there nothing else for us to solve since we know the culprit?”

“How many days have you been with us, Betty? You should get used to how we work even if it's a little.”

Alice smirked at the irritated girl known as Betty. Her cheeks had a slight tinge of red.

“Hmph, of course, I know! But that’s all thanks to Lady Elaine!”

“Yes, yes. It's always Elaine.”

“That’s Lady Elaine to you!”

Alice ignored her remark and sat down on a wooden chair near the round table. 

Just her regular daily interaction with the young woman known as Betty.

The small woman was that of a noble that Alice generally associated with every other of the same rank. Proud but not arrogant, Betty was still the better one among the nobles than the rest of the aristocracy that existed in this kingdom. This applies to her family too.

Alice returned her gaze towards the article in the newspaper once more.

There it was, the image of the supposed killer that was on the run.

She wondered what’s the story behind it. What drives him to kill his family member? Revenge? Money? So many possibilities.

It may seem straightforward, but it did intrigue her slightly. This came right from her experience of solving the cases their club had done together.

Indeed, all three girls were here as they were club members. But they all knew that this club was no ordinary one.

Suddenly, the door opened again.

This time, a dazzling blond woman strode gracefully into the room. Her simple black coat with a yellow-white dress that complemented her flowing blond hair quickly brought everyone’s attention to her and drastically changed the room’s atmosphere.

“Princess!” Betty exclaimed at the sight of the royal.

“Betty. Hello everyone.”

Alice and Daisy briefly nodded. They saw the princess every day. In this club room, they considered themselves friends and schoolmates, so all formalities were dropped.

“Elaine, have you heard of the news that just came out this morning?”

The princess strode into the room and took a short glance at the newspaper in Alice’s hands. 

“This one? Everyone in my class has been talking to me all morning. Naturally, they were afraid, and I had to calm them down. You don’t hear this kind of news in this small kingdom of ours every day.”

“So, do you think we would be assigned the job of finding him?”

“If you decidedly so, Alice,” the princess replied.

Daisy smiled approvingly. Even Betty begrudgingly nodded. 

As always, it’s up to me…

Alice simply sighed and returned to her thoughts.

With that, the four girls sat around the round table and had an ordinary conversation about their lives. There was nothing left to talk about the news other than simply waiting if they were assigned any other case within their area. As they were an official club of the academy, they needed to participate and stay in school to do “school activities” for some time.

Betty, the most energetic and enthusiastic of the group, became excited and hoped they could get involved with it. Such excitement at her age was rare to see, let alone able to take part in it.

It was an hour later when Alice finally received the phone call she wanted to hear.

“Miss Harmony?”

The entire room quickly went into silence.

The stoic youth remained quiet the entire time as she listened to the teacher on the phone. Her face remained neutral and hardly reacted to the words on the other side.

“I see... Understood. We will get there right away. Thank you, Miss Harmony.”

Alice dropped the call and turned her eyes toward everyone in the room.

“It appears that the case isn’t as straightforward as what the public thinks. Mr Daniel Jackson has approached our agency directly for help, and he needs us to prove his innocence and find the actual  killer of Harold Jackson.”

2