Ch. 19 – A Rising Star (1)
338 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It's been a few weeks since Coal Ralso received his blessing from the System, sharing his experiences with his friend Joln Novln. Joln seeing how wonderful dungeons were now stopped heading to the Colosseum instead into the dungeon. Being a gladiator is the way Joln made a living, he had no skills aside from fighting others to the death. 

For gladiators, they fight each combatant to their fullest skills, not holding anything back. They can become friend even despite their previous bouts of battle where they might've lost a finger or two. Those who sign in to fight in the Colosseum fights for glory and honor, not for monetary gain. You can of course receive money, but that is only enough to feed you with a good meal.

Many fighters gain the sponsorship of wealthy beings looking for guards or fighters here. If you are extremely lucky, you might get a blessing from a God. Those who gain those blessings were abnormal monsters who upturned the entire Colosseum on it's head. Joln was just a standard gladiator fighter, whenever those blessed fighters enter the arena he would be the one holding the monster back with the chains along with other gladiators like him.

Right now, they were inside the Caltovortta Dungeon, clearing the third floor after easily clearing the upper floor bosses. The Caltovortta Dungeon holds five floors and is one of the first discovered dungeon. For the Kingdom Everich it's one of it's staple money making machine. This is where all the new adventurers enter as their first dungeon.

With the low risks and low rewards, you will only find newbies or people knew to dungeon exploration. There have been expeditions from schools entering the dungeon as a class for learning experience. 

"Ha!"

*Smash

The sound of a large axe whirling through the air smashed onto the brittle bones of the skeleton.

-54

💀 ⌈Skeleton⌋ {Lv. 1}
▀▀▆▀▀▀▆▆▀▀▀▆▀▀▀

Joln smashed his axe onto the skeleton in front of him, nearly killing it in one hit. It fell over to the floor from the impact before Joln smashed the skull with the axe, killing it. Three bronze coins dropped from the skeleton as it vanished, leaving that behind. Picking it up, he turned to his friend Coal.

Slain 💀 ⌈Skeleton⌋ {Lv. 1} gained 7 xp
Drops: 
⌈Bronze Coin x3⌋

"The boss room is up next. You ready?"

"Yeah, I have the map for the third floor."

"Isn't that expensive?" Joln questioned Coal because picking up bronze coins from these monsters aren't enough to buy it.

"I used my savings that I was planning to get a better sword. Since I got one from my god, I have no need for that. I used that for this map." Coal held up an enchanted map. He talked about how he received the quest from his god. Each dungeon the layout on each floor changes, and it's different each dungeon. For the Caltovortta dungeon, it changes all five floors every two years. 

The bigger the dungeon, the longer it will take for each floor to change. No one knows the duration of the larger dungeons, as they have yet to see a change. "It says here for the second floor, the boss room contains three skeletons, an archer, a swordsman, and a caster." Coal read the information provided by the second floor map he purchased a year ago. 

"So you never beat the boss of this dungeon before?" Joln wondered what dungeon explorers do, after all as a gladiator it is simple. You just fight one another, no tricks, just brawn and strength. "Before I wouldn't but now that I am blessed with my god. I can fight them." Coal recalled last week when he solo'd the first dungeon boss, a giant slime.

Normally, cheap weapons would dissolve in its body, but this sword didn't. It instead started to freeze the giant slime, every slash he unleashed on the slime. Before, he wasn't willing to risk his life on the third floor until he defeated that slime boss and received a rare amulet. Coal, taking a second look at his status to make sure he had everything he needed.

Status

  Name: Coal Ralso HP ▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ Tier ➢ 0
  Class: Swordsman MP ▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ Lv. 18
  Job: Adventurer SP ▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ XP ▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

Attributes

   STR 22 END 19 AGI 23 INT 11
   VIT 16 CON 15 DEX 20 WIS 13

Skills

[Pickpocket] Lv. 6 [Strike] Lv. 5 [Calculate] Lv. 5
[Stealth] Lv. 4 [Run] Lv. 6 [Haggle] Lv. 7
[Slash] Lv. 1 [Parry] Lv. 1 [Stab] Lv.1

Equipment

{Slime Amulet} (Armor, Rare)
{Bone Chilling Sword} (Weapon, Rare)

"I'm ready." Pushing open the door to the boss room, he and Joln enter inside. The door closes after they enter, locking them inside. The reasons why scouts are highly valued to explore each room is because you don't know which is a trapped room or which is a boss room. After entering those rooms, the only way you can escape is to kill the boss or disable the trap.

Once Coal and Joln entered the room after the door closed, they spotted three skeletons, one wielding a bow, another holding a staff, and the third carrying a sword. As the skeletons noticed their presence without the chit-chat, they immediately attacked the intruders. 

*Twang

An arrow flew through the air, straight to Joln. Seeing it come, he blocked it with his large axe. Joln was experienced in fighting archers in the arena, not just arrows but rocks and other small projectiles. They didn't need to communicate with one another, Coal and Joln both knew each other fighting style. Coal sneaking flanked the right side as Joln shouted, gathering the attention of the three skeletons onto him.

Being a gladiator, he knew a few tricks to gain the crowds' attention. The caster skeleton's eyes glows as a blue aura manifested before him. Mana Bolt! The most basic mana spells that all mages know of, a blue orb, flew off to Joln. Magic is always tricky to fight off, as a melee fighter getting close to a mage is the biggest trouble they have.

Joln thrust his axe into the ground before his entire body turned red, all his muscles bulged out. Displacing the ground, he threw the broken rubble to the caster, effectively blocking the mana bolt. While causing a smokescreen hiding his body, the skeletons wondered where he disappeared. 

Coal kept his eye on those three skeletons, targeting the archer first. Thanks to Joln their attention was placed on him during those few seconds, Coal flanked to come behind them. With a slash, he cut the archer skeleton's back. 

-23

💀 [Archer Skeleton] {Lv. 3}
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▆

"Sturdy."

Coal's arm felt weak from attacking the tough bones. Many newbies get mistaken thinking that the boss monsters are as the same as those that roam the floor. Many died to this assumption, thinking they were only bigger and had a little more health. Not only does the boss monsters have a stronger defense, but they contain skills.

The archer skeleton, finding that it got attacked, turned around and used a skill. Coal, seeing its arm glowing green, knew he had to dodge. Or he would be critically injured. "Quick Shot!" This was a basic archer skill their arm would glow green releasing the arrow faster and at the range he is at he would surely be unable to dodge.

In slow-motion, Coal seeing the bow become charged up as the other two skeletons turned to him. In the corner of his eye, something fast was flying, smashing the archer skeleton down to the ground, interrupting the skill. "Joln!" Coal shouted in gratitude, Joln thrown his axe smashing the archer skeleton. 

Crit* -67

💀 [Archer Skeleton] {Lv. 3}
▀▀▀▀▆▀▀▀▆▆▀▀▆▀▀▀▀

With the three skeletons sandwiched in between those two fighters, they worked together as a team. Joln would interrupt those who tried to attack Coal. And Coal would do the same with his sword, freezing them. Soon, they were able to kill those three skeletons.

Slain 💀 [Archer Skeleton] {Lv. 3} gained 24 xp
Drops: 
[Silver Coin x2]

Slain 💀 [Sword Skeleton] {Lv. 3} gained 24 xp
Drops: 
[Damaged Leather Chestplate x1] [Silver Coin x1]

Slain 💀 [Caster Skeleton] {Lv. 3} gained 24 xp
Drops: 
[Condensed Mana Orb x1]

12