Chapter 5
48 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Frank had just finished feeding the animals, when Emily called out to him.

"Hey, what is happening?" Frank looked at the people who were before the front desk, and Emily motioned him over.

"These people want to adopt," Frank didn't need to be told twice.

"Follow me, I have just the pet for you," Frank led them straight to little Alex's cage and bent down to greet the puppy.

"This is Alex. He likes baths, belly rubs, toys and walks. He is quite well-behaved, despite not being trained," the woman of the two looked uncomfortable at the hopeful look the puppy was giving her.

"I am certain that Alex is a good dog, but we are here for a cat. Our son is allergic to dogs," Frank nodded, dejected. He gave Alex a pat on the head and stood up.

"Well then, may I suggest Aria? A more behaved cat you won't find," he led them to the cat stretch of the shelter and showed them the black and white cat.

Aria sat on her back legs and curled her tail around them.

"Oh, she is so sweet," gushed the woman. "To tell you the truth, we are here because our son, Bobby, saw your poster about little Alex. He told us that, if we can't save him, then at least we could save a cat."

Frank did an internal whop of joy at the prospect that his poster had gotten people to consider adoption. Even if it was not Alex, the poster had had the desired effect.

"Aria, unlike other cats, doesn't have anything against baths," Frank began to sing the cat's prizes as the couple listened, enraptured. When he was done, he looked at the two expectantly.

"Does she have any illnesses?" Asked the man, and Frank shook his head.

"She was well taken care of, until" Frank stopped himself from saying her owners grew tired of her. He didn't want the cat to hear such a thing. Sure, Aria couldn't understand him, but just to be on the save side, he didn't utter the words.

"Is she good with children?" Asked the woman, poking a finger through the bars. Aria got up and went to nuzzle onto the digit.

"She is good with everyone. How old is your son?" Frank looked with satisfaction as Aria began to purr. The woman was smiling brightly, and even the man was cracking a grin.

"He is five. Also, he can already read and write. He was the one who read the poster to the rest of the children. You should have seen them. The entire playground gathered around a tree and, speaking about pet rescue," the woman got a far away look on her face. Clearly proud with her child.

"Your son's heart is in the right place," commented Frank. If he ever got children, he would wish they were like her son.

"It is, true. And we have to take this beauty with us. Robert, we will take Aria, won't we?" The woman looked at her husband expectantly, who nodded.

"We will need to check her out at the vet, won't we?" Frank shook his head.

"She has all her check-ups and is healthy. You can take her straight home. We also offer pamphlets on the care of animals. When I got my dog from here, I also was given a link to a pet care YouTube channel that collaborates with the shelter," the couple nodded and Frank opened the cage. He carefully scooped up Aria and handed it to the woman, who hugged the cat and kissed her between the ears.

"Bobby will be so happy," said the woman, and Frank led the two back to the front desk.

"Do you need a carrier, or are you here with a car?" Emily looked at the calm cat with a soft expression on her face. She had rooted for Aria to be adopted, just like she had for all other animals in the shelter, but hadn't had high hopes because it was not near Christmas when the most adoptions happened.

Granted, most of the people who adopted because of a holiday returned their pets and many of them were put down, as a result, when their month was up. But, a lot found forever homes, and for that, Emily was grateful.

The couple paid, got a carrier, and left. Emily sighed and sat on her chair. Frank went and sat on the desk. In a corner that was clear of papers.

"This is the first animal I have seen adopted from here since I started working," he said, feeling tired. Alex's prospects were grim, if this statistic was the norm.

"It is tough, yes. But you can't lose hope. We do more for the animals than if they were still on the streets," Emily leaned back on her chair and closed her eyes. "Even if I also feel like it is not enough."

"Does it ever get easier?" Asked Frank. "The animals trust us, and yet, we are the ones who cart them to the vet for their final moments."

"It doesn't," Emily sighed and opened her eyes. There was a list with the animals that needed to be carted to the vet tomorrow evening. "Some of your favorites are getting the injection."

She handed the list to Frank, who saw Snow's name put down, as well as Archie the hamster and a couple of others.

"Not on my watch," spoke Frank, determined. He got off the desk and pulled out his phone. He sent a note to his former weightlifting teammates with the following message.

Last call for five wonderful animals. They will be put down, if none of you step up.

Snow the cat likes to curl up around a ball of yearn and purr his days away.

Archie the rabbit is happiest with a carrot between his cheeks.

Gregory the hamster likes to be let out of his cage and follow people around like a puppy.

A more fun dog than Leslie the husky you won't find. Karl, this dog is practically perfect for you and your morning jogs.

And, finally, a calm lass by the name of Samantha needs to spend her twilight years curled up somewhere warm, purring her days away.

We have been through thick and thin together, and you are all my friends. So, as a friend, I ask you: Give these animals a chance for a longer life. Let them bring light and happiness into your days.

Frank placed his phone back in his pocket and went back to work. Just as he was preparing to leave work, his phone buzzed.

"When do I come for the husky?" It was Karl, and Frank couldn't be happier.

I will be giving a lot more attention to the side characters in future chapters. Know that no character is an extra. If they are named, they will appear in more than one chapter. (Well, some of the animals won't, but the rule goes for all the humans.)

2