Chapter 14
32 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They went to the picknick are of the park with their food and the plastic cutlery that the restaurant had given them. They picked a table with a lamp close by it and sat down.

As they opened their duck with vegetables boxes, their mouths watered. Frank raised his tea plastic cup and Emily did the same. They pressed their cups together and smiled.

"To many more animals in warm homes," said Emily, before she took a sip.

"To many such dinners," Frank added, and he, too, took a sip. His face scrunched up at the bitter taste.

"I think I have never had a tea this bitter before," granted, Frank's experience with tea was limited to mint and lemon.

"It is an acquired taste," admitted Emily, taking another sip from the warm liquid.

"Well, let us dig in," Frank placed his cup down and took the plastic fork. He speared what looked like a squash and brought it to his mouth. It had a spicy feel to it. Not too sour, not too sweet. It was just the right among of salty, and it had been fried until it was nice and savory.

"Good?" Emily took a bit of the onion and ate it.

"I think I need to get the recipe from the owner of the restaurant. Or, at least, the name of the dish," Frank said after swallowing. Emily took some duck and ate it, too.

"I doubt that he will give it to you. Most of his dishes are family recipes," Frank sighed at that.

"All the good restaurants work with family recipes, it is simply not fair," grumbled Frank and Emily smiled. When Frank behaved like that, like someone younger than his years, he was very endearing.

"Do you enjoy cooking, Frank?" Emily took some more of the food. When she tasted it, she found that she had taken a carrot that tasted like caramel. She wondered briefly how the chef had done it, and then remembered her own words. It would remain a mystery, it seems.

"My mother taught me when I was little," Frank said between bites. He took some bitter green tea to wash his mouthful down and then got a faraway look on his face.  "I haven't visited her in years."

"Family troubles? Sorry, if that came off like I was trying to nose my way into your personal life," Emily berated herself for blurting such a thing out. Frank was just a colleague, and they didn't know each other that well.

"Something like that. She never approved of me being a weightlifter. We still have our phone calls for every holiday, but I haven't visited her since I became a professional weightlifter. She must be happy, now," Emily did not like the bitterness in Frank's voice. Bitterness poisoned the spirit, and Frank deserved better.

"You should visit her. This weekend, actually. I can cover for you," there had to be one person always in the shelter, as it worked for seven days in the week. Frank could take a paid leave for the weekend and Emily could captain the ship, so to speak.

"I don't want to unload all that work on you. I mean, with how delicate you are," teased Frank and Emily brandished her fork at him.

"I'll have you know, Mr. Dorrens, that I was on the track team in high school," Frank nodded, but his smirk didn't leave his face.

"That doesn't mean you can lift weights," he said in a sing-song voice, and Emily picked up a daisy and threw it at him. Frank caught the flower and placed it between his lips, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively.

"I can do all that you can, when it comes to work. I was alone for a long time, you know?" And it was true.

 Emily hadn't minded the increased workload all these years. And, if her boss hadn't decided that she needed to keep an eye on the administration aspect of the running of the shelter with someone else becoming the main caretaker, she would still be showering the animals with love and care.

Not that she had stopped — now. She still made sure to greet the animals and sneak them toys, when her budged would allow, but nowadays, she was more of a pencil pusher.

"You are Wonder Woman, I must admit," Frank said, and Emily was surprised by the tenderness in his voice. She blushed and hoped that the light of the lamp was not strong enough to give her away.

"So, it is decided, then? In two days, you are taking a day off, and you are going to go see your mother. You can't live with so many bad feelings between you and the woman who is the most special to you," Emily chastised, and Frank nodded. Placing a hand on his heart.

"I give you my word that I will even bring her flowers," Emily nodded, appeased.

"And muffins," Emily added, and Frank arched an eyebrow.

"I am not good with baked goods," he admitted, and he looked down at his half-eaten food.

"That is just fine, I'll help," Emily offered. Her heart was rushing a mile a minute. What was she doing? Offering to invite Frank to her apartment? She had not had anyone over since her break-up. No, tonight was pleasant, and she was not going to think about her ex.

"Well, if you are offering," Frank extended his hand and Emily made to shake it, but then, he gently turned it around and kissed the back of it. "Let it not be said I turned down a lady."

He was staring into her eyes the whole while, and Emily resisted the urge to squeal. She had only read about men like this and never even imagined that there were some that behaved like that. But they were just friends, she reminded herself. But, a small part of her dared to hope.

"Then, Friday night, it is a bake-off," Emily managed to say, even though her voice came out squeaky. Frank let go of her hand and went back to his food. In his mind, he was happy he had scored a second date.

2